Domo

Inquisition: Paradiso - Chronicling The Club Campaign!

32 posts in this topic

Greetings one and all. This topic will be a long running report of the Exeter Inquisition club's campaign run, hopefully getting as many of our participating members involved in regaling their impressive feats and dire miseries.

I will be updating this post as we progress, with the various matchups and results for all the missions. Matchups are picked at random and we are giving two weeks to get the mission played so this will be a pretty long run thread.

We will also be encouraging our members to nominate someone from each game to come here and write something for each game, be it an in depth battle report or just a brief summary giving the highlights.

Mission 101 - Data Recovery
Domo (Dom) vs MightyMuffin (Paul) or Highlander L'Oreal Edition - Aleph vs Ariadna
IJW (Ian) vs Shaktar (Luke) or Alien vs Trader - Nomad vs Combined
Crinos (Richard) vs Jason or Beauty and the Beast - Aleph vs Ariadna
Rend (Richard) vs Spence or Crouching TAG, Hidden Ninja - PanO v Ju Jing

Results:
Domo - 3VP, MightyMuffin - 6VP, Victory to Ariadna (Batle Report)
IJW - 6VP, Shaktar - 4VP, Victory to Nomads (Battle Report)
Crinos - 7VP, Jason - 4VP, Victory to Ariadna (Battle Report)
Rend - 7VP, Spence - 0VP, Victory to Yu Jing (Battle Report)

Mission 102 - Triangulation
Crinos (7vp) vs. REND (7vp)
mightymuffin (6vp) vs. IJW (6vp)
Shaktar (4vp) vs. Jason (4vp)
Domo (3vp) vs. Spence (0vp)

Results
Crinos - 8VP, Rend - 2VP, Victory to Ariadna (Battle Report)
MightyMuffin - 3VP, IJW - 8VP, Victory to Nomads (Battle Report)
Shaktar - 1VP, Jason - 1VP, Draw? Tiebreak? (pts left on table?)
Domo - 8VP, Spence - 1VP, Victory to Aleph (Battle Report)

Mission 103 - Central Seizure
Crinos (15vp) vs. IJW (14vp)
Domo (11vp) vs. Rend (9vp)

Results
Crinos - 4VP, IJW - 2VP, Victory to Ariadna  (Battle Report soon?)
Domo - 0VP, Rend - 3VP, Victory to JSA (Battle Report soon?)

Mission 201 - Jungle Ambush
Crinos (19vp) vs. REND (12vp)
Domo (11vp )vs. IJW (16vp)

Results
Crinos - ??VP vs. REND - ??VP, Victory to Ariadna (Battle Report soon?)
Domo - 0VP vs. IJW - 6VP, Victory to Bakunin (Battle Report)

Mission 202 - Hidden Witness
MightyMuffin (9vp) vs. Shaktar (5vp)
Jason (4vp) vs. Spence (1vp)

Results
MightyMuffin - ??VP, Shaktar - ??VP, Victory to Ariadna (Battle Report soon?)
Jason - ??VP, Spence - ??VP, Victory to be determined...

I'd like to read some reports on those battles. Are there going to be any?

Most definatley! I just finished writing this up in between working...

Mission 101, Aleph vs Ariadna

Unfortunatley I have no pictures of the table, IJW took some but he is now on holiday... Suffice to say it was a rather crowded urban district with generally short lines of fire. Notably, the central objective ended up inside a building on the first floor (second floor to those not from the UK).

Paul (MightyMuffin) won the WIP roll, and following my decisive victory in our practice game last week, decided that first turn was the most important thing for his chances of winning.

Lists and Deployment

I cannot recall the specifics of his list, but it contained 2 engineers, 2 minesweeper baggage bots, some Galwegians, a mercenary hacker and a linkteam of Scots Guard lead by William Wallace. All spread across 2 combat groups. He went for a rather even deployment, spreading his forces across the width of the board, with 3 Scots Guard with Missile launchers stood on a rooftop to try and dissauge anyone from running around in the open.

My list contained 2 Sophotects, 2 Nagas with MF mines, Deva and Devabot, Deva Hacker, Thamyris, Probot with EVO Repeater, Atalanta with Spotbot and a Garuda with Boarding Shotgun. My deployment was a bit more staggered, with more emphasis on the side of the board that had the furthest objective as I figured I would have to put more effort into interacting with that one due to its proximity to his deployment zone. As I knew I was going second, I kept all my models out of sight to avoid any unlucky shots. My first Naga infiltrated successfully on a 2, near the furthest objective marker, however my second one scattered from the room with the middle objective to being stood just infront of Paul's Missile Launcher-toting Scots Guard line... I placed Atalanta on a rooftop that was blocked from the Scots Guard by the 2 story building in the middle of the table, but she had at least partial line of fire to all three objectives.

Ariadna turn 1

Paul started by spreading out his Scots Guard so that my inevitable Mono-mine ARO could only potentially affect one of them, and then unloaded the link leaders assault pistol into the poor Naga's face. I failed all my arm rolls and removed the corpse from the table. Paul then managed to climb one of his minesweepers up to the rooftop level and successfully took control of the Monomine before returning the Scots Guard to their original positions. He then realised that there was a path his engineer could take to the objective on his side of the table that kept out of LoF from Atalanta, and advanced his engineer under cover of some smoke to avoid any ARO's from my nearby camo marker. This revealed that the data was in the furthest objective, the one on my side of the table.

Sending a Galwegian and his other engineer up the other flank to this objective, he was able to avoid ARO's from my Sophotect with his smoke, and from Atalanta by crawling under a walkway to interact with the objective and retrieve the data before retreating partway back to his deployment zone and running out of orders.

Aleph turn 1

First things first I ran up my nearest Sophotect to the objective marker with the data and interacted with it (twice - I failed the first time) before falling back to the Evo Probot ready for turn 2. Now hits the analysis paralysis - I had 4 orders left to try an do something to stop, or at least hinder Paul from uploading the data on his turn. After much deliberation, I moved Atalanta around until she could see the baggage bot on the roof where it had deactivated my Monomine and destoyed it. 2 orders left. I spent one order on my EVO for tracjectory assistanace, placed the template and mini on Pauls back line for taking out his other baggage bot... and failed the PH roll, scattering off the table. Using my last order I brought the Garuda back on the table just to force Paul to deal with it as it was between his engineer and his bot.

Ariadna turn 2

To deal with the Garuda, Paul had one of his Galwegians turn around and try to shoot it. My ARO shot back missed, but I made the armour save against his chainrifle. Spending another order he decided to just shroud the Garuda in smoke, winning the FtF roll against my ARO shot again. Then just for giggles he ran into the smoke in base to base to try and finish it off. After working out that due to Berserk, the electric pulse would be useless I hit him back in ARO and we ended up with a double KO.

Now the Garuda was dealt with, it was easy to run his engineer round to the bot and attempt the upload... Face to face against my two hackers, he rolled a 1. My Deva hacker looking for 12's rolled a 17. Thamyris looking for 11's rolled an 18. Arse. Game ended with victory to Ariadna!

Totting up the numbers and doing the promotion rolls, I needed a 7 or less, and failed. Paul also needed a 7 or less, and succeeded.

Hindsight being what it is, I feel I should have focussed on stopping Paul's engineer with the data before looking to secure it myself, but I was reasonably confident that my 2 hackers between them should have been able to stop at least one upload attempt. Oh well!

Hopefully Paul / MightyMuffin will stop by this thread at some point and add his thoughts too, as well as other club members sharing stories from their games. Particularly IJW and Shaktar's game which involved a Caskuda landing on and killing IJW's Lt...

