Nalim

The Joy of Invading Savage Planets: A Guide to the Onyx Contact Force

142 posts in this topic

i like the minis alot and i am trying to love onyx still.

there are some fundamental deficiencies and these make me worried and thnking onyx not finished at all.

isnt it almost impossible to place a dcharge. there is no body with dcharge except the large based mechanoid ? At least if fraacta has it ?

no doc and no engineer except mechanoid ? you can say that it is like pano maybe but.. still unsure.

pano doesnt have smoke too, i can understand this as a design choice.

some minis like suryats, hard to find a place in the army. you choose either unidrons and rodoks. ( well there is no other option sadly. :( ) and after then you are putting some essential things. and there is no space left for you. meanwhile dont complain about these links. they are damn strong, i see it. still i believe a 3rd option is needed, as toolbox link. with dcharge,doctors, engineers etc.

when can we hear about some new troops ? do we have to wait for the next book ? or can some onyx units show up before that ?

I've been using Onyx almost exclusively since HSN3 came out, all I really feel is lacking is smoke - and like you say that appears to be an intentional design choice.

Yes, D-Charges are only on Doctor Worm, but he's fast and Onyx is hard-hitting enough that it's usually not an issue to clear a path if you absolutely have to do Sabotage as a Classified (for example if it's a pick in Highly Classified). I find Experimental Drug to be a bigger issue most of the time, due to not running many troopers with W instead of STR.

As far as Engineers and Doctors go, Doctor Worm is the only Doctor in the whole of Combined Army not just Onyx, and there aren't a lot of other Engineers either - just the Kurgat and Caliban.

Although I've not used them myself, Suryats do pretty well in missions like Rescue where you can get them across the table quickly as a Duo and due to Jungle Terrain (Rodoks are stuck on 2-2 MOV and Unidrons can't Synch).

Yeah DrWorm is sometimes a bit required in Onyx, as the only engineer. I found his speed to be very useful, and when you have to cross a line of fire, then you can Move Carefully.
He's a bit easier to play in MAF where you can smoke his path, but it's still manageable in Onyx. Don't really know in SEF.

I think it's quite general about Onyx : either you have small troops and you have to be careful about them, so indirect path are helpfull to survive, or you have a TAG and you don't really care. And sometimes both !

Can2 xeodrons Harris together without a Samaritan? Harris is up to 3 so can exist with 2 models right? Can it start with 2?

If I have a Samaritan assault hacker in an ONYX force but without Xeodrons, but my opponent is also playing ONYX and is using a full harris of Samaritan and Xeodrons, what happens if I kill his Samaritan first, break his haris link, then possess both Xeodrons with my own Samaritan.... can I spend a command token to form a link with the possessed Xeodrons? ;)

10 hours ago, Phototoxin said:

Can2 xeodrons Harris together without a Samaritan? Harris is up to 3 so can exist with 2 models right? Can it start with 2?

No, the Haris specifies one Samaratin and two Xeodrons.

9 hours ago, Vaulsc said:

If I have a Samaritan assault hacker in an ONYX force but without Xeodrons, but my opponent is also playing ONYX and is using a full harris of Samaritan and Xeodrons, what happens if I kill his Samaritan first, break his haris link, then possess both Xeodrons with my own Samaritan.... can I spend a command token to form a link with the possessed Xeodrons? ;)

Hahaha! Probably not. If you Sepsitorize some dudes, I'd say you could do that.

Edit: No... See below. :(

Possessed is a Null state, the Xeodrons would instantly leave the Fireteam. 

Any ideas on when the nexus operative hits?

To quote Bostria from Interplanetary last year, much like the CA KHD, "Before the next book"

We've not even seen a render yet, just concept art.

He did however show that concept art in the rumble / adepticon seminars and said most of that stuff would be out by Gencon...

4 hours ago, Phototoxin said:

Any ideas on when the nexus operative hits?

When you make a success dice roll against your opponent with your Nexus Miniature.

daduntsh.gif

So soon™ then. Lol. Cheers guys, I've been out of the loop.

On 13.6.2016 at 11:23 PM, Nalim said:

Onyx has two Spec Ops options, both priced at 14 points: The Corax and the Treitak. Both are priced at 14 points, but since the Corax’ Seed-Embryo skill is more of a hindrance than an asset, you should always take the Treitak option. The Treitak is (just like the Corax) not linkable with any of your troops which somehow limits the roles it can perform on the battlefield. Spec Ops can be equipped in a multitude of ways, so I’ll just concentrate in the 12xp loadouts I find most useful:

• Chain of Command, Doctor, Engineer: This one enables you to take an aggressive Lieutenant or Hacker Lieutenant if you expect enemy KHDs, essentially increasing your order pool by 1 (since you can safely spend that Lieutenant Order). It also makes the Med-Tech obsolete (unless you play Highly Classified, the only mission where having D-Charges can make or break your game).
  • Chain of Command, Hacker, Engineer: Using this profile will give you the more important benefit of your Med-Tech, allowing you to leave him at home. It also enables your Lieutenant to be active without risking a LoL situation.  Take this profile if you don’t have the SWC or points to spare to cram enough hackers in your list.

Hi, I was reading this great guide as I am starting to play Onyx since a few weeks (collecting... actually I only played two battles...).

I could not select any option for "Chain of command" for our spec-ops in the Infinity army. Have the rules been changed or do I miss something? Do we have then any other option for a chain of command in our sectorial?

49 minutes ago, Bosshog said:

Hi, I was reading this great guide as I am starting to play Onyx since a few weeks (collecting... actually I only played two battles...).

I could not select any option for "Chain of command" for our spec-ops in the Infinity army. Have the rules been changed or do I miss something? Do we have then any other option for a chain of command in our sectorial?

I have no problem to select Chain of Command from the list of the skills available to spec-ops. Did you try to scroll down? Chain of command is in the second half of the list and without scrolling down you won't see it in the list.

Hey... do you really think I am so dumm I cannot scroll down a list of skills??

Are you saying I am so stupid I did not see that the list can be scrolled down??

Well you´re right... I did not see the list can be scrolled... :_crying__rvmp_by_bad_blood: It hurts...

Sorry guys, just forget these last couple of posts...