ToadChild

Toadchild's New Painting/modeling Thread

43 posts in this topic

That's got a sweet Tron vibe to it. And I mean that it in the best possible way. The OSL effect is almost painful to behold!(Much like Tron Legacy!)

Thanks!

I never watched the new Tron, but I always liked the old one.

The non-EI troops are much less glowy, but everyone has the hex bases.

I had forgotten how damn awesome your TRON effects looked, and now you went and made even more striking. I really, really gotta get the hang of that, i wonder if that's even possible without an airbrush...

Everything on that model is done with just black paint, white paint, P3 blue ink, and matte medium, even the parts I airbrushed.

You can do the glow effects by hand, you just have to have the patience to layer the ink/matte mixture.  The main advantages of the airbrush are that it's less messy and faster.  The phone photo also oversaturated things a bit, which makes it look even glowier.

He looks great, but kinda gets lost in the base.

nice model. however i agree with icchan. shiny bases make our eyes to sly to bases.

bases are very nice . how did you make them ?

He looks great, but kinda gets lost in the base.

nice model. however i agree with icchan. shiny bases make our eyes to sly to bases.

bases are very nice . how did you make them ?

Yeah, with the entire model being only blue and black, it does fade into the base.  It was a little less overpowering with the smaller base size.  It does nicely tie the non-EI models into the color scheme to have matching bases, however.

I make the bases using putty (either green stuff or milliput) and a small box I have that has a hex pattern on the bottom.  The raised hexes (as are present on the Charontid's base) are made using laser cut 12mm hexagons of varying thicknesses from Litko.

Maybe you could experiment with "less glowy" bases? Just remove the sharpest, white highlight on them and I think it would be good. Or just give it a couple of layers of slightly darker blue glaze to tone it down a bit, providing contrast for the model but retaining the theme.

I'm setting a goal to paint at least one mini per month this year, and I'll keep this thread up to date with my progress.  I'll also post some group shots of my previously painted models.

oo so 12  modes ahead :P

hum  old Harontid do not look so bad in this theme  ..

Maybe you could experiment with "less glowy" bases? Just remove the sharpest, white highlight on them and I think it would be good. Or just give it a couple of layers of slightly darker blue glaze to tone it down a bit, providing contrast for the model but retaining the theme.

I'll take a little more time and care with the amount of glow for the next EI model.  Which will probably be the Skiavoro who has been half-painted for a couple of years now.

I took a quick group shot of all of my painted Infinity.  It's mostly Morats.

IMG_1492.JPG

The Charontid's base is definitely too bright, and I will be glazing another layer or two of blue ink on there to get it back in line with the rest of them.

Next up is some Icestorm!

The phone photo also oversaturated things a bit, which makes it look even glowier.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

The Charontid's base is definitely too bright, and I will be glazing another layer or two of blue ink on there to get it back in line with the rest of them.

Actually, if you could crank up the glow on the Charontid to match the base as it is now and then dull the glow on the base to match the rest of your models, I think we'd have a winner.

Next up is some Icestorm!

Looking forward to it!

Thanks, Section9.

I can't realistically change the glowyness on the Charontid without stripping and repainting the entire model. This was intended to be a quick rebasing job, so I don't really want to upset the status quo too much. Maybe I'll consider it when I do the Anathematic or something, I don't know.

I wouldn't worry about it, I for one like the way that the dude and hte base blend, gives it a very otherworldly feel to it

I think it looks just great.

One theme strictly appied to the whole army. I like it. A lot.

look like taken straight from the invasion fleet ship :) nice 

I was running demos at the game store this weekend, so I made sure to get my "core" Icestorm models painted.  3 LI and an HI for each faction does a good job of showing the basic mechanics of the game.

IMG_1505.JPGIMG_1508.JPGIMG_1506.JPGIMG_1507.JPG

I painted basically everything with very simple solid color + contrasting wash techniques.  I even allowed myself a number of mistakes and did not go back and fix things up every time I got a dab of paint in the wrong place.  Even so, I paint pretty slowly and this still took me several multi-hour sessions.

Basic color recipes are included as a hedge against me losing my notes.

PanO:

• Armor - P3 Frostbite / P3 Exile Blue wash
  • Pants - P3 Hammerfall Khaki / P3 Bootstrap Leather wash
  • Mechanical - Vallejo Neutral Grey / Citadel Nuln Oil wash
  • Accessories - P3 Thornwood Green / Citadel Nuln Oil wash

Nomads:

• Primary - P3 Khador Red Highlight / P3 Sanguine Highlight wash
  • Secondary - P3 Greatcoat Grey / Citadel Nuln Oil wash
  • Mechanical - P3 Bastion Grey / Citadel Nuln Oil wash

I think PO looks "more painted" than Nomads. Red is flat and a little off details. Wash made a lot better work on blue. But I think it's Ok for demo...

The red wash looks better in person, but it is still less defined than the blue one. On the other hand, the blue wash is visibly splotchy in some places, due to the higher contrast. For demo figures I am perfectly happy with them.

PanO look very good to me, whatever paints you've used on them gave a lot better contrast than the Nomads.

I think black is really hard to be honest. It tends to look like like you've just base coated it or stop looking black at all after a few highlights. The red is really nice, could be a bit darker in places, but I'd say that's partially the black making the shadows look lighter.

I'd be quite happy to play a demo with models like that.   ;)

Maybe I'll take a picture of a Nomad with my good camera, in good lighting, rather than just these cell phone snaps. There's a lot more going on in person than these images show.