Battle Report for "Beauty vs The Beast"

This is probably riddled with gramma mistakes and typos so apologies, just wanted to get it down when it was fresh ish in my mind

The Terrain

The setting was deep jungle with swamp and well more jungle! Some rocky outcrops showed from the mire. The Ariadna troops of the "Rascal Company of Ariadnan Expeditionary Force" (AEF) assumed this was the Holiday destination promised in the Commissars propaganda footage! An opinion that was confirmed when they saw a six foot, platinum blonde in the distance apparently sunbathing on some rocks.Much to their disgust, and too late, they then realised it was Achillies and his allies. So the Deck Chairs were put away and the guns and knives came out. Inevitably with this misunderstanding cost them the initiative and they stumbled to prepare for the inevitable assault.

jamprmap.jpg

Set Up

Jason chose to go first so I chose to deploy on a table edge with reasonable fire lanes to the middle and left objectives. I fielded 2 combat groups with Tankhunters, Antipodes, Dozers, 2 Mine sweeping Muls, Irmandios, Line KAzaks, a Dog Face, Chasseurs and Valeyia Gromez. Jason had Achillies, Sophotects, Myrmidons, Reaction Bot HMG-MonoMines, Reaction bagage, a Hacker and a Deva Spirfire. Jason spread over both objectives with a spear head led by achillies on the middle.I deployed defensively in the Zero viz areas of jungle with some cover of the objectives using mine layers as defensive blockers. One poor Chasseur with bad eye sight clearly wanted to ask Achilles out thinking he was still a girl and deviated on infiltration directly ahead allowing superb mining of the Middle objective at the cost of losing his camo.

Turn 1. Aleph

A Sophotect supported by a Myrm and his smoke advanced on the left flank and interfaced with the alien artifact revealing that the Middle objective had the data 1st VP to Jason. Achillies opened up with his Spitfire slaughtering the Chasseur who still thinking he was a lady left a gift of another mine in ARO. More orders were then spent clearing the mines putting Achillies by the data cache. This allowed the total reaction HMG to move in safety to the data cache then in a sinister fashion and "poop" a Monomine defending the central objective.

Ariadna

Impetuously the Irmandinos ran and smoked - resulting in one getting ventilated by the deva and HMG reaction remote. Smoke went down succesfully on the middle objective region. Meanwhile Boris the Tankhunter with APHMG duty casually flicked away his fag butt and took bead on the reaction remote and Deva. Looking to avenge his mate and hashish dealer the Irmandino by ambushin them both to death. Probably too much dope resulted in him hitting nothing and getting killed when the startled Aleph veterans opened fire with the kind of precision Boris had desired but had horribly lacked. Things looked dire, but then the autocannnon happened. The second Tank Hunter on the opposite flank, Viktor, who had been well disciplined and only indulged in excess Vodka and camo training ruptured the HMG reaction remote and proceeded to hose down the baggage bot and the deva for good measure utilizing combat camo and optimal fire lanes preventing more than one hostile reaction at a time. Having cleared the way the Dozer on the left flank moved the the artifact to gain a VP. An ominous marker moved at light speed reaching the center in a single order. The final orders saw a Mul trundle up and activate Ariandas finest mine sweeping tech (a modified Tetris console and a wireless router) - remarkably seizing control of the Mono mine and allowing the Ariadna force the joys of previously unavailable ordinance.

Aleph Turn 2

Achillies spurning the dangers of Mono mines moved up to nanopulse the Mul and forcing the Ominous marker to dodge, revealing Antipodes, the Irmandio was found cowering in safety behind some LOS blocking cover. The Muls primitive drive was mushed by the nanopulse but the dodgy dogs dodged. Achilles was sliced diced and given too short a hair cut by the Mono mine and retired to CUBE.2.0 land. A second sophotect made a dash for the centre and was critted by a lucky Chasseur. this was soon followed by a Myrm breaking cover and using smoke to close into range and chain rifle an unwitting and clumsy antipode who failed his dodge. Finally a heroic Sophotect moved up firing from the hip and slowly whittled down the antipodes to leave only one of their trinity while either avoiding or being missed by defensive fire. The hero successfully made the dash towards the central artifact and downloading the data at the cost of being stranded in contact with the prize.

Ariadna

The till this point sleeping Dog Face woke up and threw a smoke grenade over the artefact providing cover for the Irmandio. The final antipode then super jumped into CC and decided to dodge not CC for the second order (what can i say he was trying to make friends- i certainly didnt forget that a CC roll would be FtF vs the shoot). He was soon joined by the dogface in the brawl and with this distraction occuring the cowering Irmandino left cover to push up to the Artefact and download the data. He then ran back to the baggage bot and attempted a repair it with his size 10boots and broke it good and proper. Unperturbed by his act of vandalism, he sprinted on to the remaining Mul and encoded the data but was left with too little time to attempt an upload. On the right flank the second Dozer broke cover and ran to the final artifact and analyzed it for academic curiosity and engineering science.

Turn 3 Aleph

In Loss of Lt/Achillies the Aleph went into mourning. After initially considering the wisdom of Uploading the precious data while engaged in melee with a Lonely and spurned Antipode and a decidedly smelly and hairy dog Face the Sophotect decided to see if her Myrm ally could be of assistance. He moved forward boldly, knowing he had precious little time and even less range with his chain rifles. He surged forward with his focus on only one thing - annihilating the smelly wet suit clad data carrier and the Mul next to him. His eyes focused on the victim he over depended on his ODD and was struck by a High velocity cannon round of the AP+EXP variety. The myrm was made of stern stuff and was born to kill, but not stern enough to shake off that particular projectile and he erupted into a jammy smear. With no alternative the bold Sophotect tried to make a fight of it, the outcome while not certain was predictable and the Sophotect went down in a flurry of furry blows with sparkles courtesy of Teseum.

Ariadna

With only the data to upload, but the threat of the Aleph hacker still very much present the Dog Face went on a rampage (with 4 orders in addition to his own irregular impetuous). He streaked across the battlefield like a Dog after a stick! Getting slapped in the process by a combi rifle shot to the snout, which only made him faster and more angry as he transmuted from dog face to Dog Soldier. The hacker was embedded in a deep jungle glade and no LOS was possible thus the Dog Soldier chose to rely on his huge physical prowess and close combat expertise! As is always the way fortune made a huge meal of things and the Dog Soldier almost failed in this simple task of beating a mere nerd/Doc/engineer to death. In teh Dog Soldiers area of excellence, he managed to bloodied again when he lost CC, untill he finally struck a lucky blow to finish the tenacious Nerd with two degrees. With no threat of a counter hack or the Aleph having time to retreat the Skulking Irmandino uploaded the data to mission control (and most likely to his colleagues in the Brotherhood with hopes of selling it on the black market to the highest budder for an extra few Million roubles).

Within moments of the confirmation the data was secure the boys and Gals of Rascal Company set up the deck chairs, fired up the BBQ to Grill Antipode steaks and catch a few rays before someone found them work to do. As they sat drinking their Stolichnaya and smoking their filterless cigarettes a shock of colour could be seen on the chests of their drab unioforms where the Platinum Blonde hair that each now wore in their buttonholes shone.

Outcome = Ariadna (239pts surviving inc baggage) 7vp - Aleph 4 (52pts Surviving

)No promotion rolls or post game issues dealt with due to time. I played Ariadna so more detail on my actions as i remember them better (which is still poorly). Hopefully Jason can add some details, flesh out the Aleph side a bit. However ot was a fun game with some lucky and very unlucky rols on both sides. Such are the joys of gaming!

I'll add a report on my game in the next post but for now here are a few photos of the tables. Crinos and Jason set up their table later on so I do not have any shots of their table.

Mine and Spence's table, arid outpost

P1010372.jpg

P1010373.jpg

The longer straight sections of the warmill barricades acted as bridges over the gaps between the low plateau sections. This created some rather interesting sheltered areas which would become important during the actual game.

Domo and Mightymuffin's city

P1010374.jpg

P1010375.jpg

I actually really liked the layout of this table but it did seem like first turn would be a huge advantage considering the restrictive lines of sight. (As was proved in their game I suppose.)

IJW and Luke's jungle

P1010376.jpg

P1010377.jpg

The jungle board used our house rules so forests count as zero vis areas of smoke for purposes of line of sight and very difficult jungle terrain. So it wasn't all that open until you started shooting.

