Monni

Monni's Morat Task Force - Vanilla CA "Trash heap challenge", WIP

93 posts in this topic

These are fantastic. Really interesting conversions and so well done, from the subtle changes to the Daturazi to the more pronounced changes for the medic (which I love!). Can't wait to see them pained :)

And welcome to the forums!

And we have a new Sculpey wizard here, looking forward to see these evil monkeys painted and all nice :D

Ooooooooooh!!!! I love these guys.

Thanks fellas :)

I will keep you posted on my progress.

btw, are the overhanging rocks on the bases a problem? I like the visual, but does it somehow make them unplayable in tournaments? Hope not...

- M

Wow, awesome conversions! Can't wait to see them painted! :D

As for the rocks: I think you might run into trouble when positioning the miniatures close to cover/terrain, so... all the time. Just be nice about it and make sure your opponent understands where your miniature is actually facing/standing when you have to turn it to face a wall as it otherwise won't get it to fit. ;)

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Nice work on the conversions - I'm also looking forward to seeing what you do with the paint. 

I really like the colour scheme you have come up with. It's the second desert brown Morat I've seen recently and it's looks good on them.

Look forward to seeing this force progress. 

Nice conversions too!

I like the scheme except for how light the skin tone is. A more brown tone or darker red I think would work better. Otherwise, its a very nice and unique scheme!

I love the sculpting and the painting, so I'm really eager to see this army progress. I'm a big fan of the smooth blending and chiaroscuro on the backpack. Gold is a great choice for the armour.

I'd recommend getting some silhouette markers if you're going to build up the bases, it'll help clarify LoF issues that will come up.

Wow, those are very crisp, clean colors! Great job! Now I'm looking forward to see your conversions painted even more! :)

10 hours ago, Monni said:

I come from a long period of wwII and smaller scales painted in a bit more realistic style, so I decided that with this game I am going to have some fun with bright schemes and tasty colours I have not been able to use in ages.

Freaking right! I see people straining to make their colors all realistic an stuff, but i say bring on the bright schemes! The look and feel of this game is based on anime, which only has a tenuous link with real life, so it's the right time to play with outrageous colors and amazing schemes that you wouldn't see in this world. Hell, my army color scheme (semipermanently in progress, i should stop procrastinating and finish them) is mainly bright magenta and purple :D

Thanks for the feedback and positive vibes!

Silhouette templates - check.

The color theory behind the color of the face is that a vivid small detail of a complimentary color (in this case violet vs. yellow, but I wanted to have some resemblance towards the game worlds own red skinned morats, so I went with a reddish purple instead) works extremely well when combined with a muted, larger area of its complimentary color (the muted yellow armour)

Also, working in smaller scale has thought me well about light. The smaller the detail, the lighter you want to do it if you want to show it. In standard "gaming"light a dark face will loose its structure quite easily, so I would always do facial features very light but with sudden dark lines to really have the face pop even in a non-optimal light.

I am a bit worried by the skin tone when I need to paint the Daturazis, but I will probably try and balance the quite possibly over powering skin tone with some tattoos. Have not yet decided exactly how tough.

This week will be quite silent (maybe) as I have pretty much lost the ability to focus my eyesight due to very extreme eye problem. My left eye was totally swollen shut this morning and right now even if I can open it a little, I still look like I have been in a fistfight. Not to worry tough. Got a scrip from a doctor and all kinds of drugs from the pharma. Hopefully I am able to continue on these next week when I come back from a short trip to London.

Sorry bout the long post 😆 and no pictures. I will try and make up for it in the near future.

- M

I hope your eyes aren't a persistent problem for you. I've always been concerned with my own sight failing for close up work.

Great work with the Morat, really well painted :thumb-up:.

Get well soon! I like what you're saying about light tones on small details. I was thinking that maybe the teal type colour you have going on around the knee pads and shoulders and underneath the face could be a bit more bombastic - the yellow is muted, as you say, and the hair gun and bags are all kind of dark/neutral, then you have this 'pow' violet on the end of the gun which looks great, and I wonder if a more intense blue would also look great for a more 'tasty' scheme. Fantastically painted though - really like it.

Usually I don't like yellow armours, but it looks fantastic here. Nicely muted and contrasts well with the purples.

5 hours ago, Monni said:

Hope it was worth the wait,

It was

Wow, perfectly smooth finish. They look amazing.

I'm curious why you made the beard and braids the same colour as the face on the far right though. It's a bit hard to read.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Is it hard to read? Damn...I was afraid of that. The hair on Kornak Gazarot was a bit problematic - I did not want to do it in white, since I allready would have a white shoulder plate and I felt that it would also mix in with the piping in the joints, especially since the gun arm has coils creeping all the way up the shoulder. Also I wanted to separate him from the others with a racial trait. My initial choice was bright red, but it just felt too flat. I did not want to break the pallette even further, so I decided to lighten the hair - even tough I used different colours on the hair than on the face, the result was extremely similar. However, I felt that it really needed those light colours to pop, and after some trial and error I felt that even if it was pretty much the same tones than with the face, it kind of made sense. Maybe I stared at it too much (I could replicate it in the dark now) and that might have clouded my judgement.