Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BangBangYourDead

The Next Sectorial

88 posts in this topic

Either Al Medinat/Caliphate or Khan.  Khan is said to be in playtesting.

Al Medinat will include lots of genetically engineered super dudes who put Ajax to shame, including and Khawarij.

Khan will include Kum riders (redesigned/resculpted) and potentially a bike with superjump.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand when something get's hyped up by trashing previous models/characters.  Putting Ajax to shame?  Puts my teeth on edge.  It makes me worry about power creep and bad storytelling.  Think Matt Ward.

Not saying the game designers are going to screw up.  But the PR for it just sits wrong with me.  Maybe I'm crazy.

Think of it as colorful language used to better describe the faction.

Ajax isn't human - just a modified lhost.  If Haqq bioscience truly is superior, it should not be difficult for them to create a soldier harder, better, faster, and stronger than him.

The quote on the Caliphate and Ajax came from an informal Q&A with CB on BoW - not through official fluff or anything.

I wouldn't worry in the least. :)

EDIT: And I believe the actual quote was they "will make Ajax look like a retarded gorilla".  But I don't care for that adjective, so I paraphrased.

Ajax is what he is, a beast.

He's oart uncontrollable.

Probably the Haqq bio-soldier will be more disciplined and more expensive, thus the gorilla statement.

So they're basically saying the new Haqq faction models will possess more finesse than Ajax.  Which...yeah that's not as impressive a statement since Ajax doesn't lend himself much to subtlety.  2 Wounds, NWI, Berserk, EXP CCW, ARM 5 does not lend itself to finesse.

Agreed on the asinine adjective, Cervantes.

So they're basically saying the new Haqq faction models will possess more finesse than Ajax.  Which...yeah that's not as impressive a statement since Ajax doesn't lend himself much to subtlety.  2 Wounds, NWI, Berserk, EXP CCW, ARM 5 does not lend itself to finesse.

Agreed on the asinine adjective, Cervantes.

Glad I could put you at ease. :D

/and yeah, my mom is a PT that worked with SXI/POHI populations, my wife is an MT-BC in a pediatric psych hospital, and my cousin has CP and is on the spectrum.  I'm all about the person-first language. XD

//Funny story: when my wife interned at a Shriner's hospital, the Shriners would come in and spend time with the patients.  Many of them would refer to them as "burned kids" or "burned babies" which infuriated her and made her think "THEY'RE NOT COOKIES, DAMN IT!"... but these guys donate lots of money, so you just grin and bear it.

Ajax is what he is, a beast.

He's oart uncontrollable.

Probably the Haqq bio-soldier will be more disciplined and more expensive, thus the gorilla statement.

Exactly.  Ajax is a gorilla, who goes out and breaks things and people.  The current enhanced Haqq soldiers are good, but there will need to be some pretty intense upgrades to approach the Precursor body.  Besides, it goes to the question, better to enhance what is already there or create something entirely new?

Do you seriously think this guy wouldn't be better than Ajax?! XD XD XD XD XD XD

lee-majors-as-steve-austin-the-six-milli

Think Matt Ward.

No thanks. :P

Seriously, every 40k fan would probably be better off if they stopped worrying about Matt Ward, and concerned themselves more with the whole of GW. They've basically perpetuated a boogyman figurehead, a big nerd-rage magnet, to distract from the fact that the company is in fact responsible for both the creative content, and the business decisions it makes.

The new Haqq unit could be as simple as a profile similar to Ajax, but with WIP 14. Not much power creep there, and it still makes him look like a "retarded gorilla" in comparison (I think that was the quote from the BoW video awhile back). CB's good about keeping power creep to a minimum. I don't think there was a single unit in Paradiso that I felt I absolutely needed because of its stats. Wanted, because they looked cool or did something different, sure. But not needed to remain competitive.

@Todd

There are reasons I switched to Infinity, and power creep is one of them.  Bad storytelling is another.  Yes ultimately GW is responsible for the creative content. We use examples like Matt Ward or Kevin Siembieda(RIFTS) because, lo and behold, they are the writers who create the most egregious of offenses.  They become the personification of what is wrong with those game systems.  Boogymen are fictitious.  These guys have actually done the things they are accused of.

I do suspect the new Haqq unit will be vastly different from Ajax, and not just a WIP 14 version of him.  Preserving the individual flavors of factions seems to be something CB is pretty darn good at.

