Cothel

Nimbus Plus Grenade Tactics

74 posts in this topic

So now Tohaa have Nimbus Plus Grenades on most of the Sakiel profiles and a Clipsos profile. I'm suspecting that the Clipsos profile will not see much play, but Sakiels are popular and Nimbus Plus Grenades will be in many lists. What is the point of a Nimbus Pus Grenade when we have access to Eclipse Smoke Grenades? Are there any tactics that anyone has thought of to use the Nimbus Plus Grenades? I've been wondering if they could be used in conjunction with the Sukeul's HMG or K1 Sniper profile to hit things at a range while giving them extreme penalties to return fire? This might just be an occasional trick to force a unit to hide completely to allow another of your units to advance freely. I'd like to see what others think about this new tool. Is it worth using? Would it allow unconventional forward moving Triads that didn't include a Makaul?

For those who don't know what Nimbus Plus does:

Nimbus Plus Special Ammunition is a more advanced and potent application of Nimbus technology.

Category

Exotic.

Effects

Now bear in mind that Poor Visibility Zone MODs apply to all skills that need LoF, such as Dodge.

Order 1, the Sakiel in the Triad moves towards the corner and throws a couple of Nimbus Plus Grenades covering the area.

Order 2, the Makaul in the Triad moves up to the corner and flames someone (or if there are two visible troopers in range, flames both of them twice) and watches them suffer the indecision of shooting back at -9 before range MODs (-6 for Nimbus Plus, -3 for cover) or Dodging on -6.

For even more amusement, try it on a Fireteam of 3+ troopers and watch them realise that even if they shoot back, they've lost their Burst bonus due to the Saturation Zone...

I like to think of them more as our way to combat against our faction's extremely shooty MSV units (looking at you PanO) and larger link teams. As IJW pointed out though, they are an EXCELLENT pair when combined with any type of DTW. Oh buddy, talk about being a real jerk!

They might not always be the best choice or idea, but if implemented correctly they could be extremely painful for your opponent.

A Nimbus Clipsos can easily use the Grenades to force -12 engagements, even against MSV2+ units.  Nimbus Clipsos + Combi/Nanopulser Igao can be a brutal midfield tag team.

Triangulated fire should ignore poor vis, right? If so, Aelis might be able to get some favourable exchanges of fire with otherwise difficult to deal with targets, like camo snipers at long range. 

That makes me wonder what kind of fun could be had with Nimbus Plus Grenades running along side a Gorgos with Pulzar Chaksa, or even just  Kerail with two Surdas?

Yep. @REND in my area already likes doing that with Cranes and 'basic' Nimbus Grenades. You lose a shot to the Saturation Zone most of the time, but it's definitely worth a try.

And yes, horrific paired with an Igao. -3 Camo -3 Poor Visibility -3 i-Kohl -3 MA L3 for -15 before range bands. Most troopers won't be able to shoot back even in +3 range.

1 minute ago, Cothel said:

That makes me wonder what kind of fun could be had with Nimbus Plus Grenades running along side a Gorgos with Pulzar Chaksa, or even just  Kerail with two Surdas?

I had my eyes set on that sweet, sweet Kerail and friends. Use the Clipso Nimbus Plus grenadier to infiltrate and Hidden Deploy until the Kerail and his posse get close enough, then reveal the Clipso tossing the 'nade, then move in the cats for the kill. Sounds like fun to me :)

Nimbus plus looks legit. Its pretty much swarm grenades without the "must target an enemy" clause which made them worthless.

Oh, and something about damage they apparently did. But seriously, its about fucking time that we are able to use them like smoke grenades 

i tought it could be interesting to use the combo with triangulate fire but it takes maybe too much (one to launch grenade, one to get in place (ennemy may dodge) and then triangulate fire)

On 12/05/2016, 22:21:31, IJW Wartrader said:

And yes, horrific paired with an Igao. -3 Camo -3 Poor Visibility -3 i-Kohl -3 MA L3 for -15 before range bands. Most troopers won't be able to shoot back even in +3 range.

How does this work... sorry newbie here.

