ChoKonnit

Vido Gams!

1,635 posts in this topic

A topic for the discussion of them other games you play using that new-fangled leccy-tronics stuff.

You know, plugging them into the aerial socket on the TV and blowing on the contacts before you put the cartridge in, that kinda stuff.

To start the ball rolling, Kanluwen says there's a new Star Wars: Battlefront on the way.

I played the Clone Wars one back on the Xbocks, and my preferences got me in trouble with the Star Wars crowd; i said i really didn't care about playing Wookies as i thought they were dumb - robots are much cooler!

Anyway, i don't know anything about this game so here's hoping i'll soon have TWO games to play on the stupid Xbone.

How long til the console wars starts in this thread? I give it until page 3.

Although that whole thing is kinda stupid if you ask me, because as we all know, it is best to be part of the glorious pc master race! ;-)

Heh.

I've known about Battlefront since before the beautiful teaser that DICE did at E3; the one with the snowspeeders and AT-ATs on Hoth. If it lives up to half of what I've been hearing--it's going to be a staple game for me for the next year and a half on XB1.

The Battlefront reveal is tomorrow though, not sure of exact times but it's at the Star Wars celebration.

PC MASTER RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, i was joking.

Also, just because youtube is full of people playing Attila I reinstalled my old Rome TW barbarian invasion, mainly because I can't be bothered (and lack the monetary capability) to get a new computer

I'll be renewing my PC Ubermensch card real soon; been meaning to do it for about 6 months now :/

My rig is showing its age; the motherboard and processor are obsolete and the graphics card, while a decent Radeon HD5870, is pretty outdated now.

Also cause I'm keen to get back to some strategy gaming as a change from all the FPSs i've been playing on the consoles.

As much as I'd love a good gaming PC, £300 is more doable than £1000. Also consoles are just more convenient, plug and play and no worries. On PCs there's too much maintenance, drivers, anti-virus, spending 4 hours on forums trying to find a fix or workaround because some stupid piece of hardware isn't compatible or whatever. 

I've been playing a lot XCOM, both the 2012 on exbawks and the 94 original with OpenXCOM - great fun. I know old pixel graphics put a lot of people off but I find them kinda charming. I replayed System Shock 2 when it came on GOG and loved it

The only game I'm waiting for is the new Deus Ex one.  The ps4 stays in its box until then.
I've got a PSN account that's unused since it was activate for my PS2 (needed to sign up in order to get cd to format the HD for my big n' chunky PS2, with external add-on network adapter (and IDE connector).  The Ps2 was never hooked up.

I played SW BF 1 and 2.  I don't need another BF game.

I'm just waiting for killing floor 2 to land next week on steam.

The last starwars game I played was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.  It was literally a thinly-veiled reskin of Age of Empires II (and I mean very thinly-vieled, the only 'new' stuff was aircraft, the rest was just blantant sprite replacement) but man was it a good game.

As much as I'd love a good gaming PC, £300 is more doable than £1000. Also consoles are just more convenient, plug and play and no worries. On PCs there's too much maintenance, drivers, anti-virus, spending 4 hours on forums trying to find a fix or workaround because some stupid piece of hardware isn't compatible or whatever. 

I've been playing a lot XCOM, both the 2012 on exbawks and the 94 original with OpenXCOM - great fun. I know old pixel graphics put a lot of people off but I find them kinda charming. I replayed System Shock 2 when it came on GOG and loved it

For that amount of money (£300) you get a PC that is as powerful if not more than a current season console.

And with all the updates on console games and you actually have to install games when you want to play there isn't really a reason to buy consoles anymore.

Building a PC nowadays is the easiest it ever was. Also almost no driver problems anymore with current hardware.

You can even hook the xbox and ps4 controllers directly onto your pc.

Also games are way cheaper on pc (even without pirating them).

Also steam sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxcSNaVCPA

And if there is a bug, you have a better chance of actually fixing it yourself, rather than being forced to wait for a patch.

And mods, gotta love mods.

.... tell me more!

I've not built a PC for like 7 or 8 years. Any recommendations on parts?

.... tell me more!

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

See the guides there.

No, really, take a look and read the whole thing, it is actually a very nice read.

I also built my last pc 8 years ago and I was suprised this year how cheap and easy it has become.

