Tamrielo

Skynet Interdiction Returns (First tournament of ITS 2016)

17 posts in this topic

A great write-up!

As a very minor quibble, I don't believe the IntelCom Card would work with only a Netrod in the ZO because the Netrod isn't a trooper.

6 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

A great write-up!

As a very minor quibble, I don't believe the IntelCom Card would work with only a Netrod in the ZO because the Netrod isn't a trooper.

I honestly have no idea how that would work. Thankfully, it didn't come up all day, though Netrods *should* be able to contest zones because they are worth points, no? I don't even know with Netrods.

WTB HSN3 with (hopefully) updated AI Beacon and other rules.

edit: Doesn't the Netrod HAVE to count as a trooper, otherwise they could be included in a Combat Group with Posthumans to reach 10 orders? Am I confusing hyper-finicky combat group rules wording with the insanity that is AI Beacon rules again?

They're explicitly mentioned as being worth points for contesting in the Dominate ZO rules, but that doesn't make them troopers. I'll bump it up the chain.

Just now, IJW Wartrader said:

They're explicitly mentioned as being worth points for contesting in the Dominate ZO rules, but that doesn't make them troopers. I'll bump it up the chain.

Netrods drive me to the drink.

Not just you. :( 

Meanwhile, back to the scheduled show after this short diversion...

Excellent writeup - I take it you won the tournament?

I like the focused thinking you display: Identify biggest problem and devise a plan to deal with it. Adjust plan depending on outcomes. 

Thanks for the awesome report, Tamrielo, and congrats on the win. Your round-by-rounds are excellent for learning how to make hard decisions in this game.

Intelcom Supply looks good, and could be especially nasty with AD troops or bikes. I remain skeptical that Interference is as useful for the game as it is crappy for the opponent. Still seems like a total dickmove to use that one, and I'd feel awful about using it on someone who fielded a low-model-count list in a button-pushing scenario.

Nice to see CardKingdom's crowd still having quality tourneys too. What was the turnout? Good to see the Vancouver fellas made it up for this one.

16 hours ago, Tamrielo said:

Netrods drive me to the drink.

ill cheers to that lol.  great game man, really had a blast.  i was happy to finally be on the receiving end of marut first turn.  since im usually the one doing it ;) .  you got it close but daleth was in first group.  didnt matter though.  my biggest mistake was not moving the girls into the main combat group.  that was very stupid of me.  i was honestly quite surprised you moved the marut so far forward, near a naga(which either could have been the hacker or mono which neither is good news for marut) and thamyris marker zone.   let alone i had mk2 hidden.  but really i got lucky first turn that pheonix lived.  it would have been game over at that point anyways if you killed pheonix but it was a better risk to make you bring naga forward for me than having marut just obliterate me.   my whole plan came down to isolation, make you bring out sophie wasting command tokens to do so, possess marut and turn fire on sophie and the rest.  you thinned me out real good though so kudos there as i wasnt just able to do that.   .  also i think i went a little too gun hard on sophie cause she was ticking me off lol.  seriously i never make saves with her!  i really missed my garuda hmg.  i would have thoroughly enjoyed 4 hmg shots into the back of marut.  alas... 

hope you can make it down to portland in march as it would be great to have you pending school shenanigans(ive been there!).

Oh btw the naga did get a hack off you just saved it and obliterated it with zayin.  Took I think 4 isolate attempts to actually succeed. Probably should have just shot marker instead of risking naga *shrugs* good learning experience!

10 hours ago, Savnock said:

Nice to see CardKingdom's crowd still having quality tourneys too. What was the turnout? Good to see the Vancouver fellas made it up for this one.

8 total; would have been 9 but I had to cancel at the last minute due to family health.

50 minutes ago, ToadChild said:

8 total; would have been 9 but I had to cancel at the last minute due to family health.

yea really bummed you couldnt make it man!  see if you and @Tamrielo can carpool down next month(or whenever george runs his next ITS) so you can get your game on!

17 minutes ago, dont panic said:

yea really bummed you couldnt make it man!  see if you and @Tamrielo can carpool down next month(or whenever george runs his next ITS) so you can get your game on!

I can't make it out for your tournament in March, unfortunately.  That's the same weekend as Sakuracon.

Also, I forgot to say - @Tamrielo, thanks for the detailed writeups with turn-by-turn breakdowns.  It's interesting to see not only what happened, but how you thought about it and approached it.

Very nice reports, thanks!

I really like the way you described your priorities in the beginning of each turn. It is very inspiring for future games.

Stellar report as usual, Tam. Love the breakdown of all the tactical decision making (it's why we play the game, no?)

Marut is a pretty difficult target to hack, as hacking targets go at WIP 15 and BTS 9, however, so I'm not surprised you survived hacking barrages all day. That's why I always keep a Shinobu in my back pocket to deal with hard targets. 

Strategos 3 also nullifies the problem of going second, you usually want to go first as a result.

Awesome write up Tamrielo!  I was your round 2 opponent and you hit my list spot on.  Interesting to read about the game from your perspective.  I felt like I made a number of crucial errors early on in that match, and I only really survived as long as I did due to a streak of ridiculous armor saves (seriously, a comical number for my arm 0-1 single wound Nomads).

Error number one was missing the fire lane you were able to capitalize on with your 2nd TR drone that you'd held in reserve, that looked right down at my Tsyklon.  Error two was underestimating the Marut, which I hadn't played against before.  Holy hell.  I should never have tried to active turn hack it... I literally spent my Lt. Order and 6 other orders trying to isolate it, and I probably would have been better off just putting up White Noise, taking care of your TR drone with my Spektr, and then pumping sniper rounds into it from outside LoF. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.  I look forward to a re-match sometime soon!

This is some impressive battle report. As others said the detailed, yet easy to follow, narrative is very interesting to follow. Further it shows the importance of strategy in Infinity. You meticulously work from the starting idéa to have a focused offensive lean through the Marut and then cover for the weaknesses. I especially like the reasoning on the TR bots holding the enemies heads down to allow the Marut to operate unhindered, when you just could've been satisfied going reactive, bringing the mechanics and Hacker defense. Again on the narrative I like the reasoning. Writing I need to do X because Y shows that you have a impressive grasp on the game, which carries through the telling and becomes an eye opener for less experienced players (read me). Great job.

P.s. if you don´t mind I´ll copy your setup for my own Sphinx led SEF :)