REND's already posted some photos, here's some more and hopefully a batrep later in the week...

paradiso-ei-1.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-2.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-3.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-4.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-5.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-6.preview.jpg

paradiso-ei-8.preview.jpg

Paul (MightyMuffin) won the WIP roll, and following my decisive victory in our practice game last week, decided that first turn was the most important thing for his chances of winning.

Lists and Deployment

I cannot recall the specifics of his list, but it contained 2 engineers, 2 minesweeper baggage bots, some Galwegians, a mercenary hacker and a linkteam of Scots Guard lead by William Wallace. All spread across 2 combat groups. He went for a rather even deployment, spreading his forces across the width of the board, with 3 Scots Guard with Missile launchers stood on a rooftop to try and dissauge anyone from running around in the open.

Hindsight being what it is, I feel I should have focussed on stopping Paul's engineer with the data before looking to secure it myself, but I was reasonably confident that my 2 hackers between them should have been able to stop at least one upload attempt. Oh well!

Hopefully Paul / MightyMuffin will stop by this thread at some point and add his thoughts too, as well as other club members sharing stories from their games. Particularly IJW and Shaktar's game which involved a Caskuda landing on and killing IJW's Lt...

That's such a good write-up that there's not much I can add to the actual report, but will add a few comments;

My list is pretty much what Domo said, but specifially I had 4 Galwegians, and 18 models spread over 2 groups.

Also, it seems a one-sided fight mainly because Domo had such bad luck, and I enjoyed the opposite. Almost anything he did appeared to go wrong; far too many scattering models, the *two* failed defensive hacking attempts, (even if he'd passed one of the two, it would've radically changed things because my only other engineer would've struggled to reach the objective and return to my remaining baggage bot), and simply lucking out that most of his army was on the wrong side for the final objective location.

When his highlight is probably, (perhaps he can confirm?), is his super-sniper obliterating my baggage bot with a DA sniper rifle, (BS20 vs my dodge on PH2), it pretty much sums up his bad luck.

On the other hand, everything seemed to fall into place for me; winning the deployment roll-off, having my super-baggage bot succeed in climbing twice, (on PH8), then taking control of the mine, (WP12), even down to where the data ended up being because I had my 2nd engineer almost perfectly placed to reach it. I even passed the promotion roll, compared to his very high roll, (IIRC about 16!).

When his highlight is probably, (perhaps he can confirm?), is his super-sniper obliterating my baggage bot with a DA sniper rifle, (BS20 vs my dodge on PH2), it pretty much sums up his bad luck.

Yup... That pretty much sums it up! As a bit more circumstantial information - I briefly mentioned that me and Paul had a practice game the week before. In short, it was the exact opposite of this game - I had first turn and 5VP at the end of turn 1 and was immediatly able to upload the data in turn 2, whereas Paul had only just been able to acquire the data when I ended the match. All equal in the end! lol!

Yup... That pretty much sums it up! As a bit more circumstantial information - I briefly mentioned that me and Paul had a practice game the week before. In short, it was the exact opposite of this game - I had first turn and 5VP at the end of turn 1 and was immediatly able to upload the data in turn 2, whereas Paul had only just been able to acquire the data when I ended the match. All equal in the end! lol!

Yeah, it was virtually identical to what happened in this game, but vice versa; e.g. in this game Dom failed the first analysis of the objective, as did I in the practice. He failed his hacking attempt(s), as did I. IIRC, even the VPs were exactly reversed as well.

Yu Jing versus Pan O (Acontecimento sectorial)

My list consisted of Sun Tze Marksman leader, guilang forward observer with deployable repeater, celestial guard hacker and celestial with control device, 2 kuang shi, shaolin with chain rifle and smoke grenades, domaru with chain rifle, mech engineer and tokusetsu engineer. Also a rui shi, lu duan, total reaction bot, total reaction baggage bot and an evo repeater baggage bot in a second combat group.

Spence had a Dragao, Toni (character tag), total reaction baggage bot, full link team of line troops (regulars I think with combi rifles a spitfire and paramedic) plus a sikh commando hacker.

There's already a shot of the table but I'll post it again as this shot was from my side so will help with my description of deployment.

P1010372.jpg

I won the roll-off and chose to go first, Spence then decided I should deploy first on the near side.

I deployed (from left to right) the shaolin and kuang shi a bit forward behind the leftmost rocky outcrop, behind the largish island like plateau were placed the total reaction baggage bot, celestial hacker, mech engineer and Sun Tze who was placed on top of the island prone and behind the crates. On the small rocky outcrop in the middle the HMG total reaction bot was placed to cover both middle and right hand side objectives. The Lu Duan and Tokusetsu clustered behind the rock pillar a little further forward and on the right hand side the rui shi near the total reaction bot, the kuang shi controller deployed behind a security fence, the evo repeater behind the large tanks and the domaru in the sheltered spot to the right. I infiltrated the guilang intending to place him near the central objective but he scattered, fortunately right behind a pile of crates which blocked line of sight between him and a dragao! (This had been after Spence deployed as it was one of my reserve models.)

Spence deployed his tags on the right hand side in cover and with line of sight to my celestial with control device. His link team initial thought to deploy behind the furthest of the rocky plateaus on the left hand side but noticed that there the barricade concealed the fact there was a narrow gully beneath it. This seemed like an excellently defensible position to Spence so the team deployed covering the approaches with the baggage bot guarding the forward approach.

Yu Jing turn 1

My turn started with the impetuous troops moving towards the baggage bot across from them around the plateaus as it would be quicker than climbing. Fortunately the tags would have no line of sight until they reached almost halfway up the table. This gave me an idea, the shaolin started moving up once almost to the point where he would expose himself to the tag's fire and chucked a smoke grenade under the bridge to allow the shaolin a safe path to the gully that hid Spence's order monkeys. The shaolin spent a couple more orders to move up before another smoke grenade would allow him the chance to pounce. Jumping out of the smoke cloud he chain rilfed the whole link team and baggage bot. He unsurprisingly died to the hail of shots that was sent his way but the result was a disabled baggage bot and only two survivors in the link team. (Spitfire and paramedic.) To ensure he had as few orders as possible and because I still had orders to burn a kuang shi followed the example of the monk and repeated the attack leaving no survivors!

The initial shot.

P1010378.jpg

The final carnage.

P1010380.jpg

With my last orders in the first combat group recamoed the guilang he moved towards the tags. (Who failed to discover him.) The remote combat group decided to try and slow down the tags, the rui shi moved up and successfully moved into cover and placed suppression fire on the tags (even scoring a wound on the dragao) meanwhile the lu duan moved onto the centre objective.

Pan O Turn 1

Spence still had most of his points left but his order pool was paultry. The sikh commando appeared next to the processing unit looking to grab an early jump on me to search the objective there but the Lu duan revealed the holo echo in sight of him was in fact the real one and it shot him, failing to pierce his armour but making any approach to the objective very risky. The tags started moving up with the dragao managing to destroy the rui shi but not much else as it took two orders to achieve this and worse moving up brought Toni into sight of the husong total reaction remote and took a wound for his trouble.

Yu Jing Turn 2

The surviving kuang shi moved up towards the sikh before the Lu duan gunned him down and then brought back the holo echos. Now I made a move towards the mission but was a bit incautious moving my tokusetsu around. On his second move skill he moved across the line of sight of both tags. With nothing I could do to stop them the pair of crack shooters must have been taken by surprise as both missed!

You can just about see the narrow line of sight the tags were able to draw as the engineer moved towards the central objective.

P1010381.jpg

Amazed at his own luck the tokusetsu was able to search the centre objective and discovered the information was in the left objective. With a safe route it didn't take long for him to run over there and search it succesfully downloading the date but I did not fancy trying to upload it this turn. With two orders left the guilang placed a repeater in range of the tags and I tried hacking the dragao, thanks to the evo repeater this was successful and Spence was left with just Toni to do anything.

