farseerixirvost

Can You Recommend A Good Gray Primer?

41 posts in this topic

Hoping this doesn't break the "No Advertising NonPartner Stuff" rules since I don't think any of the partners produce paint...

Looking for a good gray primer. What do you recommend?

For reference, I dislike the price of Citadel primers, but I still buy them due to the very high quality of them.

...Citadel primers...

I believe only their black is actually formulated as a primer, the rest are just paint.

As to your question, Armory grey is a nice smooth light grey, and DupliColor grey is a little darker.  Both are great.

Krylon.  Stuff is amazing, probably the only primer they sell that I will swear by.  It has a very high opacity so you don't need a lot of coats.  Buy from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and you pay just a bit over 3 bucks for a large can.

Vallejo. Best primer on the market, and not expensive.

Vallejo. Best primer on the market, and not expensive.

A spray? Or is it brush on? I didn't realize they did primer.

Vallejo Surface Primer is very nice. It's for airbrush, but you can brush it on too.

I've had great luck with Testors Flat Light Aircraft Gray, its cheap but the can is quiet small. Be careful thou it is a little thick and it sticks to whatever its sprayed on.

Krylon.  Stuff is amazing, probably the only primer they sell that I will swear by.  It has a very high opacity so you don't need a lot of coats.  Buy from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and you pay just a bit over 3 bucks for a large can.

I second Krylon. The stuff is pretty epic.  Always had positive experiences when using it.

I have had good luck with Army Painter primers, though I have never used their gray.

I do not like Vallejo's gray because it's so pale it might as well be white.  It does go on nicely with an airbrush, however.

I second Krylon. The stuff is pretty epic.  Always had positive experiences when using it.

I have had good luck with Army Painter primers, though I have never used their gray.

I do not like Vallejo's gray because it's so pale it might as well be white.  It does go on nicely with an airbrush, however.

Hey MJ, to second Guges, a buddy of mine swears by Army Painter's Uniform Grey primer.

Tamiya primers are incredible. I also second Krylon, difference is that Krylon you'll lose more detail as it goes on thicker, and tamiya is super fine, either works though.

Loth

I'll add a positive vote for Vallejo Grey, it is quite light as Guges commented, but it's worked well for me on the last batch of figs I painted.

It was the first time I 'brush primed' for years, and I have to admit I found the whole process kinda relaxing

Oh man, I need to get out more....

I also use Vallejo Surface Primer. I originally just grabbed it to practice with my airbrush awhile back, but ended up falling in love. I'm still a fan of P3 Primer's when I don't want to break out my airbrush. Krylon is also good, but I only tend to use that for terrain.

For spray on, Army Painter Uniform Grey. For brush on or Airbrush, Vallejo Grey Surface Primer is some kind of magical wizard shit.

I like th Badger Stynlrez primers.

Duplicolor or similar sandable car primer, just have to look around at all the rattle can offerings, but the airbrush versions (not as durable handling wise as the car primers though) are mixable so you get a specific base coat color (in the black to white spectrum)

I went through four or five cans of Army Painter Uniform Gray while painting my imperial guard. The stuff is great. 

Army painter is fairly cost prohibitive.  There are pros and cons to each primer, as far as I know the list would be something like this:

~Krylon - You can overdo it if you aren't careful.  Small thin coats are best, lest you gunk up a model.

~Airbrush Primers - Tend to not have the 'tooth' that others do.  Great for airbrushed models, but not for hand painting.

~Army Painter - Expensive.  Otherwise, these are amazing as you can buy the respective color in the army painter line and it will match the primer perfectly.  Also the only company with a pure black primer, not an off black or charcoal.

~Tamiya - Expensive and small bottles.

~Testors - Inexpensive, but their brand is an enamel so it will be thicker.  You can, however, use Dullcoat to prime, but finding where you didn't get the coat on is impossible.

I like th Badger Stynlrez primers.

I'd like it if I could pronounce the stupid name.

Rattlecan:

Rustoleum American Accents 2x Primer.  I used to love Krylon as much as the next guy, (it's the same or better than Citadel, since they buy their paint from Krylon, and often purchase "factory seconds" batches.) but this stuff is excellent.  Better coverage and opacity, good bond to metal, seems to be more tolerant of humidity/temperature during application, and in the case that you do accidentally overcoat, it's easy to remove only as much as you need.

