Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shinin-light

The Importance Of The Base

11 posts in this topic

What is the importance of base size in the miniature sight?
I used to play using miniature bases to show the real sight possibility for both see other minis and be seen.
Obviously if a model see another, the second one can see the former.
Now i have a doubt about how to consider meteor zond base. I've bought the miniature this week and the transparent support seems to be builded exclusively for the "hovercraft" rappresentation.
If the meteor Zond is behind a bridge who covers him but doesn't cover the transparent base, can he see behind the bridge?

I am not sure about the rest of the base, but if someone see the center of base then they both get LoF. To quote the wiki :

- What happens in the extreme case were a line can be traced without obstruction from a models base center to a models base center, but there is no visible part of the model to be seen?

In that extreme scenario LOF is granted.

edit: the reason it says center to center is because the normal rule is center to any body part although we play it head or shoulder to any body part.

What I find interesting is that the model is a 40mm base, but they also provide a 25mm hex. I guess he would still need the 40mm Wide Gate and not the 25mm Narrow Gate for Paradiso markers ?

The 25mm hex is intended to be glued to the 40mm base, since only GW 40mm bases have the reinforcement around the spots for pegs like the flight base.

Personally, I'm getting a GW 40mm base for my Meteor.

GW sure as hell DO sell 40mm bases.

They've sold round 40mm bases for years.  They are about 1.2mm taller or so than the bases CB uses.

Terminator Base = 40mm

Generally you have to buy the GW mixed bag of bases to get them, find 40k player with extra, or the bits shops also often have bases for sale that they part out.

If I'm playing with a slightly-higher base, and my opponent insists that he can draw LoF to my model by a hair, I will promptly replace that model with an average-height trooper on an average-height base (the same way we do with any "unusual pose" or whatever) and ask him to redraw LoF.

I don't have minis on unusually-high bases, but I refuse to penalize players for their hobby creativity anyway.  If there's an issue due to base height, just substitute for a regular-height model.

I don't have minis on unusually-high bases, but I refuse to penalize players for their hobby creativity anyway.  If there's an issue due to base height, just substitute for a regular-height model.

My spitfire Prowler gets a lot of overtime in this role. 

My spitfire Prowler gets a lot of overtime in this role.

He's the ipsum lorem of infinity stand-ins. :D

Terminator Base = 40mm

Generally you have to buy the GW mixed bag of bases to get them, find 40k player with extra, or the bits shops also often have bases for sale that they part out.

Or you could just do this: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470008a&prodId=prod1590011

But yeah, if you can get them for free more power to you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0