Might have a look at Battlefront when the price has dropped a bit. But since it is aimed at multiplayer I may still give it a pass. I dropped any pretense of ever being halfway competent in the FPS genre last year  and moved my efforts over to fighting games when I picked up Skullgirls on a whim and enjoyed it immensely. Now I have over 300 hours logged on Street Fighter, Skullgirls and Injustice and most of my friends refuse to play me. :(

On the single player side I'm currently working through a steam library bloated by too many steam sales and humble bundles. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag made me realize I'm probably the worst assassin ever, but a very good pirate. And I'm leading Valkyria Chronicles anime amazon brigade to victory.

For that amount of money (£300) you get a PC that is as powerful if not more than a current season console.

And with all the updates on console games and you actually have to install games when you want to play there isn't really a reason to buy consoles anymore.

This will be even more the case since the specs on the current gen consoles are also fairly lackluster for todays games. PS3 and XBOX360 were quite powerful for their time, but with a bit of research you can build the equivalent of a PS4 or XBone. There are often PC-gaming magazines that have lists for different budget to build your own PC as well as guides how to do it. I'd link some, but those I have bookmarked for friends are in german. -,-

I'm just waiting for killing floor 2 to land next week on steam.

I've spent so many hours in the first game with buddies and zombie shoot em ups aren't really a thing I like, KF is great fun. Really looking forward to KF2.

maney maney maneyyy

.... tell me more!

Just as an example, my current rig has a nvidia gtx 660 (2gb), 8 gigs of ram, a 2.8 ghz quad core cpu, and that will run every game currently out there on at least medium settings, normally the higher end graphics (I mostly need a better cpu, but can't upgrade it without changing the whole motherboard). And it doesn't cost that much to get all that equipment.

Hmm... I've recently seen skullgirls criticised for its problematic depictions of female characters, both in the game and on the artist's DeviantArt page. "Overly sexualised" and "Objectification" were just some of the accusations...

Think i'll download it tonight :^)

It's a fun game as far as fighters go, a genre which I struggle to get into but do enjoy. I'd agree with that criticism and the lead artist for the game absolutely loves that style of character design.

Cerebella the best, every other girl a shit.

Big Band is ok too

Hmm... I've recently seen skullgirls criticised for its problematic depictions of female characters, both in the game and on the artist's DeviantArt page. "Overly sexualised" and "Objectification" were just some of the accusations...

Think i'll download it tonight :^)

It's a great fighting game and the tutorial introduces you to many of the terms prevalent in such games, such as canceling, blockstun etc. I like the cartoony fan service/horror artstyle. But I won't lie, playing fighting games like DoA5 has seriously influenced my perception of women. I now suspect every pretty girl of  being a martial artist capable of kicking my ass straight through the next wall. And anyone with even vaguely asian features might be a ninja. But that's for that other thread.

Oh and the soundtrack is great, too!

Cerebella the best, every other girl a shit.

LIES! Parasoul ftw! or Eliza!

Battlefront sounds like a must have. Too much of a Star Wars nut to let that one slide! Hell, I even took my nickname of one of the best games produced in the franchise. I hope it will be PC friendly, as all I hear about it is console stuff and I never really liked consoles except for Nintendo's.

Other than that, I don't have any cool stuff coming out in the near future. Endless Space and Endless Legend (both 4x strategy) have kept me pretty occupied when it comes to gaming time, and a rerun of Republic Commando to keep the Star Wars kid in me happy has been enough for now. 

LIES! Parasoul ftw! or Eliza!

I actually haven't played since Eliza hit the beta which is a bit funny because she was my voted character on their polls on who to add. She looks great fun so I might have to boot it back up.

Last fighty game i played was BlazeBlue, which I did like.
I never got into the latest StreetFighter efforts; those character designs were a bit too crazy for me :/

Not for any sexualisationism reasons, but because they looked, to me, like a bunch of water balloons shoved into different-coloured morphsuits :/

Last fighty game i played was BlazeBlue, which I did like.

I never got into the latest StreetFighter efforts; those character designs were a bit too crazy for me :/

Not for any sexualisationism reasons, but because they looked, to me, like a bunch of water balloons shoved into different-coloured morphsuits :/

My brother is exactly the same. He absolutely hates the Street Fighter art style and refuses to play it. Or I might have traumatized his ego with a Poison's Ultra (involves liberal use of a riding crop) in our first few games. It's the same with Borderlands, which is funny 'cause he was the most loot obsessed Diablo 2 player I have ever seen. And Borderlands offers the same oceans of loot. "Yeah, I know it's a good game, but why does it have to look so ugly?" -,-

3 hours and 4 minutes for Battlefront reveal.