Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Derfeonidas

"Falling" into CC with Super-Jump

Question

Situation:

1 Fusilier is at the base of a building 6" tall and facing the wrong way.

1 Antipode is on the roof of the building- 3" from the edge of the building (and therefore hidden from view).

It is the Antipode's active turn.  

1 order is spent- 1st short skill- move 3" to the edge of the building and then plunges 6" into base-to-base contact with the Fusilier.  2nd short skill- CC attack.

Is this a legal move?

15 answers to this question

I don't see an issue with it. What are you doubting?

5 minutes ago, Penemue said:

I don't see an issue with it. What are you doubting?

There was some discussion at the gaming club when this situation occurred.

I thought it was a legal move but there was a question about whether "falling" counted as a valid move into CC.  The fall effectively carried the Antipode 3" + 6"- which was greater than it's first short skill MOV 6".

EDIT: And I guess the the other query was whether "falling" with super-jump was an act of "jumping".

About your "falling":

"Fall Damage and Super-Jump
A trooper with Super-Jump only suffers Fall Damage on the portion of his fall that exceeds the sum of both his MOV values in inches. In other words, subtract the user’s total MOV value from his fall distance to calculate Fall Damage. For example, a Super-Jumper with MOV 4-4 who leaps down from the rooftop of a 10-inch building suffers Fall Damage for the last 2 inches (10 -4 -4 = 2). By Falling Damage rules (see page 43), he must make an ARM Roll to overcome a Damage 10 hit." (page 93)

So, an Antipode must actually fall a really long distance to take falling damage.

---

About your legal moves, it definitely is. Engaging in CC doesn't require a "special" move* in Infinity, as it does in other games. If you're in b2b, you're in CC.

(*except in ARO)

<IJW wartrader invalidated this post>

As Penemue already pointed out, a trooper with Super-Jump gets to fall their combined MOV value without taking any falling damage at all. So an Antipode can fall a full 12" safely, even if it doesn't use any part of it's Jump move to travel downwards. 

In other words, an Antipode on the edge of a roof can Jump 6" down into mid-air, fall a further 12" safely and still get a second Short Skill in the Order.

So, in your case you declared Jump as the first short skill (superjump allows that) travelling 3 inches horizontally and 3 inches vertically. Then you fall to the ground since your base is not sustained. You take no damage as with superjump you subtract  the sum of MOV values (12" )to any fall distance.

Then you declare your second short skill: CC attack.

All legal by the rules..and pretty cinematic.

13 hours ago, Darkvortex87 said:

So, in your case you declared Jump as the first short skill (superjump allows that) travelling 3 inches horizontally and 3 inches vertically. Then you fall to the ground since your base is not sustained. You take no damage as with superjump you subtract  the sum of MOV values (12" )to any fall distance.

Then you declare your second short skill: CC attack.

All legal by the rules..and pretty cinematic.

Gotta watch out for dem drop antipodes.

They are nasty customers.

Something similar. If an Antipode wants to move into b2b with a model on a rooftop, but there isn't enough space, is he just screwed?

I guess so...if you can't put the base fully on the rooftop then you can't move there IIRC...

Correct, it's even mentioned again in the Jump skill  - if the landing point isn't big enough to fully support the base, the trooper falls from that point.

23 hours ago, Derfeonidas said:

Situation:

1 Fusilier is at the base of a building 6" tall and facing the wrong way.

1 Antipode is on the roof of the building- 3" from the edge of the building (and therefore hidden from view).

It is the Antipode's active turn.  

1 order is spent- 1st short skill- move 3" to the edge of the building and then plunges 6" into base-to-base contact with the Fusilier.  2nd short skill- CC attack.

Is this a legal move?

This is beyond legal! This is so f*****ing cinematic it should be mandatory in all your games :P 

17 minutes ago, tinfish said:

Which ARO's would the victims get?

The usual ones I would think.

Bs attack if they have line of fire as antipode drops. 

Dodge

CC

Deployable item placement if they have line of fire. 

And so on. 

1 hour ago, ZombieCrab said:

Deployable item placement if they have line of fire. 

Placing a mine in the exact spot your opponent's unit aims for should be made legal :evil:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0