P1010382.jpg

Pan O Turn 2

Toni was moved to escape the range of the repeater but also had to shoot the total reaction bot that could see him. This saw the dice cheat Spence again as I got a crit which trumped his shots and a second wound was taken off Toni as he moved to safety. Worse was to come though as Toni climbed the rocky outcrops to gain sight of the guilang only to lose the firefight and fail the armour roll. With the last order the Dragao tried to undo the immobilisation but failed.

Yu Jing Turn 3

Last turn as Spence would have no active models next turn. The tokusetsu raced to the last objective as the evo repeater moved to rendevous with him on it. With just enough orders the engineer made it to the last objective, searched it for any further info and uploaded the data successfully.

P1010383.jpg

paradiso-ei-4.preview.jpg

As REND mentioned, we were playing some house-rules for the 'area' jungles, so all the bases with movable trees counted as zero visibility smoke if a model was inside, but low visibility when models inside were touching the edge. So once a model was inside you could either charge them, use Suppression Fire or Intuitive Attack but that was about it. However, as zero-vis zones, any firing beyond jungle areas would reveal the shooter with the usual penalties.

Also, as very difficult terrain, TAGs/Remotes/Bikes/HI/MI couldn't enter at all!

Otherwise we've found that MSV2-3 is just too powerful on jungle tables.

Ian's Nomads v. Luke's/Shaktar's Combined Army

My list, with a mighty FIVE Moarlocks!

Combat Group 1     Orders: 9

Interventor » Lieutenant (Hacking Device Plus)        SWC:0.5     Cost:26

Tomcat » Engineer                                     SWC:0.0     Cost:22

Tomcat » Engineer                                     SWC:0.0     Cost:22

Intruder » HMG, Grenade                                 SWC:1.5     Cost:44

Lunokhod »  KrazyKoala (Super-Jump)                   SWC:0.0     Cost:29

Clockmaker » Combi Rifle                              SWC:0.0     Cost:18

Moderator » Combi Rifle                               SWC:0.0     Cost:9

Moderator » Combi Rifle                               SWC:0.0     Cost:9

Intruder » X Visor                                    SWC:1.5     Cost:52

Morlock » Combi Rifle, Smoke Light GL                   SWC:1.0     Cost:16

Combat Group 2     Orders: 1

Morlock » Combi Rifle, Smoke Light GL                   SWC:1.0     Cost:16

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade                    SWC:0.0     Cost:7

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade                    SWC:0.0     Cost:7

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade                    SWC:0.0     Cost:10

Salyut Zond » (EVO Repeater)                          SWC:0.5     Cost:13

Total SWC: 6.0         Total Points: 300

The plan, fairly obviously, was to cover the table with smoke (especially from the two Morlocks with LSGL) and bring the Tomcat Engineers on behind it to search the objectives. Plus the Intruders to help cover the objectives/shoot through the smoke barrage.

Deployment

I won the roll-off and went for Initiative. Luke made me deploy on the near side of the photo above.

Most of the Morlocks deployed on the left side around the edge of the hill, the HMG Intruder was just on the edge of the jungle in the centre of my DZ with a narrow LoF to the left objective, the Clockmaker was near him ready for a dash for the central objective while the Morlock in the main group was in the right jungle with the baggage bot and Interventor hidden behind the building and a prone Intruder sniper on the roof.

Luke then deployed a bunch of Daturazi Chain Rifles, a Kurgat, Medtech, TO marker and Camo Marker. Being very distracted due to catching a flight early the next morning and not having had much sleep (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!), I didn't notice the points shortfall. More on that later...

Early Game

The first turn went pretty much to plan, with the massed waves of Morlocks running forwards and the LSGLs laying down smoke over the left and right objectives. At this point I remembered to roll for all their Metachemistry but most of it ended up being things like Climbing Plus which normally I would have loved...

Tomcat Engineer number one entered stage left in the smoke, then started using the order pool to search. Rolls a twenty. Tries again, rolls another twenty. tries again, succeeds and discovers that, as expected, the info was in the far objective.

Tomcat Engineer number two entered stage right, again in the middle of a smoke cloud. Moves up and, like his sister, fails to search! The order reserve for the main group was getting a bit small by now! Finally, Tomcat Two downloads the data and starts retreating back down the hill while the Morlock advances up onto it to cover his retreat while the rest of the Morlocks advance on the left objective. The Intruder Sniper on the roof repositions slightly to get loF to the right objective.

Finally, my LT decided to use his order to hack any low flying aircraft (Luke looked a bit worried at this point) but fluffed the roll.

Luke's turn. The Daturazi's advanced with their Impetuous Orders but were pretty well all out of sight due to the jungles.

Then, aiiie, Caskuda!

paradiso-ei-8.preview.jpg

Right on top of the baggage bot and Interventor LT! The Interventor has a go at Hacking the big bug in ARO but fluffs the roll and also dies to the explosion. The baggage bot survives. The Intruder Sniper (proxied with the Spektr), on the other hand, comes out of camo and even within the 12" dead zone manages to take a point off the Caskuda with DA Ammo!

The Caskuda's having none of this and with the first order from the reserve, hoses him down with an HMG on full burst. Cocky Mr. Sniper outshoots the bug thanks to cover, camo and us both being in the dead zones for the guns - and takes off both remaining STR points with a single DA shot, wooooooo!

In the space of two Orders we'd gone:

Me having four objective points at the end of my turn and covering the outer two objectives well.

Me being in LoL with a TAG in my backline.

Luke's biggest hitter being out of action and not having much left to threaten me with.

Talk about ups and downs!

The rest of Luke's turn involved the Daturazis, Kurgat and Medtech advancing, with the Medtech searching the middle objective in total safety due to my having sent all the Morlocks off to the left.

Mid-Game

Morlocks advance.

Rather than risk trying to upload the data with two Orders, I elect a new LT and hope that I can keep the Tomcat alive with covering fire from the nearby models.

Luke's Daturazi's advance again leading to some mutual assured Chain Rifle destruction with the Morlocks and the first Tomcat and one Daturazi going down to an ARO from the HMG intruder. He also takes out the Morlock on the right objective and gets the Medtech up to search it under smoke cover, with it managing to survive some ARO shots from the Intruder Sniper.

End Game

Morlocks advance again, leading to some more template v. Template death.

My Tomcat burns orders moving back to the heroically-surviving baggage bot, encrypts the data and manages to upload it in the face of the two camo-Hackers. The End.

After several points where the game was looking one-sided in both directions, we ended up 6 v. 4 and it could have gone either way at the end. :)

Thanks very much for the battle reports guys! Very much looking forward to more.

Thanks very much for the battle reports guys! Very much looking forward to more.

Oh there will definatley be more to come! We will be looking to do the next round of match ups on Tuesday, then its up to everyone to get their game on. Some will be arranging unofficial practice games to get their head around the mission etc, but then the week after we are missing a club night due to clashing bookings at our venue, so it may be another couple of weeks for the next round.

PlaceHolder for Yu Jing vs FRRM. Noodles vs Cheese!

The Scene

Following the BBQ and party the night before the Kazakhs of the "Rascal Company of Ariadnan Expeditionary Force" (AEF) were nursing hang overs only matched by trying to out drink Conan teh Barbarian. As such when the call to arms came in the response was sluggish and ill considered. In his wisdom rascal company Commander Pavel Tsatsouline decided it was time to test the mettle of the Merovingian contingent within his force, and also to punish them for only drinking claret and eating fine cheeses the night before thus nursing less severe hangovers.

This was the moment Lt Jacques Clouseau had been waiting for, a chance to shine and prove he was made of the right stuff! After the removal of his precious commander due to Operational Stress diagnosed on his repeated attempts on jaques life he felt he needed to get his career back on line. Springing into action and bribing key members of his company with pate and crepes the FRRM 1st “Latour” Company moved out to the location revealed in the mission designated Paradiso-101.

