kidterminal

Who Is Starting An Indepentant Infinity Forum?

122 posts in this topic

Hey guys is it time to start building up an infinity community on another site. One where we can talk Infinity freely without any commercial ties or interference. One where anything and everything Infinity is discussed.

Is anyone starting this? If so please let me know. I've spoken to some members and we are starting to organized this.

If we put some thought into it we can create the forum about Infinity terrain that this community so desperately needs.

there seems to be way to many trolls on dakka dakka one of the reasons why I have never posted there

What about DakkaDakka?

I want to interact in the same respectful, friendly way I interact with people here. That's not possible on DakkaDakka and Warseer. I wish it was.

There seems to be no other wargaming forum with an atmosphere/community similar to this one.

Also, it would have to be an Infinity-focused forum, as the loose and honest attitude of Infinity clashes strongly with the competitive, WAAC approach of many 40K and WHM players.

ed: Voting that this independent forum be named Arachne :D

It'd be nice to maybe have an independent Arcologies/off-topic sub-forum just to post threads about 3rd party products, then just link to it from the appropriate sub-forum(s) here (I wonder if that's allowed in the rules).

Otherwise, I'm fine with using this forum for the majority of Infinity-related topics.

I wonder how many people would use it. If there is a significant number of people, then this may be useful...otherwise, just take up blogging and post your stuff on your blog (and share the link for us :D)?

Frankly, I'd have to put most of my minis and terrain posts on the unofficial forum.

I don't own a single peice of MAS terrain, though I do have some of the Urban Bases (bought years ago). Many of my minis have been converted using non-CB parts. Some of my minis are not even CB product, and I don't mean just the civvies.

Yeah, but I'm thinking about non-terrain/mini posts...how much of the content would carry over to the other forum? :(

Yeah, but I'm thinking about non-terrain/mini posts...how much of the content would carry over to the other forum? :(

Most company sponsored forums don't allow the level of content that we've seen on this one. Once the new one becomes popular most of the other content will appear on the new one. Most people want a one-stop shop for Infinity. This forum used to be that. Now its time to make a new one-stop shop that new players can come to get any question answered, not to mention all important terrain ideas.

http://arachne.lefora.com/

would like a couple of folks to manage it for me, but here you go

Will this have enough space? Any forum of any size has to pay for space. Pictures take up a ton of space.

http://arachne.lefora.com/

would like a couple of folks to manage it for me, but here you go

Let's just don't rush things. Before a couple of new fan-made forums appear, there is much to think about. Take a paper and pencil, lay down some ideas. Name, sub-forums, categories, layout, anti-spam protection, background. New forum can be made with few clicks. New forum, that will last longer than two weeks needs some preparations before launching...

Let's just don't rush things. Before a couple of new fan-made forums appear, there is much to think about. Take a paper and pencil, lay down some ideas. Name, sub-forums, categories, layout, anti-spam protection, background. New forum can be made with few clicks. New forum, that will last longer than two weeks needs some preparations before launching...

I agree. Please PM me or post your ideas here so we can get properly organized. 5 members are officially on board and chatting with each other. If you PM me I can get you in the loop.

Will this have enough space? Any forum of any size has to pay for space. Pictures take up a ton of space.

Photobucket?

New forum, that will last longer than two weeks needs some preparations before launching...

This is going to take longer than two weeks? Most of the hubbub from the initial notification two weeks ago died down before today.

Yes it could take longer than two weeks. As it stands now several people in the Archologies forum and at least one in the conversion thread are not posting new pictures for fear of deletion. You are all ready missing out on cool stuff. We need a place where everything cool under the Infinity sun can be found.

I can set up and host a forum with effectively unlimited space for images (a few dozen GB and really big originals can get downsized) but I'm a lot less tolerant than CB when it comes to rudeness...

i'd prefer to push on here, re-frame and gently re-adjust, clarify the rules and keep the forum the way it has been.

for the record: free speach about infinity related stuff, even should it be in its dedicated sub-forum. shattering of the community WILL hurt, MAS is not worth this.

I like the idea. An unofficial forum where we are free to post trade threads and a place for small businesses to start up. As much as I like CB so far, I'm concerned about the way the forums are going.

Dakka and Warseer are out of the question for me. Far too tightly moderated and filled with negative trolls. No thanks, I prefer the Infinity folks!

And I second the call for "Arachne" as the name!

I just want to point out, that the terrain link thread with links to and pictures from nearly all terrain companys is still there, maybe we had been just overreacting- or had any other threads been erased?

I've not seen other missing threads but I've not been looking out for them. The one with Sarissa in the thread title was pretty clearly going to get removed.

where we are free to post trade threads

Good point. I'll have to drop my offer to host a forum, there's too many legal liabilities with trade threads. I'd have to pay a lawyer if I wanted a legally-binding disclaimer. :(

I've not seen other missing threads but I've not been looking out for them. The one with Sarissa in the thread title was pretty clearly going to get removed.

Good point. I'll have to drop my offer to host a forum, there's too many legal liabilities with trade threads. I'd have to pay a lawyer if I wanted a legally-binding disclaimer. :(

Really? Hm. Well, I have private space available. I have no idea if it is enough to host a forum in the long run, but it will certainly be enough to start out with. If longer term becomes viable, we could always introduce payed memberships for stuff like custom titles and whatnot. A few bucks per member will go a long way.

But a forum like the one we're using here might become expensive. It's $175 for the software (but I do know someone who can modify it to our heart's content, once it's been purchased). Monthly plans are far more expensive, but you do have to take the hosting into account: with enough members, that's going to require a monthly upkeep as well.

Kickstarter? ;)

i'd prefer to push on here, re-frame and gently re-adjust, clarify the rules and keep the forum the way it has been.

I second this call for pushing the limits.

Honestly, I'd also prefer to push the limits of the rules and try to erode those rules with some time and effort if possible. And when we show some caution (especially with the thread titles), I'm sure, most things won't change.

I still moarn every single pic from terrain or models not posted out of fear for deletion, but I really prefer to have everything concentrated here than trying to splitting the community. I already follow Infinity in two important forums (and a few others get a vissit at least once a week) and don't want to have to keep updated in another.

I'd really prefer to find a solution here on this board. Be it with some cautious previews in new threads and the thread linking to personal blogs or just pushing the boundaries of the rules step by step.

Moderation doesn't happen often and I'm sure, most of us spend more time on this forum than anybody of CB's staff, so changes still are good, that no serious harm is done to the arcologies section.

EDIT:

Kickstarter? ;)

Aaaaaargh... Beware the thread deletion... :P

Edited by Harlekin