JSIVEY

Resin or Plasticard bases?

4 posts in this topic

I am looking for some bases for my first set of Infinity figures and I am looking for a "subtle" base for them. By subtle I mean something that doesn't overshadow the work on the figures. I would like to use the Customeeple base tops for PanOceania and Nomads, but living in the U.S. makes them expensive and I don't know I want to wait for them to be shipped from Spain.

My first question is: Is there a company in the U.S. that sells those base tops? I know several that sell other items of theirs but I've not seen the base tops. I am particularly interested in the PanO tops with the perpendicular lines. It's simple, but can be made to look like a warehouse, or the floor of a ship, or military base.

Also, is there a large preference of resin or plasticard tops? Resin obviously is one piece versus glued pieces, but do people have a strong preference for one or the other? 

As I said, this is my first attempt at painting, but I prefer to buy good materials the first time around rather than having to go back again and again because of shotty craftsmanship.

I've painted resin, plasticard and MDF/HDF toppers and even acrylic bases. They are all good. The resin does get you deeper detail but the toppers/acrylic are easier to paint. I haven't seen any companies sell them, infinity harbor would be your best bet but you would have to request through them.  Antenocitis has some great simple bases that are similar to what you are looking for. Both infinity harbor and warsenal got them.

It very much depends on the look you are going for. As @Snowball pointed out, the resin bases give you deeper detail, meaning you can get higher stacked bases, such as rocks, etc. The only card base tops I've seen, have all been a variation on the tiled floor theme. That being said, Warnsel do some stacked Acrylic bases that are disks of Acrylic stacked together to give 3D detail. 

The other alternative is to get some card, some old sprues, wire and some textured paint, and you can quickly and easily build up your own bases by gluing random bits on the base and then painting it. 

If I recall correctly, Warsenal carries Antenociti products and have stuff of their own, those will serve you well.

As for resin vs plasticard vs others, it's all a matter of personal preference, so I'd advice you if you can to try it all and decide afterwards. No matter which way you go it can be very nice, so it's better for you to try them out and see.