It's important to keep in mind that CB's desire to (obsessively) control the their quality of the models also extends to controlling the quality of their game AND, most importantly, they created Infinity as a game they would want to play.

Also, they listen to us... so there's that. :D

They more than listen to us. They make miniatures of the most faithful of us. :o

@Todd

There are reasons I switched to Infinity, and power creep is one of them.  Bad storytelling is another.  Yes ultimately GW is responsible for the creative content. We use examples like Matt Ward or Kevin Siembieda(RIFTS) because, lo and behold, they are the writers who create the most egregious of offenses.  They become the personification of what is wrong with those game systems.  Boogymen are fictitious.  These guys have actually done the things they are accused of.

I do suspect the new Haqq unit will be vastly different from Ajax, and not just a WIP 14 version of him.  Preserving the individual flavors of factions seems to be something CB is pretty darn good at.

Siembieda is nothing like Ward, Siembieda is the company so you can feel free to blame every problem with Rifts on him. Ego and Micromanagement are bad combo.

Most recent discussion of Al-Medinat Caliphate: http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15595-khan-sectorial-what-would-you-like-to-see/

Current info suggests early playtesting, including linkable Khawarijs with Tarik Mansuri, along with new weapon options for Khawarijs, and the logo is already on the Maghariba Guard box. New units including Namair and Muktar (already mentioned). This will be Haqq's high tech / super soldier / expensive sectorial, where the bio-medical knowledge of Haqqislam will come to shine via super-soldiers. Can't wait.

Most recent discussion of Gabqar Khanate: http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15595-khan-sectorial-what-would-you-like-to-see/

Current info suggests this will be the rough around the edges part of Haqqislam, which some people find attractive. Cervantes has noted that ideas being thrown around include linked Halqas, super-jump Kum, and a lieutenant that makes irregular into regular.

I was thinking Al-Medinat was the next sectorial, but I may have just assumed that because they currently have more profiles and models than the as-far-as-I-know unnamed Khannate sectorial. I also assumed that the orangish-reddish logo on the Maghariba pilot model was for Al-Medinat, but leaving the TAG for the Khannate does fit with the Khannate's mobility theme.

280463-0428-azul.jpg

And I was explicitly told that Khanate were in testing.  They did not say the same about Caliphate.  Granted, I did not ask about them and this could meant they're done playtesting them.  Mostly it was "tell us about Haqq" "Ok, well... Khan [blah blah blah]"

Well, I'm rather sure the Maghariba will be in Caliphate. 

I did envisioned a "scout Maghariba" for the Khanate a while ago, making it a lightweight refit of an older Mag variant. But that was just speculation.

And I was explicitly told that Khanate were in testing.  They did not say the same about Caliphate.  Granted, I did not ask about them and this could meant they're done playtesting them.  Mostly it was "tell us about Haqq" "Ok, well... Khan [blah blah blah]"

I was explicitly told that Matt Damon was at GenCon this year. One can't always trust the word of a Spaniard.

...and a lieutenant that makes irregular into regular.

You can't see them, but my right eyebrow rose a whole centimeter. 

Maaaaaaaatt Daaaaamooooon!

Yeah the Mag is definitely Caliphate. Also, while there is playtesting of the things Cervantes talked about, there was that CB discussion not too long ago about the Numair, Muktar, and linked Khawarijs, plus they have been showing that logo for the last several conventions they've attended where I haven't spotted one for the Khanate. This leads me to believe the Caliphate will be next. Plus, I really want that one more, which hasn't colored that belief at all.

You can't see them, but my right eyebrow rose a whole centimeter. 

Yeah, Bostria said that (the special lieutenant; he didn't say anything about your eyebrows) specifically. Right now the Khannate has so many irregular units it can get order starved without the special lieutenant.

Also the Kums are getting a resculpt and the super jump bikes will be a different unit than the Kum. They may be some sort of jetbike.

Yeah the Mag is definitely Caliphate. Also, while there is playtesting of the things Cervantes talked about, there was that CB discussion not too long ago about the Numair, Muktar, and linked Khawarijs, plus they have been showing that logo for the last several conventions they've attended where I haven't spotted one for the Khanate. This leads me to believe the Caliphate will be next. Plus, I really want that one more, which hasn't colored that belief at all.

Personally i'd prefer the Khanate, but i think the caliphate is more likely, for the reasons you mention.

I won't hold it against you...for now.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0