superginger

The Top 10 Mind Boggling Reasons Why The 40 Card Classified Deck Is Amazing! You Won't Believe What Happens Next!

45 posts in this topic

Nicely done sir ! ;)

Honestly, I don't hate the deck... I'm just going to make mine in french.

B)

I like that I don't have to look at a chart. I like that I have a user friendly reminder of what my classifieds are during the game. I like that the problem of someone other than your opponent having to verify the dice results is removed.

I dislike that you sometimes won't get to choose a classified if you are unlucky since you do not redraw duplicates.

I like the speed of the deck and the traceability.

Don't care for duplicates not being discarded and the size of the deck.

This thread is productive, you are credit to team...

Wish it was 10 cards.

Why did I think I  was going to see a Judge Death rickroll?

Actually I think even my dislike of the chance of drawing duplicates is likely not significant.

Someone correct my math if I'm wrong but I think the chances of being stuck with no choice are less than 1%.

(4 instances of a 2.5% chance to draw a first card so 10% as expected for drawing any given objective and then 3 instances of a slightly less than 2.5% chance of drawing the same objective so 10% x slightly less than 7.5% is less than 1% for both outcomes, and then being screwed on both objectives when you draw 4 for 2 classifieds would be even smaller)

Why did I think I was going to see a Judge Death rickroll?

If I was capable of orchestrating something like that on my phone I would have! Maybe when I get home.

I'll probably just stick to the chart myself because I'm lazy/cheap and never had a problem with it before (aside from the minor inconvenience of duplicates, but that's still a thing either way). It's just 1 page more in that already over 50 page scenario PDF and those cards look like they're mainly for artwork anyways.

Verifiability of drawn objectives is nice I suppose. Once upon a time my friend and I would actually write down or pic where hidden troops, LTs, and and such were just in case to verify, but now we just don't care as much and the same pretty much goes with rolling on that chart. I'd probably rather classifieds weren't secret info anyways.

I'd probably rather classifieds weren't secret info anyways.

That's very interested and something I've never even considered. Now that I'm thinking about it I kind of like that idea too. The classifieds that are easy to accomplish are mainly easy because your opponent doesn't know about it. The ones that are hard and mainly hard because they involve a die roll that you might fail, and wouldn't really be any harder if your opponent knows about it. This is definitely a change worth trying out. It might rebalance classifieds all by itself which would be amazing.

That was our general thought back when our group first started doing YAMS with all the personal and shared objectives face-up as well. :)

Could hardly be called Classified if they were open info, could they?

/not a bad idea

I kinda like some secret stuff though. Maybe there could be an option for an extra point for completing an open Classified, like Double-or-Quits.

I'll just stick with the set I downloaded from here (one of the members did them).

It's not like I'll be playing in an ITS this year anyway - so it hardly matters to me.  I'll wait for one of the local gushing fanboys to get a set  (warcor doesn't specify I have to be beta tester :P) and seeing it in person before deciding whether I want one.

Actually I think even my dislike of the chance of drawing duplicates is likely not significant.

Someone correct my math if I'm wrong but I think the chances of being stuck with no choice are less than 1%.

(4 instances of a 2.5% chance to draw a first card so 10% as expected for drawing any given objective and then 3 instances of a slightly less than 2.5% chance of drawing the same objective so 10% x slightly less than 7.5% is less than 1% for both outcomes, and then being screwed on both objectives when you draw 4 for 2 classifieds would be even smaller)

If I was capable of orchestrating something like that on my phone I would have! Maybe when I get home.

The exact chance is 3/39~0.7% with one classified. The chance for duplicates with two classifieds is 1-(36/39)*(32/38)*(28/37)~41%, not 100% sure it's correct though, 41% is pretty high. 36 is the number of cards I can draw without being the same as the first, 32 is the number of cards that are left out of 38 which are not the same as the first or the second, And 28 is the number of cards which isn't the same as the first, second or third card. So the probability of drawing four unique objectives is  (36/39)*(32/38)*(28/37), which means that the probability of not drawing four unique is 1 minus this probability.

