AWOL

Awol Paints 2 - Paint Harder

205 posts in this topic

Love the nmm on the gun. Suptile, yet effective!

Looking forward to more!

You`re welcome!

Btw, Duroc`s machete and para`s HMG are awesome. Really like the way you painted these metal parts.

Thanks you two! Much appreciated. :-)

Sadly, the machete is broken off. I had written up a nice little list with the two of them, but despite the fiddly pinning I did, the blade broke off and so did his hand. At least I'm getting my bad luck out of the system before I actually play tonight...

Totally agree about nmm. Looks very effective, I like it! Hope you can fix Duroc's hand. Also, good white on custodier!
As for Massacre, well, his red really lack of contrast. You can try to mix some skin tone for highlights insted of white, and stronger shading definetly would help, as I think. 

JetMidget: Thanks! I THINK I got Duroc fixed (Erhm... You know what I mean), still to put him back together tho. Using skin tones to give the good Señor M some more flashy highlights is a neat idea, that goes straight on the to-do list.

And I fail the update schedule already. Off to a great start, eh?

Anyhow, it's not that I've been idle, I've been having photo-related problems. For the last two weeks I've been trying most anything to get decent pics, but the best I got was a vaguely zouave-shaped silhouette, and that wouldn't do. I figured that the problem was that I've been using my phone to take pictures, but I didn't have an alternative. That is, until I managed to dig out my ancient olympus from one of the random piles of junk I've amassed over the years. Despite being bought in january of '05, it still works - first time it's been turned on in about 6 years, and it wakes up with a nearly full battery too.

Anyhow, expect the picture quality to go a bit back and forth while I attempt to get to know the camera. At least you can see something now. :)

First off, Zouave:

Zouave_zps7ed36276.jpg

Some of the midtones have been swallowed by the camera and the varnish took off the brightest highlights, but I'll have to say I'm decently pleased with him, excepting the face. Going to have to try that cork brown base Giraldez uses, maybe that's a better way.

Since Zoe isn't my favorite model in the ItG range, I've gotten a third party model for her that it would be impolite to show here, but I can show my version of Pi-Well:

P91928322_zpsebd29b16.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but it should give you an idea of how he looks. Any resemblance to a PanO remote chassis that's gone missing from a shipment and repurposed is, of course, entirely accidental. (For a given value of "accidental". )

Last time I ran a plog here, the last post was a Tsyklon converted to be a flier. I've finally been able to get what I think is a decent base built for it. The top hides a magnet, and the pins give some stability.

P9192837_zps167381f6.jpg

And with the Tsyklon: (Ignore the chipping. I just recently got a decent varnish, and for some reason the paint chips off this thing if you as much as look at it. Due for a touch-up some time.)

P9192841_zps7b27db3a.jpg

As always, comments, criticism, limericks and the like are much appreciated. Next update: Most likely an intruder, possibly a lot of base-work. Thanks for reading!

The flyer-drone is awesome! Reds and greys are my favourites here.

A bit of critisism though:

I`d like to see its guns more sharply highlighted,  by now they seem a bit unfinished.

Blue recesses would look better once you highlighted them.

Other works are also well done, but the drone is really my fav. 

As far as criticism goes chief, I'll be brutally honest - I think you are being your toughest critic, Senor Massacre looks, in my opinion, really darn good! Reason I say that is because, again, in my humble opinion, blocking colors and keeping them "neat" is the toughest part of the paint job and you have done a really good job doing so. 

Shoot - as painting motivation goes, there is nothing wrong with throwing a few minis on the "backlog" per se, (your Moira) as having motivation to paint a specific model, a specific effect or using a new technique you recently read about will always yield better results. For example, as I paint, I have quite a few models I am concurrently working on - so if at any point I grow bored of painting a mini in particular; I look at my other minis sitting on my desk and pick up whichever tickles my fancy.

All in all, I think you are doing a fantastic job on your painting chief, so keep the pictures coming. I really enjoy seeing people's desire to improve, inevitably, with that mindset, you will.

here is a pic so you can see what I mean by "quite a few" models being painted concurrently.