The Terrain

In stark contrast to the swamp and jungle of their previous encounter the mission was set in an abandoned quarry. No official records exist of the operations at this site but it must be assumed that it was abandoned, mothballed and covered up after the discovery of a number of artifacts of unknown origin. As such the terrain was a mixtre of rocky pillars, gullys and trenches inter spaced by abandoned crates, fencing and catwalks surrounding a central office complex. (No pictures are available as satellite imaging/mobile phones/cameras were forgotten about as I am useless).

102-richvsrich.gif

Image provided posthumously by Claudia Monet (Chasseur 1st Latour – FRRM)

Deployment- Lists

Having seized the initiative – which was quite the surprise Jacques pushed his troops into action immediately without assessing the situation tactically. (FRRM won initiative and chose to go 1st)

FRRM - Crinos

Grp 1 – Mission grabbers

3 Tractor Mul minesweeper

3 Dozer with Aryat cannon

2 Metro

Alguacile hacker (signed up for extreme sports holiday and was sent to the FRRM)

Chasseur mine layer

Grp 2 – The harassers

3 Chasseur Minelayers

5 Man Loup Link – 1 Sniper Rifle, 2 Viral Rifle, 2 Adhesive/BSG

2 warcors

The loup set up on the walkways on the left flank for defensive fire, bunched up due to deployment limit of 12”. 2 Muls, and the metros also set up in this area behind the rocky outcrops. The hacker took cover centrally covered by a Chasseur who mines the back end of the middle building. 2 dozers sat by the right near objective and the 3rd centrally in cover. A mul sat behind the silos on the far right and a war cor bravely stood up on the silos for flash pulse aros/good camera footage.

The chasseur contingent spread out to cover the objectives with one on each of the objectives near deployment zones. The 4th Chasseuer tried to infiltrate onto the central buildings and was distracted by the smell of freshly cooked bacon in the left flank and wandered off table totally.

Yu Jing – Rend

Not 100% sure on list.

3 Kuang Sheep – CR

1 Shaolin Monk

2 Engineers + Bot

1 Doctor

2 Celestial Guard 1 with sheep controller

Total reaction Bot

Minesweeper – baggage

Bao Multi sniper

Hac Tao Missile Launcher

Gilang hacker

Father Lucien Sforza

(as seen by Yu Jung)The Kuang Shi set up on the right flank with a Shaolin, the controller celestial set up more centrally (behind a pillar not shown on the map :( sorry). The Gilang set up as camo on the right behind the Kuang shi. The majority of the force set up out of sight behind the left side rocky outcrops but also covering for AD Mirage-5 assault. The sniper, the total reaction bot and an engineer set up on top of the rocks either prone or near the crate seeking cover.

FRRM – 1

The Chasseur in grp 1 took advantage of her order pool and knowing the reaction bot spelled death snuck forward, clumsily and was spotted and revealed. She hastily ran on (2nd short order) out of sight and recamoed, she then more carefully snuck up to an perfect angle to negate any cover and a hair breaths within optimal range for her trusty 7.65mm rifle and opened up surprising the high tech gizmowizardry. One critical hit and 2 additional hits rendered the remote to wreckage and proved old tech can thrive in a modern world (if you get lucky rolls and they don't.) Maneuvering again after restealthing she blasted away at the Bao Sniper rather less surgically but managed to down him again due to faulty Armour artificing back on the homeworld (crappy AR rolls).

The Loup Garou wanting a piece of the action moved and spread out from their clumped deployment imposed by terrain and were stunned and became slightly incontinent when the Hac Tao ML revealed from hidden deployment overlooking them with opportunity to hit 3 in 1 with his AOE. Possibly distracted by the scent of Loup Garou Urine the Hac Tao took bead on the link leader wielding a sniper rifle (allowing a FTF roll not another member of the team for a non FTF). Volume of fire beat the ML single shot devastation and the Link lived to see another day, the hac Tao shrugged off the Sniper round and nestled in more snugly to his prone deployment above the Loups.

The wandering chasseur came on table from his bacon baguette sandwich chuckled throatily as a kuang Shi shot at him with a pistol which was out of range. He lit up a gauloises and spat out a mine covering the entrance to the left deployment area. Then he strode forwards towards the Kuang Shis position getting behind the tower and dropping a defensive mine. The heoine of the middle lay more 2 mines defensively locking down the center.

Finally the Amilie the 1st dozer remembered why she was needed and on the right interfaced with the 1st artifact, knowing the pattern she needed to run in (2-3-1-5) from the Data uploaded from the encounter with the Aleph in Mission 101.

Yu Jing – 1

Impetuously the shaolin moved up and threw smoke covering randomly then by the silo ahead on the left, he than ran up and was shocked to find an AP Mine exploding in his face. The Gilang moved forwards using the smoke that deviated to provide cover. Moving behind the pillar (not on map) he shot at the unsuspecting Chasseur in her forward and highly mines area, scoring a direct hit he dropped the till then 1 woman army. Possibly a little over confidently he moved from his position of cover and was hit by an adhesive round from the Jean-Paul who was assisted by his X-visor. Failing to move fast enough he found himself firmly adhered to the floor stuck in a pose that if it was a sculpture would be called “Jean Pauls - OMG-WTF!!!!”. In response to their hacker being indisposed the engineers, in a show of Geek unity, activated his reliable little friend the Yaoxie to assist. Despite being flash pulsed in the optics by the Brave War-Cor who was getting carried away and was wishing they had joined up not gone to Journalism college the yaoxie unhindered pushed on. Moving into a smoke screen provided by the Celestial Guardsman with a smoke launcher the engineers set to help his ally, unfortunately he had not studied as hard as he should , as such he was not as familiar with cleaning up sticky mess from an ADHL launcher as he should be, too much hentai he reminisced. After realizing that he had used to wrong solvent and there was no hope in releasing the helpless Guilang he decided to save face (and the need to commit hari-kari) by pushing onto the 2nd Artefact and obtaining the data. Leaving the Yaoxie under the protection of the Kuang Shi, he breathed a sigh of relief and started working on his excuses for failing in releasing their only electronic warfare specialist.

Turn 2 – FRRM

The forward placed Chasseur Bobet placed his final mine to cover his left flank then snuck to he right of the tower to take careful aim on the Hac Tao and squeezed the trigger blade back, too late he realized he was set for full auto so his careful burst went wild and revealed him to all but the deaf blind and stupid. The Hac Tao's response skimmed over his left and Bobet breathed a sigh of relief thanking his careful subterfuge of placing his hat on top of the boxes next to him thereby confusing the HI terror. On the opposite flank Matilde the final chasseur pushed forwards aggressively into the enemy back lines missed her camo attack on an unwitting Kwang Shi as she was too out of breath. The retort from the Kwang Shis chain rifle blast rattled off the rocks as she cowered and gasped for air, fearful of the reprisals of having left herself so exposed and over extended in enemy lines.

Realising the firefight was goig her way the Dozer broke from cover behind Artefact 2 and sprinted for the middle buildings. Making it unseen to the ladder at the rear she climbed to within feet of the Artifact, however on reaching the top of the ladder she saw a Kohei-engineer lying atop the rocky outcrop ahead of her. Snapping her rifle to her shoulder and ignoring the potential to seek a better point of cover she let loose a precison burst of fire that critically struck the foe in the face rendering him unconscious. With a wry grin and a growing feeling of invincibility she shouldered her weapon and strode to the artefact confident that its secrets were hers. After obtaining the second data crystal she retraced her steps moving back down the ladder and again made post haste for the well guarded area on her left flank protected by the Loup garou link and friendly mine field provided by the Chasseurs.

In a bout of boredom the second dozer Charlie who had been stood by the 1st Artifact moved to examine it also obtaining teh data. Frank the 3rd dozer meanwhile continued to enjoy his Boursin, Brie and St Agur cheese plate which he had set out on being informed he was holding the middle and was not to move unless Amelie or charlie went down, in this situation only he was to get to their body and take the data from them and complete the mission – his interpretation “look after the cheese and wine”.