Traceability is the big win. Its super important to me to know while playing and running tournaments that folks aren't cheating up a few OPs because of loose transparency to what they rolled.

A few OPs is big in most tournaments and I'm more a fan of objective OPs rather than classified OPs. Especially in scenarios like Annihilation. I don't like 2 OP classifieds, especially two of them.

A few OPs is big in most tournaments and I'm more a fan of objective OPs rather than classified OPs. Especially in scenarios like Annihilation. I don't like 2 OP classifieds, especially two of them.

Lost that battle again this year I see :S

I guess it would still be possible to run an all Annihilation tournament and just say no classifieds, making 6 be the most OPs each round.

As the primary local organizer, I'm taking it upon myself to make classified decks for my peeps. I've got Captain Spud's PDF printed, cut, and sleeved. I've spent about 3 hours making 80 cards, and each additional 40 is another hour. I plan on making 40 more.

I'm not making 40 per player. I'm making 10. I can provide for my community that way.

Lost that battle again this year I see :S

I guess it would still be possible to run an all Annihilation tournament and just say no classifieds, making 6 be the most OPs each round.

I'm quite content coming in 5th or 4th in a tourney knowing I did well via objectives. It feels cheap to me sometimes to score 2 OPs or even 4 with as little as 4 orders and often times no interaction with my oponent.

My recommendation for the Annihilation scenario was reduce the classifieds to 1 OP a piece and add another break point in the kill points.

300pt games, make them every 60pts/

400pts every 80pts.

If the classifieds were more about the HVTs, that would be something, because then its about protection, which is nice. Doctoring, engineering, FOing is just cheap to me.

What I have noticed this season so far is a lot less "Exp drug" and "telemetry" classifieds. Imagine that. More so than the addition of the HVT classifieds.

why do you hate the deck?

Because I think classifieds are shit. Only one that I feel actually adds to the game is the HVT one you can default to - that still leaves one more to play roulette with and two chances for your opponent to get random points for healing a dude. If I wanted bullshit random missions I'd play maelstorm in 40k

And the only thing worse than classifieds is getting the same one twice. Gross

My recommendation for the Annihilation scenario was reduce the classifieds to 1 OP a piece and add another break point in the kill points.

Yeah I'd definitely be in favor of this as well.  Annihilation is Annihilation.  Every other mission is about doing stuff, so there can be one mission about killing the opponent.  But it's exactly the same as it was last year so they didn't budge at all it looks like (that's what I was referring to with my previous comment about losing that battle again this year in case it wasn't clear).

Since it makes everybody have the same odds against the deck, and i dont have to look on a chart... im OK! 

Also this improves a lot the acountability on the game and makes things clear since you cant cheat on the cards. 

It's Infinity swag. It looks good and peps up a tournament or regular play. My players are more likely to forget what they're doing and get carried away killing each other than actively "be flexible" with their objectives.

However I need to spend money on more important things, so I may not be picking these up.

To keep it simple:

Making a product from one of their partners semi-mandatory, specially one that may change from this year to next since ITS is subject to changes from season to season, is a bad bad baaaaaad idea, and they should feel bad.

I'll either use dice or make my own deck, thank you.

Pretty much this.

In the UK (in the South, at least) IJW's Challenges have trained me to write Classifieds on the scoring sheets, so no-one can accuse me of picking one mid-game as it suits me (though, with the charts, I suppose I could just pick whichever classifieds I liked at game start and people would be none the wiser, if I were less scrupulous).

I like the idea of the Classified Deck doing away with the awkward rolling and shuffling of charts before the game begins. I like the production value that has gone into it (provided it doesn't say "objetive" on every damn card). And I don't mind paying just over £7 to get one.

I don't, however, like the ominous "2015" on the side as i'd like something i'm investing in halfway through the ITS season to at least take me through the rest of this one and the next. I also don't like feeling obliged to buy one just because i'm going to the Interplanetary.