GRAAK

How To Paint Eyes?

16 posts in this topic

Hi! Yesterday I've opened my Op. Icestorm box: the minis are amazing and the level of detail is just crazy!

My second thought was no time so optimistic: how can I paint them successfully? In particular eyes... I can barely notice them, how can I paint them?

Any suggestion, tutorial, step by step you can give me please?

Thanks!

Key thing is to do the eye before you do the rest of the face. I put black into the eye socket (could also use dark brown), then put a horizontal white line going across the eye, then a vertical black line going down the middle. Don't try to put a dot in the middle, just go for a line across the whole eye, you can go over the edges if needed. Then, when you paint the rest of the face, you can tidy it all up, what I do at this point it reduces the thickness of the black outline in the socket to make it less cartoony. Later on, when I apply a wash to the face it'll go into the eyes as well, this will reduce the intensity of the white.

This isn't the only way of doing it, and if you're looking for a more professional, competition standard technique then it may not be for you. But I find it quick to do and quite forgiving of mistakes.

inf_fusil2.jpg

The hardest thing with eyes isn't painting them, it's making both of them look like they belong to the same face!

I say that all the normal tip ans tricks thats available works for me but some of the sculpts are just extreamly hard to do well. Sorry but thats simply the problem with the detail and scale of the mini. Some eye mimic simply produces a level of detail that are to small to paint proberly for normal people. Whill other are ok as the mini hase the eye wide open.

This I probery one of the big problem I have with the infinity models the level of derail are so high you need extreamly high skill level to paint the mini proberly and make use if all small fine detail.

I finde my self stressing over small detail insted of focosing on the overall quality of the mini.

Best regards

Daniel

Quoting of mine:

Considering the last two pics i think you've got it pretty much figured out, but here's the standard advice i give when asked:

To give a quick summary, you paint the eyes before anything else in the mini, and in a way that you reduce the need of extreme precision to the absolute minimum, by going from the inside out, which covers any mistakes and makes it far easier than the standard "place very very carefully a dot in the center" thing
The alternative, which works for some minis and not others (pretty much no Ariadna for example), is glowing eyes, but that's for another day (i need to find my links to that)

I have tried it this way with other minis and it works just fine :D

Don't forget to paint eyebrow !  :confident:

It's sometimes more important than the eye and give a lot of charism to your mini  :D

I normally put a small thin amount of black in the eye slit, then I have a 0000 brush I put the tiniest amount of white -not watered down and put a dot of white either side of where the pupil is.

I use Riquende's method but I use inks where possible for pupils/irises. A glossy material has a deeper black than a matt does, and is vastly easier to handle than a tiny blob of paint which dries out on your paintbrush. Bear in mind I came up with this technique when painting the much smaller-scale pre-N3 miniatures.

1. dot both sides of the eye, dot the pupil. Don't paint the white, dots are far harder to screw up than lines.

2. Use a bigger brush with good point. If you use a 00 you get one attempt and if you don't hurry the paint will dry. A bigger brush takes more paint -> more moisture -> more time to work.

3. don't use white for the whites, use off-white or bone color instead.

Male eyes (or girl, no makeup)

• black eye socket
  • white point in the midle, with a 000 or smaller brush. I rather non diluithed white paint, I take a lot of care to have a minimal amount of paint
  • For pupil, the esiest method is a pen, like micron. Or put some paint over the tip of a pin, When you have more skill, a 5 zero brush make a better result
  • Eyebrows

For girl eyes, i first paint the makeup in the eye soket covering an area larger than the black countours. Then I follow the very same procedures. 

Thank you!

What do you think of this procedure?

White primer on the mini

Paint the irises (light blue or brown)

Define irises borders with white

Define the eye border with black

Paint flesh color (in this way I hope to be able to regulate the eyelashes effect.

Screw everything up trying to make the pupil :D (I'm kidding :this step comes as 3rd step)

I don't personally agree with going for a small paint brush. The tip of your brush should be pretty small even on larger brushes, and using something smaller than a 0 shouldn't normally be necessary, even for eyes. A smaller paint tip is going to dry pretty quickly, and you'll probably find yourself with a much smaller painting time and just being frustrated when you made that perfect stroke and got no paint for your achievement.

If you're just starting out painting, then there's no problem skipping a lot of steps. Painting the skin and using a wash/glaze/shade to fill the gaps will help show you where the eyes are if they are hard to find. As long as you paint the white/ivory of the eyes and dot with a dark pupil (colored or just black), it'll be noticeable and look good. You can just paint the eye white, dot with black, and work on more steps as you improve brush control and get more experience. You can clean up the eyes and paint them down to the size you want when you start working on the skin of the face.

005pen.jpg

Dark Brown entire eye socket

Paint a small horizontal oval (or short, thick line) of ivory or off white, this is the eye

Dot the eye with the micron, make sure dot is in same place along both eyes or it will look bad

i.e. dot in center of each white ovail/line, or dot to the left of the center of each white oval/line, make sure both eyes are looking to the same place

Great link, thanks for sharing! I use the black eye socket with two dots of off white on the edges. I always found painting the pupil tough. I usually use my 000 brush for eyes.

I can't remember the site name, but my process is something like this:

~Paint the entire eye white, before even touching skin color.  Doesn't matter if you go over.

~Paint around the eye with a dark color, or whatever you want the eyeliner color to be.  Sometimes I'll just skip this and throw a wash over the white, and then retouch the raised part in white again.

~Paint the pupil/iris as sort of an off-shape line.  If you use a dot, try to center the larger part of it towards the top of the eye, eyes are rarely ever straight on, especially if someone is looking up or out at something.  You can go in with a retouch on the eyeliner on the top of the eyelid if you need to, we haven't touched the skin yet.

~When you're satisfied, start painting the skin, but use brushstrokes that go away from the eye, as it allows more control so you do not paint the eye.

I like to paint the eyes looking towards a direction. I think they look more characterful. But for me it's just easier. When I try the line or dot method I can never get them spaced right.

First I paint in the base color for the skintone. Then paint the eyes black. Then using a cold grey (never pure white), paint in the Sclera. Then using Black, I just simply paint in the eye about half or so in the direction I want them to look. Then once I start layering up the face, I correct any excess black around the eye using skintones.

Attached pics are a couple of results

post-2286-0-15564300-1433042813_thumb.jp

post-2286-0-09164400-1433043161_thumb.jp