Willyb0ne

Willyb0ne's Forest Board WIP

19 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I said I'd start an Archologies Thread with pic's of the Forest board I am making for Conrontation but will be adapting for games of Infinity.

All feedback very welcome - remember I'm doing this thread to get feedback about the playability of the board and any problem you guys see during the WIP are great as I can direct creation of the board with that feedback in mind...

What skills/Weapons should I be wary of... MSV has been raised but I may have a home-brew solution...

Wire Tree's,

56a0a80ad8ee2_WireTreesCorkMounds.thumb.

Further away...

56a0a8e3d11e6_WireTreeCorkBark2.thumb.jp

Another Tree further along in the process... it has had Milliput added and sculpted over the wire skeleton... WireTreeCloseUp.thumb.jpg.446bb73678fb48

This is obviously WAY off the terrain density I intend for Infinity games... but gives a hint at the general aesthetics that are developing for the board...

56a0abb9830b6_WireTreesMilliput.thumb.jp

This pic shows the developing 'large mound' in early form... this will be developed with the Cork Bark effect and 'randomed' up a bit with additional Tree's and bushes... This will kind of take the place as a 'big building' in Urban Games...

56a0ad8016dd3_WireTreeCorkMoundLarge.thu

Model style POV... there will be way more added to this thing so I'm hoping this kind of approach will stop the board from being an MSV Turkey Shoot... probably the highest level of the board will be a combination of Low Visibility Zone + High Saturation Zone... with plenty of cover available in the form of tree's and roots etc... the whole board will have clear areas as well...

DaofeiPOV.thumb.jpg.219add5c6d0f48273a8d

More very soon...

I love that miliput bark and I'm totally stealing it.

Also, if you're looking for gameplay inspiration find Scenery Planet's Paradiso table on youtubes. They made their plants in two types - big trees with thick trunks, roots etc., that give WYSIWYG cover, and blobs of smaller bushes and other random greenery that models could sneak between but the whole blob was treated as a low-vis zone instead. I found it pretty well thought-out gameplay-wise.

1 hour ago, Pierzasty said:

Also, if you're looking for gameplay inspiration find Scenery Planet's Paradiso table on youtubes. They made their plants in two types - big trees with thick trunks, roots etc., that give WYSIWYG cover, and blobs of smaller bushes and other random greenery that models could sneak between but the whole blob was treated as a low-vis zone instead. I found it pretty well thought-out gameplay-wise.

Thanks - I stole the Milliput Bark technique for it anyway... so go nuts and we've both got blood on our hands!

Scenery Planet stuff sounds good - I've seen it and they do make fantastic boards.

Cautious Movement seems to never come up... I'm hoping that with this board, Cautious Movement will be a fun and interesting aspect to games in the forest along with the roots and trees providing cover with bushes disrupting LOS.

Looks cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

I'm working on something similar - military base hidden in the jungle - and for ease of storage I'm planning on magnetizing the trees. This way they can be easily detached, when needed.

Outstanding start.  Now following this log.  Looking forward to progress! 

And I forgot about that Scenery Planet table - holy <expletive deleted> that is one nice table.  When I win the lottery...  :thumb-up:

Hell, those trees look very striking as just the wire before the miliput bark. I think the the trees look very nice further along in the process too, but I could totally see going with just the wire skeleton as alien flora.

A forest board is a long term plan for me, thanks for the idea.

11 minutes ago, jfunkd said:

Hell, those trees look very striking as just the wire before the miliput bark. I think the the trees look very nice further along in the process too, but I could totally see going with just the wire skeleton as alien flora.

A forest board is a long term plan for me, thanks for the idea.

Cheers - if you sand/file the bare wire, then texture it with one of GW's texture paints - I would say the crackle one and the one with little sand grains in it - I think it would look really interesting...

I'm glad if this thread inspires some and I'm totally open to everyone's suggestions and advice/experience.

More to come soon...

9 hours ago, Pierzasty said:

Try air-drying clay, way cheaper but should give similar results.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎14‎:‎32‎, Willyb0ne said:

Cheers - if you sand/file the bare wire, then texture it with one of GW's texture paints - I would say the crackle one and the one with little sand grains in it - I think it would look really interesting...

If you put smaller branches or even lichen directly on the wire without anything else you could get a nice vine effect, kind of like the bean stalk from Jack and the Bean stalk.

9 hours ago, Willyb0ne said:

Comments and critique's welcome as ever... any questions are welcome also...

My fear is that a Marut will absolutely dominate that board.  You're going to need some wider and taller los blocking elements to make the table playable.

2 hours ago, Icchan said:

My fear is that a Marut will absolutely dominate that board.  You're going to need some wider and taller los blocking elements to make the table playable.

Like the tree bark blocks in the left top corner of last photos?

6 minutes ago, Mob of Blondes said:

Like the tree bark blocks in the left top corner of last photos?