72fa4aa3-62a1-4e53-ba22-9e5297db6da6_zps

I was going to reply yesterday, but the forum was unstable when I had the time.

Alphast and Zorlak, thanks guys!

Fliger, cheers mate. Not to worry about the zond, it's not even close to being finished. I stalled on it when the paint started coming off. If the Testors varnish I've just gotten hold of works, it's getting finished soonish, followed by its as yet uassembled brother-bot.

Soccergopher, thanks. Even if it sometimes sound like it, I'm not that displeased with most of the paintjobs, when I point out stuff it's usually part of my review process so I can improve stuff later on. I've got a bad habit of forgetting my exact thoughts when I, for instance, go back later to expand a unit, and it helps bundles to externalise them.

As for the number of concurrent projects, I think I might actually have you beat. ;)

One good thing about being delayed in answering: Got a wip done instead.

SinEaterWiP_zpsba7a90ca.jpg

Obviously got a ways to go yet, but I'm decently pleased with him. He also sports one of the new bases I've been working on for the nomads - it started out as a way to prepare for Op:IceStorm, but I think I'm redoing a fair few bases now.

Already slapped three wildcats on them, so I'll need to do more. Plan is to have every nomad based on something with holes in it, a bit like the studio bases, excepting perhaps the zond above since I can't be bothered to redo that one with the magnet and all.

The other ones with the diamond grid are destined for the PanO models in the box.

P9212834_zps3a7a3ccc.jpg

Thanks for reading!

The white on that mini is looking phenomenal chief, not to mention that the color choice is awesome as well.

Looking good so far AWOL. Only criticism has already been mentioned, just highlight the guns a teeny bit more. I struggle with them as well to be honest! Also loving the new bases, they'll look great for the Op Icestorm figures :D

Maybe put a little more tarnish on the base. It's looking great but it will make a nice contrast to that clean white on the coat. OSL looks damn fine!

looks beter with arms then without ones :)

base to steryle - do something with it  :D

Yeah dull coat or whatever your using can over flatten a model out which is great if you've over exaggerated the light, but terrible if you haven't! Loving the OSL on this bloke, it's nice and subtle :)

I'm really sorry for the extended silence in here guys, I've had an busy couple of weeks with thesis problems, a death in the family and the GF heading of to China for 2 months.

Worst bit should be over now tho, so I'm starting to paint a bit again.

Smoke and Maru, I've added more rust to the base, and there's far more on it than appears - the picture doesn't really show it. I wanted to post a picture, but it turned out like the last one despite the work. Maybe next time. Thanks for the comments . :)

Asigaru, cheers man.

I've gotten my operation icestorm box a few days ago, and I've started working on a crusader I got to test colour scheme and painting technique for the blue. He's not done yet, and the picture could be better, but here he is:

CrusaderWiP_zps3f47b021.jpg

As always, comments and thoughts are much appreciated.

Nice work. The blue is really good and shows a lot of depth of colour. For the white it seems your paint may be a bit thick. Try watering it down more and using more layers. Whenever I paint white I only use actual white as the final highlight and work form either a light grey or light blue so as to give it a sense of shade.

The thing about painting is the only way to get better is to do more and you will always learn something new. I have been painting for thirty years and I am still discovering new techniques. Keep at it and I look forward to seeing more of you work.

Cheers Chillwind. I agree with the white, the helmet turned out quite poorly, but I suspect the area might have been poorly prepared or something else happened. I'll see about getting a pic of his back side tomorrow, since the white on the "wings" have turned out ok, even if it's a bit flat to look at. I might have to try starting with a darker base than 70906 Pale Blue.

You're completely right about practicing, I've been at this for about 8 years now and there's still plenty to learn / unlearn. :)

I think the act of photographing a mini changes the little buggers. The number of mold lines that appear as soon as the click on the camera sounds...

The base effects you have going on are easily muted by the act of taking a picture, the mini looks great. Keep up the good work!

I have to say I like the grey and blue a little bit better than the white and blue.

Your colors look really good. The bases are nice too, what did you use for part with all the holes?