macfergusson

Camo moving through enemy?

Question

Hey guys, I've been out of the game for some time due to real life getting hectic. Trying to get back into it now and figure out how all the changes impact things!

Had a question come up today that seemed really basic, but couldn't find a definite answer.

If a camo marker is moving on its Active Turn, can it move through/past an enemy figure or marker?

I know if a figure is moving, it can't choose to go base to base with a marker. If a marker is moving, it CAN choose to go base to base with a figure.

If you have a figure moving through a marker, and the camo troop does not ARO, nothing happens (was this example only in 2nd ed?). If a camo marker is moving through a figure, are they forced to go base to base into an engaged state?

7 answers to this question

You can never go through an enemy silhouette, whether they or you are in marker state. You have to go around or jump over.

7 hours ago, macfergusson said:

Hey guys, I've been out of the game for some time due to real life getting hectic. Trying to get back into it now and figure out how all the changes impact things!

Had a question come up today that seemed really basic, but couldn't find a definite answer.

If a camo marker is moving on its Active Turn, can it move through/past an enemy figure or marker?

From the cancellation clauses for camouflaged:

*  The Camouflaged trooper enters base to base contact with a model.

So you declare a move through/past an enemy figure and when you move into base contact the camouflaged state is cancelled.  Now you're in base contact and the rest of your move cancels due to being engaged.  Because it's movement instead of teleportation.  After all, you generate AROs along the entire movement path.  :)

As far as moving through an enemy marker goes, it's not permitted to move into base contact with a marker:

*  Troopers cannot enter base to base contact with a Camouflage Marker.

so there's no question concerning what happens would happen if you tried to move through one.  For the other marker states:

1.  Holoechoes are treated as if they were models.

2.  Impersonation says the same thing that Camouflage does about prohibiting base contact.

Your trooper in the camouflaged state is still a trooper.

So is a camo marker in front of a narrow gate completely body blocking it for all enemies, even though they are also unable to attack the marker? Discover+Shoot would be the only option remaining at that point?

11 minutes ago, macfergusson said:

So is a camo marker in front of a narrow gate completely body blocking it for all enemies, even though they are also unable to attack the marker? Discover+Shoot would be the only option remaining at that point?

Seems like a corollary of what's been said. :)

Just now, Penemue said:

Seems like a corollary of what's been said. :)

Yeah, which is why I wanted to be really clear about it. This seems counter intuitive to what I would expect, and completely opposite to how I recall this situation being played, so I don't know if I'm remembering something old, or just flat out remembering something wrong.

3 hours ago, macfergusson said:

There's also Intuitive Attack, Sensor, and other options.  :S

And I'm pretty sure I know which 2nd edition FAQ you're thinking of, as far as clogging a corridor with markers:

"

Can a troop do a "Charge" (to engage in Close Combat) with a Camouflage or TO Marker? Can Markers avoid the troops even they were located at a point where any movement passes over them? (door / narrower corridor, as example)

You can not get into base contact with a Camouflage or TO Marker.

If the Marker is obstructing the passage through a doorway or narrow corridor, then the figures will go through the Marker by ignoring it. As mentioned above, the Special Skill not only includes technology but also the knowledge and ability to be out of sight. The figure, who is not exactly there, could have jumped to the frame of the door or floor temporally or just have moved to avoid colliding with the enemies.

"

They kept half of those rules. 

19 hours ago, solkan said:

There's also Intuitive Attack, Sensor, and other options.  :S

And I'm pretty sure I know which 2nd edition FAQ you're thinking of, as far as clogging a corridor with markers:

"

Can a troop do a "Charge" (to engage in Close Combat) with a Camouflage or TO Marker? Can Markers avoid the troops even they were located at a point where any movement passes over them? (door / narrower corridor, as example)

You can not get into base contact with a Camouflage or TO Marker.

If the Marker is obstructing the passage through a doorway or narrow corridor, then the figures will go through the Marker by ignoring it. As mentioned above, the Special Skill not only includes technology but also the knowledge and ability to be out of sight. The figure, who is not exactly there, could have jumped to the frame of the door or floor temporally or just have moved to avoid colliding with the enemies.

"

They kept half of those rules. 

Dang, that's it. Now I know where I was getting messed up. Alrighty, thanks guys!