8Bit_Jesus

The Igao - What Even Is It?

174 posts in this topic

I proxied one yesterday. I love the model so figured I'd used him in a game, but I didn't really get what he was supposed to be, or do?

Does anyone have any ideas?

The Tohaa seem to have better options elsewhere, so is the Igao usable??

It's a very vanilla, very basic camo troop. It's useful in certain builds that center around lots of camo, because it pairs nicely with the extremely good Clipsos.

It's a supplemental piece rather than a primary one, but it has its place. Use it as a cruise missile or a throwaway to bait out or lock down enemy threats without risking your more valuable, more versatile pieces.

It's often not well loved because it isn't straight "better" than anything available to the faction, because Tohaa have very likely the best TO Camo Infiltrator in the game.

I didn't need it to be better than a Ninja, I just wanted it to be better than it is.  A very "vanilla" infiltrator, which was billed to us as a "Tohaa ninja with a naginata", was underwhelming.

Incredible model, though.  I'm probably going to convert my Igao into my new Neema, and turn my Neema into just a lady Ectros or Sakiel.

Strongly disagree with Dawson. 

Igao is a fantastic tool for taking out enemy armor. Igao BS/AP CCW is a solid TAG counter for not many points. Ninjas wish they had a boarding shotgun option. Have to shell out for the Oniwaban to get a BS, and both Oniwaban and Ninja have lower BS than Igao.

Igao Combi/Nanopulser is another upgrade from ninja weapons. Ninjas do not get a template and having one would greatly increase their attack options. Again, the higher BS makes the Combi deadlier in the hands of the Igao. You of course lose some survivability because of having camo instead of TO, but the combi ninja also costs 8 points more than the Igao.

I won't argue that Frenzy on a camo troop is awkward. 

What even it is ?? It's the question that drives us... The answer is out there :

Really great model to sit in your cabinet.

Or if you REALLY hate supply boxes.

Actually Life Blood might justify the Igao. I played it and I missed her.

Dunno, I think it has some good uses for it.  Tie up an Avatar in CC for a few turns even.  It's value is when an opponent does not expect it.  Also great for dislodging a TR remote from your opponent's side of the field.  Get up close and kill in in CC where it can't pump you with an HMG.  

Just can't fathom that price. More expensive than the clipsos, but worse camo and frenzy. Surely MA and shitty CCW isn't worth the difference?

I love melee troops, even used them a lot last edition when it was a joke, but just can't justify putting Igao into any list.

Igao is a fantastic tool for taking out enemy armor. Igao BS/AP CCW is a solid TAG counter for not many points. Clipsos wish they had a boarding shotgun option.

ftfy. Shotgun is the only real advantage over clipsos. Sure we can get one, but at 1 SWC its honestly not a real option in my eyes

The Igao is actually pretty decent, it's just that the Clipsos is so amazingly good.

The trouble is that they inhabit similar price points, but where the Clipsos is stripped down and equipped with the best gear for the role, the Igao has second rate gear for the role and carries some baggage.

The Igao should either be a 30+ point camo skirmisher which has superior stats, or the Clipsos should be similarly increased in price and capability. Giving the Igao, say, Symbiont Armour (and ARM 1) and Smoke Grenades rather than Flash Grenades would make it more expensive but also give it a distinct advantage over the Clipsos.

I was hoping for a sub 20 point melee skirmisher myself. Otherwise would have settled for either type of Smoke, that would have been incredible

Boarding Shotguns are always good. But overall its just not that interesting of a unit. I'm speculating because I only just bought my tohaa, but the igao really needs something to make it better , even if the points increase. Mines would be amazing for example. Smoke grenades or swarm grenades instead of flash, viral ccw, etc... Any one extra thing could make it a fantastic and more fun unit.

The biggest problem I have with it is its CCW. A Templar, EXP, Monofilament, or Viral weapon–or even the Poison skill–would have made for Igao worth its model.

What it is is a great model that's kinda useful depending on your play style. A BS infiltrator with decent melee is quite nice.

Hide him in a spot where your opponent has to get close to discover and blast him in the face at +6. A Camo infilitrator in cover does a marvellous job keeping people to scared to advance into that area of the board. If your list can capitalise on that, great.

He's also fantastic for sneaking about your opponents deployment without causing AROs and killing off cheerleaders, docs, snipers and the like.

Having said that I've struggled to get much use out of Bran do Castro, and he's an Igao on some serious cyberpunk equivalent of crack, so I doubt I'll have much use for the Igao.

Still got the model because it's cool :)

What it is is a great model that's kinda useful depending on your play style. 

I don't get this, really. It fits a specific list theme (camo overload), just because of lack of better alternatives. The only playstyle that the Igao fits is "I dont mind if I run bad models as long as they look cool". I think past a certain point trying to defend bad models with "everything is viable! this is Infinity" is just giving bad information.

Let's be honest: the Igao is pretty crap. It looks cool, and we don't have any better alternatives for camo models once your Clipsos are at AVA3. If you want to run it, there's your two reasons, and they aren't great ones.

The only playstyle that the Igao fits is "I dont mind if I run bad models as long as they look cool".

Hey ! That's just my playstyle !! Cool !

:excited:

I really wish people would stop saying the Clipsos is "stripped down".

It's not. It's just underpriced.

Let us compare it with a Spektr.

Is +1 BS, WIP and ARM really worth 7 points?

Hey ! That's just my playstyle !! Cool !

:excited:

I have used her in a few games just because I like the idea of a frenzied ninja severing limbs whiles running crazy.

In my last game, her DA CCW cut down a Gecko who got too close :P

Apparently! :S

I've said it before and will presumably have to point it out again in the future - the Clipsos is by far the best TO skirmisher for it's cost in the game. It's points cost simply doesn't add up compared to the other equivalent units, to the extant that I still think it got given a discount when Tohaa were introduced because of being the only infiltrator and for some reason that discount hasn't been removed.

I would agree that the Clipsos is cheap to the point that I find myself leaving it out due to model availability rather than stats. 

Theres no way the Iago can directly compete in the stats/cost so it really needs something to differentiate it enough to take other than in the situations Calmdown mentioned.

Is a 5% bump in primary ability (shooting) 5% bump in objective completion (on an infiltrating hidden deployment unit!) and a bump to survivability worth 7 points?

Is... I...  Did you...  Wh...  WUT?