Yu Jing Turn 2

The Kwanh Shi moved up and blasted away at Matilde as she caught her breath, with nothing else to do she unleashed her Flamthrower incinerating the Kwang Shi as she herself felt her flesh being torn from her bones by supersonic shrapnel. At this point Father Lucien advanced with his holo echoes – unexpectedly he was assaulted by an ADHL and a warcor flashpulse. The untrained eye of the warcor pulsed a Holo but the lucky/trained eye of the Loup struck Lucien with a canister of instant drying glue/goo, the unanticipated attack resulted in him a statue with no value beyond the aesthetic (bugger those Glued Irreg troops).

In an attempt to revive the engineer atop the rocks the Celestial with smoke launcher rather too enthusiastically fired smoke on 2 occasions missing wildly adn providing no benefit. With time short the Doc attempted to climb to him and in his haste made only half the progress he should due to adrenalin imposed shaky knees and sweaty palms. Eventually realizing that despite his best efforts without the smoke to ascent to the top would result in his having to face fire from at least 3 of the Luop link team.

As a final gesture of defiance a Kwang Shi moved forward under a smoke screen to engage the Chasseur Bobet in melee, hitting him but failing to wound Bobet struck back with his Blade only to have it also turn aside without inflicting harm.

FRRM – 3

The faceless Kwang shi once again struck out at Bobet to no avail and again Bobet struck his foe with no notable effect, the dance of steel continued.

With one of his comerades in Melee and 2 unconscious the final Chasseur, Laurent, pushed forward and moving up behind cover and out of sight reached the final artifact, under camo he bravely shot the Kwang shi controller in the back extinguishing his life's flame. Then using his pilot light from his flamethrower he lit a filterless smoke and took up watch.

With the path cleared Amelie advanced in Laurents footsteps, sadly with no camo she drew the attention of the Hac Tao and started weaving and praying to all that is “Couture”. Her efforts were rewarded as the hac Taos strike missed wide. Promising the gods of fashion she would buy a new Gucci handbag with her next pay cheque she ran up to the final artifact using the large pillar to block sight to her. With plenty of time to spare (6 orders) she reached the final artifact and with the knowledge of obtaining the data from the previous 3 she could hardly fail to obtain the data. Then calmly with no chance of the enemy blocking her attempts (as the Guilang was head covered head to to in goo and the wrong solvent) she made the final attempt to triangulate. With 5 chances to succeed she obviously made it first try.

The day belonged to Jaque Clouseau and his intrepid troops. Jaques had his career back on line and Amelie was already chewing the Alguaciles ear to get a broadband access to “Amazon.co.universe” to shop for handbags.

Outcome

Yu Jing - 2 VP

FRRM - 8VP

Just as an explanation for the lack of updates, we're taking a pretty relaxed approach to the campaign and are taking a month or so over each chapter rather than tweaking match-ups if players can't make it to a particular week's meeting.

Round two matchups:

Crinos (7vp) vs. REND (7vp) (played last night, see above)

mightymuffin (6vp) vs. IJW (6vp)

Shaktar (4vp) vs. Jason (4vp)

Domo (3vp) vs. Spence (0vp) (played last night)

Yes, I just updated post 1 with the round 2 matchups, and I'll tweak it later with proper links to the batreps :) and results etc.

For now, here is my game with Spence:

Mission 102

Domo (Aleph, Steel Phalanx) Vs. Spence (Pan-O, Acontecimento Shock Army)

Aleph Force:

Group 1

Lamedh

Lamedh

Zayin (HMG, MF Mines)

Probot (EVO)

Net Rod

Myrmi (Chain Rifle)

Myrmi (Chain Rifle)

Myrmi (Chain Rifle)

Ajax

Group 2

Thamyris

Nesaie Alke (Lt)

Thoratikai (Engineer)

Thoratikai (SMG)

Chandra (Hacking Device)

Ekdromos (Hacker)

Pan-O Force:

Group 1

Toni Macayana

Acontec Regular (Lt)

Acontec Regular

Acontec Regular

Acontec Regular

Acontec Regular

Akalis (HMG)

Akalis (HMG)

Group 2

Sierra (HMG, MF Mines)

Machinist

Akalis (Combi Rifle)

Akalis (Combi Rifle)

The Game

Unfortunatley no pictures, we started the game late in the evening and were rushing to finish it off in time :( I won the roll off, and chose Initiative. My first turn I moved one of my Lamedhs up to the nearest marker (number 2) and had Thamyris discover my sequence (2-3-1-5). I then activated the first marker, and rolled the Lamedh to the second one and had Thamyris activate that one too and then pulled back into safety for my reactive phase. I also had my Zayin poop out a couple of MF mines over the marker that would be Spence's 5th marker (as all sequences end with 5), and positioned it on the corner of a building to provide some covering fire.

Spence moved his Machinist up to his number 1 marker and discovered his sequence (1-3-4-5) and then moved the Sierra to cover the centre area. He then brought in his first Akali (HMG) using AD2 (he had secretly informed another club member that all his commandos were using AD2 prior to the game starting), out of sight and popped his head around a corner to shoot at my Zayin. Unfortunatley Zayin scored 2 crits... Bringing in his second Akali (HMG) to do the exact same, Zayin scored another crit, although so did the Akali and the Zayin went down. Spence then spent the rest of his orders to bring his link team of regulars forward, and had the link leader sniped by Ajax while a myrmidon put smoke down. His last order was the Lt order to reform the link.

My second turn I split a Myrmi from the Enomotarchos link to throw smoke (and minimise AROs against the rest of the link), to allow the Lamedh with the data approach my third marker (number 1) and activate that one too. Fearing more Akalis, I tried to hack the dropship, but found that there was no ship... I tried to Assist Trajectory on my EVO to bring in my Ekdromo out of sight of everything with the intent of hacking Toni before chain rifling the Regualrs, but he scattered on a natural 20, right into the path of the Sierra who smeared him over the scenery. Breaking my Thorakitai engineer from his link (as I liked the firelanes that Chandra and Nesaie were covering), I ran him up to the broken Zayin and repaired it successfully. The Zayin then maneuvered at optimum range to pop off 3 4more of the Acontec Regulars, before ending my turn.

Spence's second turn started with him running the surviving Regular back into safety, and getting sniped by Ajax at extreme range. Toni then peaked over the top of the building a downed the Zayin for a second time. He then spent the orders to elect a new Lt, and maneuvered his surving Akali to take out by backup Lamedh.

My final turn, I had the lone Myrmi run forward dropping smoke allowing the Lamedh to get in b2b with the final marker for me to activate (with no orders to spare for that combat group). Thamyris then activated the marker, and proceeded to Triangulate with no opposition. Game to Aleph.

After the game, I made my promotion roll to the first rank :)

Have yet to make my promotion roll,

Results so Far

Shaktar Combined vs Jason Aleph draw 1-1?

Rend Yu Jing vs Crinos FRRM - win Crinos 8-2

Domo vs Spence Domo win 8-1?

IJW vs Mightymuffin - To be played next week.

First post updated and tweaked with links :)

As REND mentioned, we were playing some house-rules for the 'area' jungles, so all the bases with movable trees counted as zero visibility smoke if a model was inside, but low visibility when models inside were touching the edge. So once a model was inside you could either charge them, use Suppression Fire or Intuitive Attack but that was about it. However, as zero-vis zones, any firing beyond jungle areas would reveal the shooter with the usual penalties.

Also, as very difficult terrain, TAGs/Remotes/Bikes/HI/MI couldn't enter at all!

Otherwise we've found that MSV2-3 is just too powerful on jungle tables.

I like your house rules; I think I might try a variation as I'm planning out some jungle terrain... I'm thnking that the jungle base could be considered low-viz terrain--and, if the mini is at the edge of the jungle base it doesn't suffer the attack penalty for firing ouside (since it's LOF is not obscured) but keeps the defensive bonus. Any mini in cover on a jungle base is considered to be in zero-viz terrain. This might help tone down the MSV advantage, since other miniatures could still fire across the jungle base with just the low-viz penalty... It doesn't negate the MSV, but other minis aren't suffering with zero-viz penalties everywhere they look...

