Nicho

Gaming Mat

141 posts in this topic

Played on my new Icestorm MAS mat tonight at my FLGS, looked awesome and got a lot of compliments from everyone there. Really impressed with the quality.

I received my mats today!!!!! Woohoo! They look fantastic. Didn't know they connected together to form a 4x8!

Very nice

post-5473-0-43210700-1421198890_thumb.jp

post-5473-0-72285000-1421198903_thumb.jp

Glad you like them!
Kinda dumb of us not to mention that they indeed link together though ;)

Here is a couple pics of my warehouse one. They are sweet! Really easy to make stunning tables

post-5473-0-07080300-1421638246_thumb.jp

post-5473-0-62267200-1421638262_thumb.jp

post-5473-0-86899400-1421638277_thumb.jp

post-5473-0-59428800-1421638294_thumb.jp

I have to get me one of those mate this year. really nice looking table too mate :)

I just saw the mat in our local store and got to chime in that it is very nice indeed. Very nicely grittily industrial.

Got to play on one yesterday (District-5), and also saw the Warehouse version in real life. I was extremely impressed with the quality, and would highly recommend them.  :thumb-up:

I actually got to set up my personal MAS building collection on one brought to the tournament by another player. At first, I was worried about it being too open, but after adding some scatter and LoF blocking vehicles, it felt pretty good (confirmed when I later got to play on it). I did notice that the configurations that I had built my terrain in weren't really optimized for the mat. It definitely favors certain District-5 buildings and multiple stories, if you want to fill the building slots printed on it.

I do have two issues with the District 5 mat.

First, there doesn't seem to have been any consideration for the MAS walkways and stairs in the design. I typically use these to link and access the second stories (rather than the silly internal hatches between floors). Honestly, if MAS would simply release internal stairs, it wouldn't be a problem. The walkways though, they just won't work. All of the pre-determined distances are spaced wrong, and the walkways themselves have support structures that won't allow you to cross the roads without blocking vehicle access (playable, but it just looks wrong).

Second, there is little consideration for objective based missions in the layout. Obviously, anything using an Objective Room means you have to ignore the printed layout. I played Nimbus Zone which requires quite a few objective points, and their placement seemed a bit awkward. Some of the locations even had to be fudged a bit, which isn't a huge deal. However, if it could be coordinated with CB, I'd love to see an ITS designed mat that takes these types of things into account.

The mat did have one particular strength, in that the layout dictated a fair but asymmetrical terrain set up.

Unfortunately I ordered mine from waylands games. After the second e-mail telling me they haven't received it from their supplier, I look forward to reviewing it 175 years into the future...

Same problem with Wayland, they list most of Infinity stuff as in stock and yet when I ordered stuff from them three weeks ago I just get same generic email every Friday saying that they didn't receive stuff from the supplier. So it's not just gaming mat, issue seems to be for Infinity products in general.

I do hope someday to get me one of those gaming mats, they look nice and we don't play ITS missions so they will fit me well.

Fist Full of Dice in Portsmouth have 2 last time i was there. Give them a ring and see if they will ship.

@laughingod, my friends own a LGS but at the time of ordering I didn't know they could order the micro art stuff.

On their order form, the mats are minimum order 4. I imagine Waylands would be disingenuous enough to wait for 3 more people to order the mat before they bothered to fulfil my order.

Same problem with Wayland, they list most of Infinity stuff as in stock and yet when I ordered stuff from them three weeks ago I just get same generic email every Friday saying that they didn't receive stuff from the supplier. So it's not just gaming mat, issue seems to be for Infinity products in general.

I do hope someday to get me one of those gaming mats, they look nice and we don't play ITS missions so they will fit me well.

OT: The problem is that "in stock" with Wayland means "in stock in the supplier's warehouse". Wayland doesn't seem to physically stock very much of anything, just pass on some percentage of wholesaler discount in return for some almost obscene wait times. I have since leanred my lesson and now apply my money where it works best (even if it is a little more expensive): the supplier.

I do have two issues with the District 5 mat.

[...]

The priority was the asymmetrical layout and compatibility with standard District building size. I fully agree, it could be done better and the fact that the walkways weren't considered is a major bummer.

Also, we got carried away by how cool the mat came out ;)

When the project started the objective room(or the rules for it) didn't exist yet and later it was judged to be too much work to modify it.

Still, i assure you that we will take the Objective room into consideration with future designs(and the new 2015 tournament pack rules).