I thought I-khol and Martial arts lvl 3 only worked in close combat, not when they are shooting at you?? 

They require base contact* to occur at some point during the Order. So if the Igao moves into combat with a Move as the first part of the Order, the opponent reacts with BS Attack and the Igao then declares CC Attack, all the Opponent's MODs for any CC Special Skills the Igao uses are going to apply to the opponent's Face to Face Roll.

As long as you reach base contact, it doesn't matter what Skill the opponent declares in a Face to Face, just that it's a Face to Face Roll - so the MODs will apply to an opponent's CC Attack, Dodge, BS Attack etc.

If the Igao moves and doesn't reach base contact, MODs from CC Special Skills aren't going to apply.

*With an exception for i-Kohl and Engage.

FFS..... Been playing that all wrong then, suppose that's what happens when you learn the game from someone and hope they are telling you all. 

To be fair, it's something that changed drastically between editions, so the other player may have been getting mixed up with old and new rules.

Offensive Nimbus for me is about three things:

Negating burst bonus of fireteams or suppression firing models
Shooting template weapons through it
Putting < 12 BS models at 0 BS (eg with Sukuel, Nimbus, cover, and sniping out models who are in their -3 range, again good for shooting supfire models if you can get into their -3 range with a Sukuel/etc in cover, or a Clipsos in cover in their 0 range even)

We're quite well positioned to shoot  through our own nimbus at an enemy fireteam/suppression model that *can* return fire and take the hit to burst because we're probably at +1B anyway, or just reduce them to 0 BS so they get no return shot. In an edition where fireteams just became more of a thing, and at least in my meta people use suppressive fire extensively, the various uses of Nimbus make them quite cool (the second because template weapons are generally good against links, if that wasnt obvious). This obviously applies to single models too.

I don't generally like things that are this order/setup intensive, though we are the most order efficient army in the game so this cancels things out a bit.

At least they're better than Swarm.

On 13/05/2016, 14:17:16, Ruru said:

i tought it could be interesting to use the combo with triangulate fire but it takes maybe too much (one to launch grenade, one to get in place (ennemy may dodge) and then triangulate fire)

Not that bad if your triangulating model can already see the enemy. You just Nimbus with a model from out of LoS and then go.

On 5/12/2016, 5:01:34, IJW Wartrader said:

Now bear in mind that Poor Visibility Zone MODs apply to all skills that need LoF, such as Dodge.

Order 1, the Sakiel in the Triad moves towards the corner and throws a couple of Nimbus Plus Grenades covering the area.

Order 2, the Makaul in the Triad moves up to the corner and flames someone (or if there are two visible troopers in range, flames both of them twice) and watches them suffer the indecision of shooting back at -9 before range MODs (-6 for Nimbus Plus, -3 for cover) or Dodging on -6.

For even more amusement, try it on a Fireteam of 3+ troopers and watch them realise that even if they shoot back, they've lost their Burst bonus due to the Saturation Zone...

How does he flame twice isn't the Makaul's burst dropped by the saturation zone as well? 

@Moonova yeah the burst of the flamethrower would be affected. 

Not if you flame at two different targets. They're two burst 1 shots so are not reduced.

For example, the same thing happens if you split your burst with a combi rifle onto 3 separate targets all through a saturation zone. You still get B 1+1+1. Saturation zones reduce burst per target, not the burst of the weapon.

24 minutes ago, Calmdown said:

Not if you flame at two different targets. They're two burst 1 shots so are not reduced.

For example, the same thing happens if you split your burst with a combi rifle onto 3 separate targets all through a saturation zone. You still get B 1+1+1. Saturation zones reduce burst per target, not the burst of the weapon.

Oh yeah nice catch. Didn't even think that thanks mate. 

3 hours ago, Moonova said:

How does he flame twice isn't the Makaul's burst dropped by the saturation zone as well? 

On 12 May 2016 22:01:34, IJW Wartrader said:

(or if there are two visible troopers in range, flames both of them twice)

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has had any luck with the Nimbus Plus Grenades? I haven't had a chance to try using them. I keep forgetting to bring them.

i am waiting swarm grenades to turn back to not use them also.