That's a start, more is needed.

3 hours ago, Icchan said:

That's a start, more is needed.

There are only one plateau and 3 trees plus those blocks, all half done... more of everything is needed. As test parts, project seems to be going OK.

21 hours ago, Icchan said:

I've harboured this fear from the outset...

Board will be as thus...

MDF base, styrofoam tile allowing the digging down to create a river at a lower level, so ground level is this tile.

With multiple large mounds covered in medium and small elements/trees - like large buildings but instead of stairs and walkways you can run all through them and up and down...

and more 'scatter' terrain randomly applied each game like bushes, fallen tree's/logs/branches, tree stumps etc...

So plenty of LOS blocking elements, less as you get higher...

There has been some talk of a Nimbus like effect of some areas of the forest to represent the literal heat and energy of the plant and animal life within the forest.... 

Marut will be deadly wherever it go's... but there will be LOS blocking terrain a plenty... my Yaogat's look forward to that confrontation though! Ltnt Panzerfausty with his peepy techy four eyes on!

It swings both ways though - if you have any MSV profiles they'll have as easy a time shooting the Marut as well. I trust this game can actually hold up to all manner of situations... but it may require a different approach to list building and tactics than we have got used to... I'm aiming to do that with this board a bit...

At the front of my mind are - Cautious movement, Suppressive Fire, Multi Terrain, Sapper... I'm thinking of creating the board to maximise these kind's of Jungle Warfare type vibes...

16 hours ago, Mob of Blondes said:

There are only one plateau and 3 trees plus those blocks, all half done... more of everything is needed. As test parts, project seems to be going OK.

Thanks, I've got A LOT of trees to make haven't I?:side:

Here are some rough ideas for rules for this board when used for games of Infinity,

Ground level will include path areas where movement is normal, but this will be a very limited path with areas of Forest terrain like bushes etc along it. I will also make 'path blockages' to be used for a scenario I'm putting together called 'Pathfinders' that will be destroyable by Engineers and D-Charges...

Much of the board will be mounds as pictured, a mound being an area of Low Visibility and Saturation Zone (-3 to BS/Discover rolls, -1 Burst). If LOS crosses two of these Low Visibility and Saturation Zone mounds, then combined they are considered Poor Visibility and High Saturation Zones (-6 to BS/Discover Rolls, -2 Burst),

• 1 - Should I add a third layer to this creating a further level of Saturation creating -3 Burst (with minimum B1) but still -6 to BS/Discover rolls? Maybe exempting AP and K1 Ammo?

There will be a river that is a layer lower than ground level that will extend probably in a rough 'r' shape from one boar edge to another and roughly halfway into the centre - this will be another 'quick' rout along with the pathway, that Multiterrain/Aquatic Terrain troops could exploit, with only the combo of Camo + Aquatic terrain (whether acquired via Multiterrain or not?) AND Cautious movement NOT revealing Camo/TO Markers...

• 2 - Thoughts/Feedback/Critique demanded here! 

Within Mounds and on areas of the ground floor, Tree's, fallen Branches, Roots, bushes and 'path blockages' will create much opportunity for the use of Cautious Movement, 

• 3 - I'm thinking of having some areas throughout the board where if a model go's Prone out of LOS of any other model, they gain the Limited Camouflage skill until they Move in any way including Cautious Movement... what do you guy's and gal's think? Terrible idea? If used sparingly and in one deployment zone I could see SO many tatical possibilities for Minelayer's etc... but am I adding too many rules or with a few games will it all feel fairly intuitive do you think...?

The harsher edges of the Mounds can be traversed by using the Climb Skill (thus climbing up a 'level') with the Mountain Terrain Skill treating this like normal terrain... when approaching a Mound, if a model uses Cautious Movement, that model remains out of LOS as the trooper moves 'staying low' to avoid popping up above the Mound... so a Climb Skill followed by a Cautious Movement Skill would get a model up onto the next 'level' and into base contact with the next 'level' Mound...

• 4 - Thoughts? 

More soon - I'll have the first Medium Tree/Medium Mound painted soon to show.

Ps I've numbered my questions so you don't have to paste a load of text every time...

Mate, I think you and I have had exactly the same idea and seen the same material. Weird. Yours is looking great so far.  The difference is that I'm bracking up los with large rock pilers. I won't post a picture here out of respect for your work. 

Have you ever test played your terrain rules? They sound realy good for an outdoor terrain - i've just started a jungle terrain and noticed that the standard rules don't cover all the details for such boards 

Looking good so far!

Couple suggestions for you:

One is bigass trees.  I'm talking Endor/Olympic National Park/California Redwood big.  The kind you make starting with a paper towel tube, and then add big roots to give models places to hide next to the trunk.

A second idea is to have places in the smaller trees where a 25mm base can actually stand easily, say, where two big-ish branches come out flat.