Sortof rattlecan:

Testors makes an aerosol "airbrush" kit that costs around $20, and comes with a can pf propellant and multiple colors.  They make multiple kits, so you can find one with the color spread you want.  The paint is not actually an acrylic, but is fantastic as a primer.  Good bonding, excellent coverage/opacity, and it's easy to accomplish very thin coats with just enough surface roughness (miniscule!) to catch and hold later coats of paint.  You can even manage to do a good zenithol highlight with this kit, but i don't recommend it for detail work.  Most important: It slices the difference between expense of an airbrush setup and the fidgety nature of rattlecans.  You wind up with very much the best of both options on this...  It's not going to be cheaper than Krylon or Rustoleum, but compared to a lot of the P3/Army Painter/Citadel/Other "professional" spray-can primers, it's about the same (or less!) and will give you a far better result.

Airbrush:

Haven't tried the gray, but the black Vallejo primer worked very well for me.

Forget everything you know about primer.  

I'm about to tell you about the best primer you can get.  You'll never want or need another primer again.  You may even leave your wife or girlfriend for this primer.

dup-sandprimer-400.jpg

This stuff is seriously the shit.  It's like $5-6 a can, first of all.  You can even afford a good burger after you buy it, or get that divorce you've always wanted.

Second, it's not powder based (I don't think).  It doesn't clump or get all weird on you.  It goes on ultra smooth and ultra fine every time.  It's almost impossible to overspray this stuff.  You would really have to be some kind of maniac on the trigger to ruin a mini with this stuff and even then I'm not convinced you could do it.

I really can't overstate how good this stuff is.  I have used everything else, including Krylon and nothing comes close to this.  I literally make a special trip to the ONE store in my town to get this stuff, even though it's far away for me.   I have used every color but the red.  I'm a big fan of using the grey primer, and then a light dusting of the white over the grey for some zenithal action.  Works great.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

dup-sandprimer-400.jpg

I consistently see those mentioned in every single primer-related thread, i need to try them out but haven't seen them in hardware stores here in Spain...

Dupli-color is my favorite these days (for all the reasons Insidius mentioned).  :thumb-up: 

If based in the UK Halfords metal primers are a must, also available in red and white.

I do not like Vallejo's gray because it's so pale it might as well be white. It does go on nicely with an airbrush, however.

Buy the other grey, it's darker even if they named it US Navy Light Ghost Grey. Dark ghosts must be pitch black. :lol: Vallejo and their name selection... :facepalm:

I consistently see those mentioned in every single primer-related thread, i need to try them out but haven't seen them in hardware stores here in Spain...

Car or universal primers will do, whatever is locally avaliable (Halfords...). They could be vanishing where you live, not unheard of. And the Dupli-Color you will probably find (by Motip-Dupli) is not that Dupli-Color (by Sherwin-Williams, as Krylon). FYI, Montana are also like that, different brands using same or similar names.

You should be able to get http://pinturas-dami.com/550-imprimación-universal-spray-400-ml-dupli-color.html, also in some shops they have a beige one, instead of grey because it seems more soldable for DIY.   :blink:  Or try the ones from different ranges. It's a bit messy, dupli-color universal primer red 400ml shares safety data with motip car primer red 150ml, but car primer red 500ml is different. Safety sheet for universal grey shows 7 references. :_noway__by_bad_blood:

Well, I have to disagree with krylon.  Yes, if I'm priming a lawn chair great.  Models no, the stuff will come on way to thick if you mess up just a little bit.  I'd say Walmart primer.  Comes in a variety of colors including grey.  Super thin, no details lost, unless you really, really, really try to coat it on.  

As for painting I have a friend that uses valejo grey airbrush as a paint on.  He likes it.  

I'd never prime with grey ever again, but if that's your thing those are from experience good and at least the Walmart primer pretty cheap.

But then again, I'm black and white kind of guy. 

Rule of thumb if you can't find the right primer at your local hobby shop, look in hardware stores frist; if that dose not work try local auto part stores. A little peace of advise past on to me by vet wargamers in my area.