Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gekko

Rare Earth Magnets for bases

13 posts in this topic

Heya.

I'm going to need to transport some minis a few miles and I'm wondering what sort of magnets you folks use in the bottom of the bases? I'm thinking of magnetizing my morats bases (all infantry, no tags) to stick to a baking sheet so I don't chip them in transport.

I use three 3x2mm magnets for most of my infantry and that does the trick, but if you want to be really sure, use four. The main thing is to make sure they're as flush as possible with the bottom of the base, even a fraction of a mm air gap will reduce the force a lot.

Hmm, 3 eh? I saw that the bases have a little round gap which I assume is for a 5mm? Where do you get yours from :D

I bought various sized rare earth magnets, and put a blob of green stuff on the bottom of the bases to push the magnets into. That way they ended up perfectly flush. 

I also bought a metal toolbox to carry them around... works like a charm.

I only used one magnet per model though.

I bought pre cut magnetised inserts for 25mm bases the simply attach under the Base. They are pre glued so you really need to press them hard on the Base and you are done. Less work and work super fast. 98dc4a774cfaeb93ea4d0024c8be5a0e.jpg

And

6aec904c6014edf22d4ac8b350d32dd3.jpg

I paid them 9€ for 70 of them on eBay.

I hope it helps!

Vanja

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Ps the photos need to be rotated 90 degrees!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Those aren't very strong normally. I would do some tests with a "fake miniature" (base and equivalent weight) and some good shaking.

Yeah, actual neodymium magnets will be much stronger. Gekko - yes, I get my magnets via eBay. There is a slot for a 5mm magnet but I find several slightly smaller ones is more secure as it prevents the model from rotating.

The points of Mob and IJW are totally valid these magnets are definitely not strong as the neodym ones. I must say though that for now they served their purpose perfectly. I haven't used my mini box as a maracas (so no stress test) but for now they stay in place also when I walk fast. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use 6mm x 3mm. One for a 25mm base, two for 40mm, and three or four for larger. 

On 6/14/2016 at 11:26 PM, schoon said:

I use 6mm x 3mm. One for a 25mm base, two for 40mm, and three or four for larger. 

I acquired myself a few of these bad boys off ebay.

I completely forgot about the "one for a 25mm base" thing and tried to put two on the base. Result: I superglued a magnet to the base, then a second magnet to THAT magnet... and then my thumb to the second magnet.

Life is suffering. :P

I can suggest to avoid magnets on the bases, and use instead magnetic sheet or neodymium on the tray you use for transportation.

That way you avoid that during gameplay your miniature will stick to other magnetized miniatures on the table,while moving them, possibly damaging paint of both models.(especially when CCing or on uneven terrain)

Also, some table are scratchbuilt and contains metal pieces that your miniature will stick to, possibly moving objects around.

Metal under the base don't create any problem, and even increase the weight of the base, preventing tipping.

And cheaper, just the box, not every miniature in your collection.

Interesting rethinking of the method. :thumb-up:

13 hours ago, Darkvortex87 said:

I can suggest to avoid magnets on the bases, and use instead magnetic sheet or neodymium on the tray you use for transportation.

That way you avoid that during gameplay your miniature will stick to other magnetized miniatures on the table,while moving them, possibly damaging paint of both models.(especially when CCing or on uneven terrain)

Also, some table are scratchbuilt and contains metal pieces that your miniature will stick to, possibly moving objects around.

Metal under the base don't create any problem, and even increase the weight of the base, preventing tipping.

Can confirm. I am using Warsenals magnetic markers and have magnetised my bases. It's not a big enough deal to go back and redo everything but can be annoying. Though I used much too strong magnets to begin with. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0