I was thinking the jungle terrain would be considered difficult terrain (movement wise) and that TAGs wouldn't gain any defensive viz benefit in the jungle (too easy to see coming)...

I'm really enjoying following your club's bat-reps!

After a few weeks of one or other of us being away or there being no meeting that week, mightymuffin and I finally got our 102 mission played this Tuesday, meaning that all 101 and 102 match ups have been played.

Batrep to come. Let's just say that it involved way too much smoke...

Batrep to come. Let's just say that it involved way too much smoke...

And not from my Caledonian Highlander army... ;-)

Which was a shock to both of us! More Moarlocks than Galwegians and Cameronians put together...

OK, looks like it will copy-and-paste, although the formatting is slightly off. Also, the images link to the larger version in a new page instead of the nice overlays...

Anyway...

Nomad Nutters v. Caledonian Nutters: the Batrep

If you're not familiar with the Campaign: Paradiso missions, 102 basically involves trying to get a single model around four out of five objectives scattered across the table. In the right order. Needing to start off where the first model left off if the model gets taken out. In four turns! For more details, see my Tabletop Nation release event report.

First, the table:

wt_20121218_18-14-58.bigthumb.jpg

Quite a variety of terrain with hills, buildings, lone trees, four areas of jungle, a downed helicopter and lots of rocks. For the jungles we used some house rules I've been working on which make shooting progressively harder as you fire further.

Army Lists

Nomads:

Combat Group 1 Orders: 10

Interventor » Lieutenant (Hacking Device Plus) SWC:0.5 Cost:26

Clockmaker » Combi Rifle SWC:0.0 Cost:18

Intruder » HMG, Grenades SWC:1.5 Cost:44

Moderator » Combi Rifle SWC:0.0 Cost:9 (Spec Ops with Hacker upgrade, codename: Delia)

Moderator » Combi Rifle SWC:0.0 Cost:9

Reaktion Zond » HMG, AP Mines SWC:1.0 Cost:28

Moran » Combi Rifle, KrazyKoalas (2) SWC:0.5 Cost:21

Tsyklon » Spitfire, Marker SWC:1.0 Cost:37

Zondbot » SWC:0.0 Cost:3

Zondbot » SWC:0.0 Cost:3

Combat Group 2 Orders: 2

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade SWC:0.0 Cost:7 (Dogged)

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade SWC:0.0 Cost:7 (NWI)

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade SWC:0.0 Cost:7 (+1 ARM)

Morlock » Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenade SWC:0.0 Cost:7 (8--4 MOV)

Morlock » Combi Rifle, Smoke Light SGL SWC:1.0 Cost:16 (X-Visor)

Warcor » Flash Pulse SWC:0.0 Cost:3

Salyut Zond » (EVO Repeater) SWC:0.5 Cost:13

Salyut Zond » (Total Reaction) SWC:0.0 Cost:21

Total SWC: 6.0 Total Points: 300

Arguably the best set of Metachemistry rolls I've ever made! Getting X-Visor on the Light Smoke Launcher instead of one of the Chain Rifle models was even better.

Paul's list as best I can remember, it was split into two Combat Groups of ten models.

Combat Group 1 & 2

Caledonian Volunteer » Lieutenant SWC:0.0 Cost:8

Caledonian Volunteer » Rifle SWC:0.0 Cost:8

Caledonian Volunteer » Light ShotgunLight GL SWC:0.5 Cost:11

Caledonian Volunteer » Chain RifleLight Shotgun SWC:0.0 Cost:6

Caledonian Volunteer » HMG SWC:0.5 Cost:20

Caledonian Volunteer » Rifle SWC:0.0 Cost:8

Cameronian (Dog-Warrior form) » Chain RifleChain RifleSWC:0.0 Cost:22

Cameronian (Dog-Warrior form) » Chain RifleChain RifleSWC:0.0 Cost:22

Highlander » Chain RifleSmoke Grenade SWC:0.0 Cost:6

Caledonian Volunteer » Chain RifleLight Shotgun SWC:0.0 Cost:6

Traktor Mul » Minesweeper SWC:0.0 Cost:5

Traktor Mul » Minesweeper SWC:0.0 Cost:5

S.A.S. » Boarding SG SWC:0.0 Cost:27

S.A.S. » Chain RifleGrenade SWC:0.0 Cost:23

Valerya Gromoz » Hacker (Hacking Device) SWC:0.5 Cost:26

Kaplan Tactical Services (as merc. unit) » Engineer SWC:0.0 Cost:27

Kaplan Tactical Services (as merc. unit) » Engineer SWC:0.0 Cost:27

Total SWC: 2.5 Total Points: 300

We were both using several proxies, I was running the Chimera and Pupniks as extra Morlocks and a Lunokhod Remote as the Salyut reactionbot and some random models as Warcors while Paul was using some Viridian Marines as Kaplans, one of my Zeros as Valerya and a Dogface as the Warcor. He also had a Wulver, Highlander Grey HMG and Wallace standing in as the Volunteer HMGs plus one of my spare bots and a 40mm base standing in for the Traktor Muls.

Deployment & Plans

I won the initiative roll-off, choosing Deployment - so Paul deployed first on the side of my choice and then went first. My choice was mostly down to better fire arcs from my side of the table and wanting to have some idea what Paul's strategy would be.

My main plan was to have the Morlocks roll forwards each turn via coordinated orders to leave a smoke trail that the Tsyklon could walk around behind the smoke with the Interventor searching the objectives through it's Repeater. The reactionbots were then there to punish Paul in his own turn and keep enemy models away from the Tsyklon, Interventor LT and Clockmaker Engineer. The Intruder HMG was there for occasional ARO pot-shot but mostly for gunning down any models with LoF to the Tsyklon.

As backup, the Clockmaker had two Zondbot helpers to either fix the Tsyklon or act as searchers for the Clockmaker. Third and fourth backups came in the form of the Moran Maasai and the HMG reactionbot due to their Repeaters.

Paul had a full Volunteer Link on my left flank including three HMGs plus two 'spare' Volunteers and his to Kaplan Engineers. On the far left were the two baggagebots, Warcor, Valerya Gromoz (Merc Hacker) and a Chain Rifle Volunteer. In the middle were the two Cameronians on on the far right flank two Galwegians. Right in the middle of the table was a camo marker, until he failed the infiltration roll, uncombed and strolled around the corner of the hill to find himself facing the entire Nomad force…

I took the building in my DZ as the main defensive point with the Interventor and Clockmaker hidden behind it, some Moderators as a buffer zone, the baggage reactionbot tucked where it could only be seen from my right flank (i.e. the Galwegians but not the Volunteer Link) and finally on top the HMG reactionbot with a helperbot to fix it in emergencies.

The left flank was held by most of the Morlocks, the Tsyklon and a Warcor.

The right flank was held by the other Warcor, my Spec Ops Moderator Hacker and another Moderator, with the EVO Repeater baggagebot tucked away behind the jungle.

Centrally deployed and positioned with millimetre-accuracy was the camo marker representing my Intruder - largely hidden from the Volunteer hill but with LoF all the way past the right of that hill to the back of the table.

