Nurse

MotoTronica & Hepheastus scenery packs?

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

What are people's opinions on the MotoTronica and Hephaestus scenery packs?

Will most likely get 2no. of one of them, can't decide which though.

Mostly interested in using the mats but more buildings doesn't do any harm :)

They're very functional pieces of terrain, especially for the price. I have enough that I can make a table composed entirely of them to bring around to demo games (2 Hephaestus and 2 Novajo sets). Very lightweight, a good size, and they look decent enough.

It'd be nice if they came in some other sizes, but considering they're designed to use the unit boxes as support, that'd be a little difficult. Still, I love these scenery sets..My personal favourite is the Novajo Outpost for the greenery and more realistic design, then the Hephaestus because it looks very futuristic.

My only suggestion would be to grab a couple other pieces of scatter terrain to go along with it, because nothing but shipping containers gets boring. Some low walls, dumpsters, garbage bins, and the like can really spice up the table.

thanks for the reply.

and how about the paper (?) mats themselves?

how do they hold up?

They also look good, but the size is a little weird. They're 24" x 34", so even 2 of them laid next to each other don't cover a full table. They also don't sit particularly flat if you fold them for storage/transport. As far as durability though, they're made of good quality poster paper, I've been using them for several months and they haven't ripped or faded yet.

But if it's primarily the mat you're interested in, I'd recommend buying one of the other mats available (the kind made out of mouse-pad material, such as F.A.T.mat or similar). It'll look better, cover the table, and last longer.

They're pretty decent. I use the moto.tronica terrain pack from icestorm, and supplemented with another one, and I place those on a table with some archways and buildings and they make for very well set up terrain.

Here's a pro tip: Don't throw out the boxes your minis come in, as they fit inside those buildings super snugly and help reinforce the terrain, for, in the end, it is paper and paper occasionally rips and wears. 

cheers for the input.

I guess it's probably best to save the cash to get a proper mat (rolling it away would be important)

I've used both the Icestorm and USAriadna Scenery packs in the past and they're definitely decent. You can easily add other papercraft terrain pieces to them and it fits quite well. If you want to see them mixed, you can check out my Flamestrike Battle Report, there's pictures.

Now, as @Philamilapeed has pointed out, the sizes are really weird. Perfect for me, as my dining table isn't 4' wide, anyway, so the fit pretty well on it, and we played with lower points, but I've bought wooden boards to extend the table's size since that batrep was made and won't be using those mats much longer. Instead, I'll also get myself some of those sexy mousepad-mats. There are a LOT of options for mousepad-material-mats out there these days. There's the official Designed for Infinity mats from Micro Art Studio (including one with the Icestorm/Moto.tronica design), there's the F.A.T. Mats from Frontline Gaming, and several other companies also sell some. Antenocitis have shown previews of their upcoming mat on their Facebook page. They call it "modular", but sadly, it isn't really for anyone who plays infinity on 4x4 tables. Still a pretty mat, mind you! I also think both Zen Terrain and Systema are currently working on one each, to fit their ranges of terrain.

Keep in mind that if you buy any of the "Urban" mats, you'll be locked into one layout of streets, so the Icestorm Mat from MAS has the big advantage of being more free in that regard. Also, many mats don't have diagonal streets, but straight ones, This might lead to firelanes going straight from one deployment zone to the other. Not everybody likes that. There is one (possible) solution, though. MAS have recently finished a Kickstarter for a set of 12"x12" mat tiles, 16 of which, put together, will build one modular gaming mat for you. And the streets are mostly diagonal, too! If the cutting is precise enough on those and they fit well, that might end up being the ultimate solution for urban Infinity tables! :D

Still, if you'll actually use the paper terrain that comes with the scenery packs, and even if it's just to spice up your tables or to have an easily transportable table for demo games, etc., then I think the three scenery packs are all worth the (small) money they cost!

This is one of our staple boards built by @Daboarder

He built inserts to stack the units on top of one another, and mounted the mats on 2 MDF sheets

probs not the best layout shown here, but you get the idea :)

5705c4fa93c59_2.11Table4Aleph.thumb.JPG.

Should be noted thats 4 terrain packs in there but you probably could do it with three

If you search for daboarder's how to's in the arcology section you should find my tutorial for that table duly showed

2 hours ago, Daboarder said:

If you search for daboarder's how to's in the arcology section you should find my tutorial for that table duly showed

thanks a lot for the input guys.

that board looks great!