IJW Wartrader

Yet Another Mission System (YAMS) 2nd Edition - alpha testing!

59 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2016 at 8:45 PM, IJW Wartrader said:

Once I have WIFI again I'll upload it to my own server and post the link here, but that's likely to be after the weekend.

If WIFI has been out for that long you probably somewhere in the wilderness, stuck without editing software to finish and upload the latest version?

Any further developments on this? YAMS is a lot of fun.

Work has finally restarted on YAMS 2!

The version 2 alpha 3 file is now up on my own server (and linked again in the first post): http://wargamingtrader.com/yams/yams-2-alpha-3

NEW DIRECTIONS

Given my dissatisfaction with the pre-game cards and some other issues, there is likely to be a bigger revamp on the way, where each player gets a bigger single main mission but the cards drawn affect how that mission has to be performed. 'It was Achilles in the Objective Room using a Blunt Instrument.' :evil:

I'll be trying to work some espionage elements in as well, for example each player's mission starts off hidden from the other player, but the opponent can try and reveal different parts of the mission as the game goes on. Or for more normal games, pick out a single mission setup that both players are trying to achieve.

Note that the emphasis will not be on 'balanced' games in an ITS sense, but on making the games more interesting from a narrative point of view, even if that gives one player or the other an 'advantage'. I'd love to add some 'plot twist'-style events, but that's probably not going to gel well with the very crunchy mechanics of Infinity.

BITS THAT WORK WELL

Several parts of YAMS2 work well and are likely to be carried over:

• Multiple Deployment Zone options,
  • Storms, Exclusion Zones and a wider variety of weather effects,
  • Flags, HVTs and Consoles, probably with the addition of a Dropship or landing pad.

So, watch this space!

Suggestions for revealing enemy hidden objectives:

- Coup de grace an enemy model with the Regular trait. Coup de grace on the enemy lieutenant could possibly reveal all hidden objectives?

- WIP roll against an enemy model in ZoC with a hacker. -3 to WIP if the enemy has an EVO hacker.

That's the kind of lines I was thinking along, although more specifically having Coup de Grace let the trooper also make a WIP Roll to reveal a card and letting Hackers use Spotlight but instead of putting the target in Targeted state it reveals a card instead.

Getting a hacker in contact with the console (possibly with a WIP Roll) could reveal some secrets too.

Or "interrogating" the HVT with a Doctor/Paramedic!