Golem2God

60mm Bases?

Question

I was wondering if it would be alright to use 60mm bases instead of 55mm? There are not that many 55mm scenic bases on the market that I like but there are a couple in 60mm. Would an ITS tournament allow this or is it simply not allowed?

23 answers to this question

Officially, it's not allowed, period.

Practically, it depends on the TO.

Officially, no.  That being said there is nothing technically in the rules that says the basing can't overhang, so if you happen to glue a 60mm onto a 55mm you might get better responses. 

Though to be honest if it was me, I'd sand the 60mm with coarse sand paper till it was 1mm or so thin, glue that to the 55, and then sand the edges down flush with the 55mm.  Look at some of the base toppers out there to get a feel for what I am thinking of.

why o why should it be 55mm, it is really difficult to get in denmark

When I had this issue, I just took the base to a belt sander after tracing the proper sized circle onto the bottom of it.

Yeah, I lost a little around the edges, but it's better to lose a tiny, miniscule bit of detail than not use the base at all!

Thank you all for answering my question.

@Wookieegunner Is there a special technique that you used to accomplish this feat?

@Isenblad How bad was it exactly? Noticable in any way?

@Benjamin I agree. It used to be 60mm awhile back. Guess they wanted people to buy bases from them instead.

@Pierzasty Thanks for being straightforward.

27 minutes ago, Golem2God said:

@Benjamin I agree. It used to be 60mm awhile back. Guess they wanted people to buy bases from them instead.

I'm curious what you mean by that. In 2nd Edition the only base sizes were 25mm and 40mm, and then in 3rd they added 55. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an Infinity model with a 60mm base. 

The Maghariba Guard is supplied without a base, and the old ITS rules told you to base it on 80mm or some rough Imperial equivalent. 

If you took into account base extensions for overall footprint, most of them came to about 55mm, too.

Belt sanders work but you have to be careful.  When I've had to do something like this I have glued a piece of coarse sand paper to some scrap would, put it on a flat surface and then rubbed a lot.

@ToadChild If that is the case then I messed up.:side:

@Wookieegunner Thanks I will try that and see how it goes.

@chromedog Where are these base extenders found? This means I could buy 40mm scenic bases and extend them.:D

6 hours ago, Golem2God said:

@chromedog Where are these base extenders found? This means I could buy 40mm scenic bases and extend them.:D

I think customeeple does base extenders. They are nothing more glorious than neon acylic rings. But they work, and given the right aesthetic, work well.

The belt sander method wasn't too bad, but you gotta have a steady hand not to end up taking too much off. Overall loss of 2.5mm around the edge really isn't that big a deal. The suggestion of coarse sandpaper by hand is a good one, but again. you MUST trace the final size you want onto the base itself, to prevent odd shapes or taking too much/little off.

10 hours ago, Golem2God said:

Some of the older models had their foot on a piece that attached to the side of the base.  If you look at the back foot of the Covert Action Uxia you will see what he means.

Yeah, before they moved up to 55mm bases, several of the larger TAGs which didn't really fit onto 40mm bases, had a metal extender piece that was about 15mm long that attached to the base to give the model enough footprint to stand flat.   Since they moved up to 55mm bases, they don't supply these anymore (but if you found old stock, it might come with one still).
Some of the remotes that are now on 55mm bases had extensions on their feet that went onto the OUTSIDE of the 40mm base and did the same (effective base size of 55mm).

I don't know if newer casts of those remotes still do that (mine date back to mid 2nd ed days).

They started packing newer leg casts that lack the foot tabs at the same time they started packing 55 mm bases in the boxes.

Please be careful sanding down resin.  The dust is really bad for you.

14 minutes ago, ToadChild said:

"Wear a respirator and sand it outside, then vacuum your clothes before you come in" bad.  Toxic and a mechanical hazard like asbestos or quartz dust.

Thank you all for your comments. I was hoping some store out in the internet had Infinity base extenders for 40mm bases. I don't want to sand a 60mm scenic base anyway. Might ruin a detail or two. I try to convert some 40mm and see how that goes.

1 hour ago, Golem2God said:

Thank you all for your comments. I was hoping some store out in the internet had Infinity base extenders for 40mm bases. I don't want to sand a 60mm scenic base anyway. Might ruin a detail or two. I try to convert some 40mm and see how that goes.

If it helps, I made a base extender out of a standard 55mm base. I cut the middle out of a standard 55mm base, large enough to fit around a 40mm scenic base. I then stuck the 55mm base around the scenic base a modelled some detail on top of it so it didn't look extended. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to show you.

I did the same with a 50mm Base, had much less detail to add.

14 hours ago, ToadChild said:

They started packing newer leg casts that lack the foot tabs at the same time they started packing 55 mm bases in the boxes.

ANY dust is bad to breathe.   Srsly, you don't want to breathe ANY dust. 
Some are just a lot worse than others (silicates, coal dust, asbestos).

If you are sanding resin, WET SANDING is your friend.  If using a linisher, you should be wearing a dust mask anyway (and eye protection).
I've got a 3-in-one bench linisher, scroll saw and disc sander (I learned how to use one in primary school - dad was a plater/polisher) and the squirty bottle of water is kept near to it for good reasons. 

13 minutes ago, chromedog said:

ANY dust is bad to breathe.   Srsly, you don't want to breathe ANY dust. 
Some are just a lot worse than others (silicates, coal dust, asbestos).

[...]

Would you recommend a mask when filing Infinity minis (getting rid of mold lines, flash, etc)?

Hand filing kicks up the dust a lot less than power tools, so it's less important. It's still not a terrible idea, but the filings will be fairly large, heavy, and slow moving. Resin dust off a belt sander will be more like a cloud that hangs in the air for a while. 

Thank you again to all for the health and safety info on sanding resin.

@ningu & @Zen79 Both very good ideas that I will try to test in the future.

20 minutes ago, Golem2God said:

@ningu & @Zen79 Both very good ideas that I will try to test in the future.

I've got some photos of my bases. I went with the base extension because I'd just finished my Gorgos when the bases sizes changed, and I didn't want to rebase it, so the base extension was built around a finished model (I wouldn't advise doing it this way).

Finished base:

temporary_zpskxgx5t8d.jpg

Underside of the base so you can get a good idea of how it fits together (sorry for the poor quality photo)

temporary_zpsptujgwhm.jpg

I can put together a tutorial if you wish to see the process in more detail.

@ningu Nah, it's okay. Thanks for uploading a photo for me. A tutorial would be really nice. I bet alot of people would be glad if you posted it.