jmw23

Individual Counters Now Available!

21 posts in this topic

Great news! Now MAS is selling their Infinity counters individually. I have no excuse not to finally pick them up. Here's my question: I am new to the game, but I like it. I want to get an assortment of counters to cover what I'll need. What do you pros recommend I pick up? Thanks!

I recommend Suppressive Fire counters if they have any!

Depending on your force you might also want to pick up some mines and camo counters.

OK, some Suppressive Fire, mines, and camo. Anything else? I figure regular/irregular is probably not necessary...

If you're buying more than a dozen or so then it's cheaper buying them from me. ;) Especially within the UK.

If you're going to use glass beads for Orders, something like this is a decent starter:

2 Wound 1

3 different Camo

1 TO Camo

1 Wound 2

3 Unconscious

1 Immobilised

1 Disabled

2 Suppression Fire

1 Burnt

1 Link Leader

3 Prone

1 Unloaded

If you want Order tokens, add:

11 Regular Orders

2 Impetuous Orders

2 Irregular Orders

OK, some Suppressive Fire, mines, and camo. Anything else? I figure regular/irregular is probably not necessary...

Although you do seem to like the MAS markers a lot (actually I like them a lot myself, I just think they're too expensive), you can easily build these markers yourself.

You can see how I did mine myself here. All you need is a printer or get the markers printed in a copyshop/photo printing station (I don't know if you have such, where I live you can easily print photos in drugstores).

Get some scissors or (better) a circle punch and punch/cut them out.

Then just glue them to bases (if you like 25mm markers of everything messing up your table ;)) or if you have printed them smaller, glue them to coins (I used 0.01€ coind here, that's reasonably cheap to have a very big amount of markers).

If MAS offered smaller tokens like these coin sized ones I'd actually even consider buying some of their stuff, but as it is now, it just gets too cluttered for my taste :)

I'm with you Caranthar, the 25mm doesn't suit all of the types of markers.

Perhaps you would like what I'm workin' on:

7899535060_becfd0a9a7_s.jpg

In future we'll resize some of the markers for sure. We just don't have enough time for this right now...

I'm with you Caranthar, the 25mm doesn't suit all of the types of markers.

Perhaps you would like what I'm workin' on:

7899535060_becfd0a9a7_s.jpg

Unfortunately that picture is so small I can't see what you're working on ;)

heh sorry. Shoulda previewed that!

Maybe this will be bigger.

7902435342_f87c09c100_z.jpg

Edit: Arg, you'l have to check the link, its the max size on flickr and still linking small.

Basically, I'm going to get a 45mm circle lasercut, and then a 25mm circle and cut out for those types of makers, then the outerring is cut into quarters, so they slot onto a 25mm base during games.

Ichipoxi: Hope you guys get sorted soon, must be a real pain!

heh sorry. Shoulda previewed that!

Maybe this will be bigger.

7902435342_f87c09c100_s.jpg

Edit: Arg, you'l have to check the link, its the max size on flickr and still linking small.

Basically, I'm going to get a 45mm circle lasercut, and then a 25mm circle and cut out for those types of makers, then the outerring is cut into quarters, so they slot onto a 25mm base during games.

Ichipoxi: Hope you guys get sorted soon, must be a real pain!

:huh: So what exactly is that? Status rings? :)

It's pretty much what I proposed to MAS when they were thinking about markers.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6654

So each marker for status effects - wounds, immobilised, out of ammo etc. - would be on a quarter ring type marker. Up to 4 markers would fit around one base.

I plan to even expand this to include things like impersonation - so the level of impersonation is represented by the marker and I get to use awesome models from other ranges to represent the impersonator without having to collect the range, immersion win!

The typical markers such as camo and depolyables will be printed on the central 25mm circle. As these can't really be downsize, and also ensure there is as little waste as possible.

Unfortunately the dude who was going to help with the art and printing the markers is dealing with homefront issues right now. So there is a bit of a delay in when I will get them. Currently I am learning vector drawing on inkscape so I can create the art / lasercutter plans. If anyone would like to help that would be awesome, because as you can see I'm pretty amatuer.

So each marker for status effects - wounds, immobilised, out of ammo etc. - would be on a quarter ring type marker. Up to 4 markers would fit around one base.

I plan to even expand this to include things like impersonation - so the level of impersonation is represented by the marker and I get to use awesome models from other ranges to represent the impersonator without having to collect the range, immersion win!

The typical markers such as camo and depolyables will be printed on the central 25mm circle. As these can't really be downsize, and also ensure there is as little waste as possible.

Unfortunately the dude who was going to help with the art and printing the markers is dealing with homefront issues right now. So there is a bit of a delay in when I will get them. Currently I am learning vector drawing on inkscape so I can create the art / lasercutter plans. If anyone would like to help that would be awesome, because as you can see I'm pretty amatuer.

I don't see the point in doing it like that yet :)

Every time I moved the figure I'd have to properly rearrange the markers around the base again (if I didn't, it made no sense to put then on quarter rings in the first place).