My right flank with reactionbots on the roof - the purple Lunokhod standing in for a baggage reactionbot (or Salyut) was slightly further back and tucked down behind the 'rim' on the roof but wouldn't stay there:

wt_20121218_19-09-19.bigthumb.jpg

My left flank with Warcor and Spec Ops behind the hill:

wt_20121218_19-09-44.bigthumb.jpg

The far left corner (Paul's right flank) showing support staff behind the building and a mass of troops behind the hill:

wt_20121218_19-09-36.bigthumb.jpg

The far right corner showing the Galwegians:

wt_20121218_19-09-29.bigthumb.jpg

The view from my board edge, note the big yellow turn die and also the exposed SAS on the edge of the hill right in the middle of the table:

wt_20121218_19-09-53.bigthumb.jpg Paul's reserve model was another SAS who came in towards my light left flank, making his infiltration over the halfway test to hide behind the pressure dome! I responded nastily with the Maasai and his two CrazyKoalas, mines on jumpy legs!

wt_20121218_19-21-27.bigthumb.jpg

Another view from the other side:

wt_20121218_19-30-49.bigthumb.jpg

As we'd both won our previous games we both started the game able to choose our activation sequence for the objectives. Reading through we worked out that the sequences are public but that they had to be chosen before deployment, so we privately nominated routes, then revealed the routes after deployment was finished. As it turned out, we both chose the same route - from our own sides of the table, the near right objective, near left, central and then far left.

Paul's Turn One

The Galwegians advance in the face of the HMG reactionbot, Combi Rifle reactionbot and Morlock Combi Rifle, one going Dogged to not fall over but then dying, followed by the other doing much the same. Unfortunately they were in different Combat Groups so couldn't coordinate.

The Cameronians coordinate with smoke but one takes a wound from the reactionbot so fails to get his smoke down.

wt_20121218_19-41-00.bigthumb.jpg

The Volunteer Link advances up behind the brow of the hill and takes down the reactionbot with a crit and a failed save, stopping it from being repaired.

wt_20121218_20-01-29.bigthumb.jpg

The CRAP SAS stage-centre retreats back around the shoulder of the hill, now that the reactionbot can't turn him into a smear of red paste.

One of the Kaplans searches the first objective (on the second attempt) and heads across Paul's DZ towards the second on the route. Unfortunately the second move of an order brings him round the side of the hill, supposedly safe behind the Cameronian's smoke - and right into the sights of the Intruder's HMG. I'd not planned to reveal the Intruder so early but this was too good to resist - ignoring the low-vis zone he was in the smoke cloud and the Kaplan's Mimetism he scored a hit, only to see the Kaplan save!

wt_20121219_19-55-14.bigthumb.jpg

This lead to many many orders being spent on the Volunteer Link moving up behind the brow of the hill in attempts to kill the Intruder. The first one results in the Link Leader taking a crit to the face. The Link reforms. The next three or so orders result in lots of misses on both sides before Paul starts running short of Orders and repositions the Link.

Eventually, lack of Orders prompts the Kaplan to try and Move-Dodge into a safer position rather than stay out in the open with an HMG pointing his way, but this time the Intruder strikes true.

wt_20121218_20-13-32.bigthumb.jpg

Paul's turn ends with him having taken more casualties than I had.

Ian's Turn One

Massed Morlocks pour forward laying down copious amounts of smoke. One of them goes down to AROs from the Volunteer HMGs. The LSGL Morlock is worth every point and SWC, helping to cover the left objective.

wt_20121218_20-50-14.bigthumb.jpg wt_20121218_20-50-19.bigthumb.jpg

The Intruder moves around a little, taking down the two remaining HMG Volunteers one at a time and breaking the Link in the process, then takes out the wounded Cameronian.

The Tsyklon takes advantage of the smoke clouds and scuttles up so that the Interventor can search the first objective, does the same with the second and then goes and hides behind a big rock near the Intruder.

Paul's Turn Two

The remaining Impetuous model, the Cameronian, cancels his Impetuous Order on the grounds that it would be directly into the path of the Intruder's HMG.

The SAS on my left flank advances on the Warcor, dodges a Koala, takes my Spec Ops Delia to Unconscious while charging the Warcor, shakes off a Stun Pistol hit and KOs the Warcor!

wt_20121218_21-10-05.bigthumb.jpg wt_20121218_21-23-54.bigthumb.jpg

Due to my repositioning on the Intruder, the second Kaplan now safely moves up to his fallen comrade and picks up the data, then carries on to the second objective, searches it and moves forwards into the jungle.

wt_20121218_21-01-36.bigthumb.jpg wt_20121218_21-09-58.bigthumb.jpg

The SAS then advances up and uses his Boarding Shotgun to shoot the nearby Moderator in the central woodland, taking out the Intruder with the twin blasts! Fortunately for me, the Tsyklon was half an inch beyond the blast. It's ARO shot misses due to the zero-vis zone plus camo plus cover modifiers.

wt_20121218_21-31-27.bigthumb.jpg

Ian's Turn Two

More Moarlock Smoke! Followed by some messy Chain Rifle stuff with the SAS.

wt_20121218_21-51-35.bigthumb.jpg

The Tsyklon gets the bleep away from the Boarding Shotgun SAS, heading for the central objective and plinking a wound off the Cameronian on the way.

The rest of the turn involves moving towards the final objective without getting within 10" of the Cameronian, shooting Volunteers on the way.

The Interventor auto-searches the final objective thanks to the cumulative baggage bonus.

The remaining Morlocks reposition to cover the central objective while the remaining reactionbot moves up to take the place of the dead HMG reactionbot.

Paul's Turn Three

The Cameronian leaps towards the closest Morlock, falls short by a few millimetres and dies to the Chain Rifle ARO which also hits the SAS.

wt_20121218_22-08-22.bigthumb.jpg

The Kaplan advances forwards and manages to down the reactionbot with a lucky crit from his Combi Rifle!

wt_20121218_22-21-54.bigthumb.jpg

However there are still too many Chain Rifles etc. to advance safely to the central objective so he retreats slightly and goes prone behind some rocks.

wt_20121218_22-22-02.bigthumb.jpg

A Volunteer with Chain Rifle takes down the Tsyklon but only on the second attempt. The left SAS kills the Maasai by shooting him in the back, by this point having taken out almost my entire left flank single-handedly.

wt_20121218_22-16-08.bigthumb.jpg

Ian's Turn Three

I'm perilously close to Retreat, something like five points keeping my forces from running. Paul's SAS rampage has really caused a lot of damage to my points and available Orders, the SAS took down four of the ten Regular models in the main Combat Group.

The remaining Morlocks advance, one of them charging the Kaplan via an Impetuous Order, Irregular Order and the sole Regular Order in that Combat Group (provided by the EVO Repeater baggagebot).

The CR/LSGL Morlock starts sniping Volunteers from long range, trying to get Paul into Retreat even with his two Baggagebots.

On to the main combat group. The helperbot next to the Salyut reactionbot valiantly leaps over the parapet, repairing the Salyut on the way, failing it's Climb roll but making it's ARM roll and landing on it's feet! As nobody in Paul's force can see the central area anymore it rushes across the table towards the downed Tsyklon but then reverses direction at the last minute to take cover due to lack of Orders. That darn SAS!

wt_20121219_19-55-08b.bigthumb.jpg

Paul's Last Turn

Whittling down the Volunteers had taken Paul into Retreat with an extra bonus that one of the Volunteers had been the Lieutenant.

His Kaplan tries to hit the Morlock before running but takes a Shock Ammo crit to the face. Splat.

The LGL Volunteer runs across the sights of the LSGL/Combi Rifle Morlock and takes her down with a grenade!

wt_20121218_22-39-34.bigthumb.jpg

Other models retreat towards the table edge.

Ian's Last Turn

Purely thanks to the baggage reactionbot being repaired I don't go into Retreat! Otherwise the loss of the LSGL Morlock would have taken me over the edge.

The Morlock that had killed the Kaplan sprinted off towards the remaining Ariadna forces, taking out the LGL Volunteer on the way, getting blinded by Paul's Warcor, shrugging off Stun Pistol hits and being missed by Light Shotgun shells to charge the Chain Rifle Volunteer next to the Tsyklon.

This freed up the helperbot to go round the corner and pick up the data.

wt_20121218_22-51-01.bigthumb.jpg

With the last Order of the last turn of the game, the Engineer performs the Triangulation objective, out-rolling Valerya's attempt to counter-hack!

The eventual result was 8-3 to me but it didn't feel that lopsided during the game...