IJW Wartrader

Yet Another Mission System (YAMS) 2nd Edition - alpha testing!

59 posts in this topic

Awesome!  Glad to see an updated version of this excellent system.

We're going to have to try this out! I just need to find somebody to play against

Looks great! Thanks for updating the system and sharing it with us. 

If someone has the Outmaneuvered ability, when do they decide they will choose to re-roll initiative vs the other options? Are they able to simply lose the Initiative roll then decide?

Really like the flag extending ZoC idea. I think other rules and abilities should be changed to accommodate this rather than removing it if it synergises a bit too well with other abilities.

I have read the new system now. Of course I still have to give it a big think before I give a more thorough analysis. 

However, one thing that strikes me is that as an Ariadna player I find the battlefield conditions table rather frustrating. 40% chance of not neither having an  exclusion zone nor a storm is not so nice when the strength of your faction is infiltration and the access to msv is pretty limited. I understand that I can have a pick from two lists. Why not add in a electric storm causing white noise for the balance? Or bring in a weather forecast strategic card to cancel the storm event. 

Questions: When I add one to the infiltration level of the trooper, does that mean any trooper can get inferior infiltration, including TAGs?

"Costs one extra card." means the player has to give up another strategy card for the sake of putting a trooper in suppression fire?  

Can't wait to try this out! One question: for the split deployment, if a player chooses deployment do they determine if they want the single small zone or two split zones, or are those predetermined by table side/initiative order? 

4 hours ago, what_is_tactics? said:

If someone has the Outmaneuvered ability, when do they decide they will choose to re-roll initiative vs the other options? Are they able to simply lose the Initiative roll then decide?

If you want to re-roll for Initiative you need to do so 'Immediately after rolling.'. The other two abilities are used in the 'before deployment' phase.

4 hours ago, what_is_tactics? said:

Really like the flag extending ZoC idea. I think other rules and abilities should be changed to accommodate this rather than removing it if it synergises a bit too well with other abilities.

:thumb-up:

4 hours ago, prophetofDoom said:

I have read the new system now. Of course I still have to give it a big think before I give a more thorough analysis. 

However, one thing that strikes me is that as an Ariadna player I find the battlefield conditions table rather frustrating. 40% chance of not neither having an  exclusion zone nor a storm is not so nice when the strength of your faction is infiltration and the access to msv is pretty limited. I understand that I can have a pick from two lists.

I will be looking at reducing the frequency of the Exclusion Zone, and probably the Storm as well. Also, the ability to deploy near your HVT will probably become a default rather than needing a Strategy Card.

As far as Storm conditions are concerned, I think you may be doing Ariadna a disservice. Thanks to Mavericks and Minutemen, vanilla Ariadna has higher AVA of MSV1 than most factions have of MSVs, the Visibility MODs stack with all the Camo MODs and the MOV difficulty has no effect on 4-4 troops.

Why not add in a electric storm causing white noise for the balance? Or bring in a weather forecast strategic card to cancel the storm event. 

White Noise would have a far more binary effect as it would prevent MSV troops from being able to draw LoF at all except when shot at, rather than just reducing their effectiveness. However I'm considering making Zero Visibility gain the Reflective trait in Storm conditions, and possibly letting troops with Multiterrain ignore Low Visibility Zones during Storm conditions.

Questions: When I add one to the infiltration level of the trooper, does that mean any trooper can get inferior infiltration, including TAGs?

No, for the obvious balance reasons. :) 

You can increase an infiltrating trooper's level of the Infiltrate skill but you can't add it from scratch.

However you can give Forward Deployment L1 to a trooper that doesn't have it, and then use a second card to bump it up to L2 etc.

"Costs one extra card." means the player has to give up another strategy card for the sake of putting a trooper in suppression fire?  

Yes. This is the remnant of a mechanic that largely got dropped, and will probably get changed to costing a Command Token instead.

2 hours ago, LeemanRuss said:

Can't wait to try this out! One question: for the split deployment, if a player chooses deployment do they determine if they want the single small zone or two split zones, or are those predetermined by table side/initiative order? 

The player with Deployment can choose.

Why not add a Saturation zone for particularly heavy storm?

Yep, I guess I left out the new USAriadna profiles in my thoughts about the storm and MSV 1. I have to admit that this is due to the stupid selfish fact that I don t have the models. Ariadna should be able to deal with a bit of darkness in turm 1. 

I agree that white noise is devastating to MSV models, and probably not the best idea. But the idea of the counter still stands. Maybe just a bit of more events? maybe dusk or dawn missions, etc. I got a table in reserve which I have not used. 

i think the idea of a deployment bubble in ZOC of the HVT is pretty difficult to balance. 

It's not a deployment bubble around the HVT, but a 'lack of Exclusion Zone' bubble around the HVT.

@IJW Wartrader

A few questions.

1. for the objectives do you need 1 deck between 2? or one deck each?
  2. for the battle field conditions do you each roll on the table? (so you can end up with say P1 with normal deplyment and P2 with corner square?)
  3. 4 strategy cards seems quite a few... should there be a discard component somewhere?
  4. again, should the strategy deck be one each or 1 between 2?

1. It's designed around one deck each, but from experience with YAMS1 it will also work with a shared deck - you'll just know that your opponent's secret objectives can't be the same as yours.

2. No, a single roll. I didn't explain that clearly enough in the document.

3. Bear in mind that each one only gives you a single boost, but it's definitely something that needs playing around with.

4. One deck each.

*adds another copy to the print queue*

depending what gets played tonight we might try this :)

I love the storm. Ariadna loves the storm. Briscards love the storm, Skirmishers love the storm, and I wish the storm was in ITS. It's brilliant that it only lasts for the first turn. You know who loves the storm? Bandits love the storm.

The possibly exclusion zone might hit Ariadna players harder than other factions, but only because you can't plan for it like you could in ITS, and the average infiltrator count for Ariadna might be higher. Many Yu Jing players say they always bring at least 2 Skirmishers anyway, and I'd rather a couple SAS and Chasseurs get bumped back than my Daofei. Or Malignos or Dasyus. When I look at it that way I'm not sure if there's an imbalance issue hidden in there, or just the phantom of one. I'll see how it plays out.

I'm not attached to the deployment expansion with the flag as much as the possibility of upgrading infiltration. The flag trick can be done every time, if it's abusable then someone is going to abuse it every game. Upgrading infiltration requires the card so is unpredictable, and the chaos element is good. I'd think that would be easier to balance because peoples lists and plans won't be consistently relying on it.

Edit: clarified some of my own questions with information already present.

...the storm could also give a malus to combat jump? that would be...characterful at least!

Does anyone have playtest feedback yet?

I have several updates to make but would like to here about people's game experiences first.

Sorry, I haven't had time to play it yet. :( Nobody wanted to play Infinity last week, and I'm running a demo on Monday (curse you new players :angry:), so I won't get to try next week either. I'm intending to give you some feedback once I've played a game.

Some cards don't state their OP value (Example: Kill the Boffin). Are they worth 1 or 2, base?

Oops. Yes, any card that doesn't state an OP value is worth 2 OP.