Yasbir

Paradise Ruins:modular And Portable Table

52 posts in this topic

I'm going to be making this now for my local group, cheers for the ridiculously good idea!

When you say DM board, would you be able to provide a place to purchase it, a link maybe?

Also a cost breakdown would be heavily appreciated.

Great! Idea and implementation both are great.

I always appreciate new ways of making terrain transportable and easily stored, you have done a great job of both!

When you say DM board, would you be able to provide a place to purchase it, a link maybe?

MDF, Medium Density Fiberboard, avaliable in most places that sell wood products. Other thin boards should work too. The polystyrene used is the insulation kind, the foam in diverse colors (blue, pink, etc), not the "balls of foam" in white. :confident:

Oooh, very well done.  I like this a lot and very versatile too.  Do you have any detailed plans of the dimensions and positions of the walls for each tile?  I'd like to make something like this and would like to know in more detail how you did it and which tiles fit with which.  It reminds me of a better version of the 'Incursion' board.  

Thanks for posting!

"Design as you build" a pair is easy, place over a plank twice as many walls as you think are OK, with some spacers. Mark half of the walls. Glue the unmarked to the plank. Using poster tack or painter tape hold the marked walls to the same plank (enough so they don't dance around). Apply glue to top, then put another plank above them, making sure the planks are aligned. Let the glue dry. Mark the pair of planks in same side or corner. Separate and proceed with texturing, painting, etc.

Cheers for the info. It did look like mdf, but I've not heard MDF referred to as DM board before. I figured the polystyrene would be insulation foam, that pink stuff works for a lot of terrain.

So clever!

From the design to the transportation system, it is just amazing! Simple but perfectly realized.

VERY impressive!

I wonder if there are ways to get a little more height onto the table. Maybe some pieces of board to cross between scalable walls?

Spot on! Very nice concept and execution, congrats!!

First I thought: Pretty cool! Than: whats the walls supposed to be? And then, ah ruins, nice! (I didn't pay much attention to the title)

Any other themes a table like this could represent?

I guess spaceship, research station might be possible, its a lot more detail work though, and you don't necessarily end up with rooms too.

Thank you Yasbir for the translation, and thak you all for your comments!

The MDF (DM for shorter) was for free, as my uncle is a carpenter, but those 10 pieces wouldn't cost more than 20€. Plus 10€ of polystirene, 10€ for the glue (that's really expensive, though), and count about 50€ for paints, grass, complements, etc. Between 90€ and 100€ for the rough materials. And many, many, many hours of work ... (as well as hours of planification, of course).

VERY impressive!

I wonder if there are ways to get a little more height onto the table. Maybe some pieces of board to cross between scalable walls?

It's high enough to hide an Avatar :P  And the idea was not to give any advantage in any piece of terrain in that way.

First I thought: Pretty cool! Than: whats the walls supposed to be? And then, ah ruins, nice! (I didn't pay much attention to the title)

Any other themes a table like this could represent?

I guess spaceship, research station might be possible, its a lot more detail work though, and you don't necessarily end up with rooms too.

Next table is a space ship: same idea, different execution, different finishes, and new rules for it! Hopefully in less than 6 month we'll be done with that new table :P

Okay, this is too brilliant to pass up not having one. I'd really like to make a close copy if I could. I have a couple of questions:

Does the sketch reflect the final design other than the additional "three squares" board? Two of each pattern?

I'm guessing the walls are 4 in. (~10cm) tall? 

Okay, this is too brilliant to pass up not having one. I'd really like to make a close copy if I could. I have a couple of questions:

Does the sketch reflect the final design other than the additional "three squares" board? Two of each pattern?

I'm guessing the walls are 4 in. (~10cm) tall? 

QFT!

I'm going to make one of these for my own use!  Maybe if I snag a few of those Heavy Gear stoneheads I can give it a real Ankor Wat feel.

Here's what I had as of last night (using 3" high walls to save on mats)

100_2716_zpsceb78fec.jpg100_2717_zps29bda3c7.jpg

It's a fairly easy design. I have board #1 textured and ready to glue to the hardboard. If I felt like doing the extra work, I would love to have made it more of a spaceship/sci-fi themed wall, but stone is just too easy.