Saint

Saint tries to stop F#$%ing things up, an ongoing project.

64 posts in this topic

So I've been in the general miniatures hobby for about four years at this point and I've always had an interesting relationship with the painting aspect of it. I've always gotten compliments on my color choices (I'll post some of my Guard if anyone's curious) but the execution has been... well you saw the title. But recently i got some lessons and tips from a guy in my local area and things have been really improving so in an effort not to get lazy and backslide I'm starting this mostly for myself but hey some people might like to see what I've been doing.

without further ado, here's the most recent  stuff:

005_zpsaek4gkx9.jpg

004_zpsklcnvdxz.jpg

003_zpsrobcty8b.jpg

Finally, got everything fixed. 

You cannot hyperlink to images on you hard drive. If the forum software still has problems with uploading, I'd recommend using an image hoster like photobucket.

2 minutes ago, kernspalt said:

You cannot hyperlink to images on you hard drive. If the forum software still has problems with uploading, I'd recommend using an image hoster like photobucket.

usually I'd just upload from my hard drive but thats not working the hyperlink was a shot in the dark, I'll look at Photobucket thanks. 

Uploading did not work for me either in the last days, I think something is broken with the forum software.

right now that I've dealt with that, Thanks @kernspalt for the photo bucket idea, now to take and upload more pictures. 

@Golem2God, I think you expressed intrest in seeing my models in the past. 

So the Tohaa are my newest, and probably the best looking, here's everything so far.

A couple of the entire army:

Tohaa%20001_zpsl4kvsjbu.jpg

Tohaa%20003_zpsdlgpg9l6.jpg

Tohaa%20002_zpshusmdukw.jpg

Tohaa%20004_zpslgyzjb2n.jpg

And now some of the units I'm proud of:

Tohaa%20009_zpsrjg0sttb.jpg

Tohaa%20005_zpss1qvn8rv.jpg

Tohaa%20007_zpsivhxyxge.jpg

Tohaa%20010_zpsu1pemebf.jpg

Tohaa%20006_zpswsyb4qqh.jpg

Tohaa%20008_zpsyjj2fa3o.jpg

Tohaa%20011_zps6akxrcma.jpg

I'll be posting my USAriadna and FRRM in the next couple of days but I'm gonna warn ya we're going back in time here and most of'em aren't pretty. 

1 hour ago, Saint said:

@Golem2God, I think you expressed intrest in seeing my models in the past. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Ok, now the images work. Quite a force you have there already!

Maybe one thing first: Some of your photos are really out of focus, we can't see anything in those. With some cameras, getting the focus right is a bit random, but I would just throw out anything that's that blurry.

On the paint jobs: The color scheme is a nice start, but there is a lot of variation in how you do your areas. I'll just pick out the second image from your Tohaa post, because I think these are some of your best and you can see everything nicely there. Some areas look nice, for example the gun and the legs of the Kaeltar in the middle, I think you used a wash there? On othere parts like the face, however, I think there is some definition missing, and since faces are always a focus point of a miniature, it really pays off to invest some extra work there.
What I would recommend to improve your painting would be some select highlighting and blacklining, since basic shading is already done by your wash. So I'd take a fine brush, some slightly thinned paint (use a palette to mix, don't take it straight out of the pot), mix up a slightly brighter color of your green and mauve colors, and try to pick out some edges and raised areas without letting the paint run into the depths of the mini. For "blacklining", you use some black or very dark brown, thin that on your palette with a lot of water to a very liquid consistency, and then carefully use a small brush to follow all the creases and recesses of your miniature where one part (e.g. the cloak) meets another (e.g.the armor). If you do it right, you get a small dark line seperating the two, which will make everything much cleaner and crisper to look at.

Also, I would do something with your bases. The easiest thing is probably sanding, you just spread some white glue on the top of the base (but not the edge), dip the base in fine sand, and let it dry completely. Then you can paint it in some not too bright color (for example grey) and drybrush it a bit to get a textured ground, which will immediately make your minis look much more finished.

@kernspalt

Yeah the focus on the camera got spotty towards the end, couldn't really figure out why. :S

as a quick rule of thumb all the ones with a white base are before I got my painting tips, and before i discovered priming white was a bad idea so those're gonna be a little poorer quality overall. 

Most of my stuff has by this point had a wash or two put on it though as you can see from the Gao-Tarsos some heavier than others. as for the faces, I'll take that under advisement but i take remarkable poor care of my brushes so anything requiring a finer brush i tend to avoid. 

The bases are a sticking point due to the color scheme but I've been giving it some thought, I'll talk it through with some of the locals see what they think.