If you want to give them a try though, I can look into the vector drawing, I've done lots of things in Inkscape (and hecke, even GIMP can do vector drawing) and feel pretty confident wit it.

I don't see the point in doing it like that yet :)

Every time I moved the figure I'd have to properly rearrange the markers around the base again (if I didn't, it made no sense to put then on quarter rings in the first place).

If you want to give them a try though, I can look into the vector drawing, I've done lots of things in Inkscape (and hecke, even GIMP can do vector drawing) and feel pretty confident wit it.

Magnets :)

I need to get a few more details from the guy about exactly the output I should need:

ie. what type of line gets cut (for the shapes) and which lines will just be burned (for the art).

But if you feel like working on your vector skeelz I can send you my template for the quartered circle and the types I'm after and we could "crowdsource this shiz". I'd love the help and it would bring some variety! Maybe then we can make it freely available if anyone else wants to have the different style of marker and can find someone to print/lasercut(etch).

Magnets :)

I need to get a few more details from the guy about exactly the output I should need:

ie. what type of line gets cut (for the shapes) and which lines will just be burned (for the art).

But if you feel like working on your vector skeelz I can send you my template for the quartered circle and the types I'm after and we could "crowdsource this shiz". I'd love the help and it would bring some variety! Maybe then we can make it freely available if anyone else wants to have the different style of marker and can find someone to print/lasercut(etch).

So you mean having magnets in the bases or in the markers?

Having magnets in the markers means you had to put a magnet into every marker and some kind of ferromagnetic metal- or magnetic foils into every base. Lots of work ;)

Having magnets in the bases would also mean putting 4 (if you go for quarter circles) magnets into each base, lots of work again. And then you'd have to put a counterpart for the magnets on each marker.

Then the markers would have to have a beveled edge on the inner circle (contrary to the beveled edge on the base) or they would raise off the table due to the bases' beveled edge.

Then different bases have different bevel angles, which means you had to make different markers for different kinds of bases.

Having to cut a beveled edge on the markers also makes them not suitable for laser-cutting, since you can only do cuts perpendicular to the surface, so you'd have to cast the markers.

You see, lots of stuff to think about ;)

If you need help with the vectors, you can still let me know, but all in all I think there are too many problems to overcome here to make these markers worthwile (just to have them magnetically connected to the base).

So you mean having magnets in the bases or in the markers?

Having magnets in the markers means you had to put a magnet into every marker and some kind of ferromagnetic metal- or magnetic foils into every base. Lots of work ;)

Having magnets in the bases would also mean putting 4 (if you go for quarter circles) magnets into each base, lots of work again. And then you'd have to put a counterpart for the magnets on each marker.

Then the markers would have to have a beveled edge on the inner circle (contrary to the beveled edge on the base) or they would raise off the table due to the bases' beveled edge.

Then different bases have different bevel angles, which means you had to make different markers for different kinds of bases.

Having to cut a beveled edge on the markers also makes them not suitable for laser-cutting, since you can only do cuts perpendicular to the surface, so you'd have to cast the markers.

You see, lots of stuff to think about ;)

If you need help with the vectors, you can still let me know, but all in all I think there are too many problems to overcome here to make these markers worthwile (just to have them magnetically connected to the base).

Well yes, you seem quite apt at the why nots there. Unless your view is the effort to create the art etc for the little ring markers is not worth it versus just buying MAS or printing some off.

Generally I just don't like status markers being circles is the core of it.

BUT, many of your issues are somewhat pedantic if we ignore the above point that your viewpoint is already biased (initial effort = too much).

1. I don't see even if the markers are not magnetised that its any more tedious than regular markers.

2. If you drill into the beveled base at a flat angle and embed the magnet you can have a perpindicular connection. - Yes this means the magnet either sticks out or you need to flatten the lower portion of the bevel.

3. The markers then either have another magent embeded or some magnetic material stuck on the inside.

2 & 3. solve many of your problems already, but yes I can't argue that its not a lot of effort (it probably is).

Realistically if you wanted a perfect fit then casting would be the way to go, and you'd probably also have to have custom bases already.

But magnetising is a "might be nice" feature. In reality, I don't think these markers will be any more tedious than the current markers when models are moving. For me, markers are to remind me of a model's status, when I'm using the model I don't need reminding, so the markers only need replacing after the model is done his job and will just hang there till next turn.

Well, theretically yes - but rather as a personal commision rather than a mass product... May i enquire what unit do you need it for? Just asking ;)

If you're interested in this 40mm token please write to service @ microartstudio.com

I think he wants the "large" Holo token for the Yu-Jing Lu-Dun REM, the only REM/40mm based model to have the Holoprojector,and Lv2 no less!

I think he wants the "large" Holo token for the Yu-Jing Lu-Dun REM, the only REM/40mm based model to have the Holoprojector,and Lv2 no less!

Thats the one.

I thought that I might as well ask. I suppose I could embed a 20mm token in a 40 mm base.