Unfortunately I ordered mine from waylands games. After the second e-mail telling me they haven't received it from their supplier, I look forward to reviewing it 175 years into the future...

Ugh, i know... The problem is that while most of our retailers order batches of like 50 mats, Wayland want only the exact amount their customers ordered. And then we're out of stock, waiting for the next shipload :(

Try these guys: http://www.thetrolltrader.com

I can't find our mats on their shop, but i'm sure that they have them in stock. Alternatively you can get them at their Ebay store:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=thetrolltrader&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmat&_nkw=mat&_sacat=0

Thank you both. I only ordered from Waylands because I thought I could cut down on shipping by ordering the warehouse mat, three more sets of Moto-tronica and some 55mm bases all from the same place, and it was kinda late and I was too lazy yo look around, so my own fault I guess.

@MAS_ichipoxi are there plans for more mats in different environments? I can't speak for everyone but I'd buy more. I think they're just at the right price point and it's easier to change a mat with the same terrain than an entire board, and you can transform Neoterra city to Dawn outpost etc etc

You could also buy directly from MAS! ...depending on where in the world you are shipping might eat you though.

It does, Poland to UK isn't really viable when there's places in the UK that sell it. It's my own fault for thinking Waylands wouldn't screw me with awful customer service

I went Poland to US to get bases from them. It was mostly because I couldn't find anyone that stocked them in the amount I needed.

I went Poland to US to get bases from them. It was mostly because I couldn't find anyone that stocked them in the amount I needed.

I've put off buying certain MAS products for the same reason. Makes you wonder how many sales retailers are missing out on by not stocking more, and whether they understand it's even happening.

"Why, of course someone will want a single 5-pack of bases, why could they possibly need more?"

And then there are the ones who continuously replenish their depleted stock with one or two more at a time. Come on people, you need to buy a few packs of bases at a time just to help make sure you get a variety of sculpts.

I even went on Ebay to see if I could scrounge up enough copies...couldn't even there. So went right to MAS, and while shipping was a little expensive it wasn't prohibitive, due to volume.

So today I got my third email saying 'we still have got your stuff from the suppliers.'

Taken a bit of a gambit. Ordered the mat from the troll trader, hopefully can get the Mototronica sets from my LGS tomorrow.

'Raised a ticket' with Wayland. Told them I want to cancel my order and I want a full and immediate refund. Get ye gone, foul customer service

@MAS_ichipoxi are there plans for more mats in different environments? I can't speak for everyone but I'd buy more. I think they're just at the right price point and it's easier to change a mat with the same terrain than an entire board, and you can transform Neoterra city to Dawn outpost etc etc

Yes, we certainly do. Unfortunately introducing a new product, especially so expensive and not manufactured at our Studio takes a lot of time and a rather large sum of money to get the first batch rolling. Because of this we're split between different gaming systems and might have to release some of the designs suitable for Infinity atmosphere in the 6x4 format first, instead of the classic 4x4...

"Why, of course someone will want a single 5-pack of bases, why could they possibly need more?"

And then there are the ones who continuously replenish their depleted stock with one or two more at a time. Come on people, you need to buy a few packs of bases at a time just to help make sure you get a variety of sculpts.

Yeah... Our guys responsible for retailer contact try to suggest stuff like that, but unless the retailers themselves are gamers it doesn't really work.

Taken a bit of a gambit. Ordered the mat from the troll trader, hopefully can get the Mototronica sets from my LGS tomorrow.

'Raised a ticket' with Wayland. Told them I want to cancel my order and I want a full and immediate refund. Get ye gone, foul customer service

Good luck, i hope the matt will reach you in a acceptable ammount of time :)

might have to release some of the designs suitable for Infinity atmosphere in the 6x4 format first, instead of the classic 4x4...

Might I suggest also cutting them up and selling as Malifaux (badlands/steampunk city) / X-Wing (space) mats? One 6x4 is two 3x3 mats and a designated space for cards/tokens/whatever (to use the remaining 1' strip).

BTW, what size does your Wolsung game use?

Well Waylands gave me a full refund without even a 'sorry'. What a nightmare .

Troll trader has my money for the mat and my LGS can get me the Moto.tronica sets I need.

@MAS_ichipoxi great news on the mats, 6x4 shouldn't really cause any problems, it can always be cut down it taped off for the gaming area depending on what size surface you'd normally put the mat on

Trolltrader have provided excellent service and communications with stuff I have bought in the past so with a bit of luck your problems will be solved.