I also undercoat with black, I think that makes painting much easier because you can have some basic blacklining if you leave a small gap between painted areas. The drawback is that it's harder to get some crisp and bright colors that way, my miniatures always come out a bit too dark. :_aww__rvmp_by_bad_blood:

The problem with your brushes sounds like something that can be fixed with a bit of practice, and from my experience, a well maintained brush tip will make painting not only easier, but also much more enjoyable. I paint about half the time with a size 2 brush, and when it is in good shape it has a tip that's fine enough to paint faces and fingers, but as a start I'd recommend using a size 1 and 0.

Some basic tips:

-If you have a nice brush, use it only for what it is made for: Keep it in a pointed shape, and with no more than a little bit of paint at the tip. Avoid actions that soak the whole brush with paint, like dipping it deeply into paint pots or vigourous mixing of paints, because this will get paint particles into the base of the brush hairs where they dry and splay the hairs. I'd really recommend using a palette (could be an old dish or something, a wet palette is also great but a bit more advanced), then transferring your paint from the pot onto that with either a larger old brush or just a toothpick or some other piece of wood. Then, you can mix your paints to you desired color and consistency (adding a bit of water is never wrong), take your good brush, dip it into water, wipe so that no big drops are clinging to it, put it into shape, and take up the paint with the tip. This will not only keep your brush in good shape, but also give you the perfect method to control your paint consistency so that it gives a nice coat but does not dry up on the brush when you paint fine details.
When I write it this reads like it takes ages, but if you are used to it, it's only a matter of seconds. :)

-Also, avoid anything that splays the brush hairs of your good brush. Don't dab it on the bottom of your water pot, and don't use it for drybrushing.

-It's also a good thing to properly clean your brushes after painting, but I'll have to admit I forget that often enough... At least swirl them thoroughly thruogh your waterpot, never let paint dry on them, and form them to a nice tip when putting them away. When you have only a few brushes, it's easiest to put the little plastic cap back on that they come with, if you have accumulated some more there are nice and cheap plastic tubes for brushes where you can store everything together.

So the USAriadna, I think i can fix these guys a bit, barring other occurrences that's actually my plan for tomorrow. but here they are right now:

USAriadna 002.JPG

USAriadna 007.JPGUSAriadna 008.JPG

And the stuff I'm actually proud of, did these guys like a week ago:

USAriadna%20004_zps7ya2fcra.jpg

USAriadna 005.JPGUSAriadna 006.JPG

so yeah while they might not be great when I'm done tomorrow they will be better which isn't nothing. 

You are showing a great deal of improvement on the Hardcase and Ranger. Overall the look a bit dark. Did you do a wash over the whole mini and call it done? Washes are a great step to create depth but should be followed up by some highlighting. With these two you did a lot better of making sure all the areas got covered and with a little bit of highlighting would really pop. 

You are improving and thats all you can ask for. Keep them coming! 

1 minute ago, Azraelsburden said:

You are showing a great deal of improvement on the Hardcase and Ranger. Overall the look a bit dark. Did you do a wash over the whole mini and call it done? Washes are a great step to create depth but should be followed up by some highlighting. With these two you did a lot better of making sure all the areas got covered and with a little bit of highlighting would really pop. 

You are improving and thats all you can ask for. Keep them coming! 

Thank you, and yes the washing is the last thing i do (Agrax Earthshade for the curious) highlighting isn't something i'm working on right now. Though I have tried it on a few models, I'll get some close ups of the Anaconda when I get a picture of my Merovingians up I know i put a good deal of work into her.  and besides after the I paint the Kerail's beasts I'll be out of stuff to paint and i think that means its the end of the world or something so I'll see if i can work up the motivation to give it a go. 

There are many methods to highlighting and even a simple dry brush of the color before the wash would help out a lot. There is a lot to learn! I feel if im not learning a little something on each mini then Im not doing it right. The community here is pretty supportive and will give lots of tips and references. 

Well if you dont get more to paint you can always strip and repaint some of the ones you dont like!! 

Just now, Azraelsburden said:

Well if you dont get more to paint you can always strip and repaint some of the ones you dont like!! 

Nope, never, not a chance in Hell, I'd rather but everything all over again. bad as the paint might be I already put enough work into these things I'm not starting over again. 

11 minutes ago, Saint said:

Nope, never, not a chance in Hell, I'd rather but everything all over again. bad as the paint might be I already put enough work into these things I'm not starting over again. 

I can definitely understand that, I have several minis that ive painted over the years that I will not put any more effort into.  Was just throwing it out there as a option if you didnt have any new minis on the way in ;p

Improvements where made:

improvments%20where%20made%20012_zpsxkcs

improvments%20where%20made%20007_zpscro7

improvments%20where%20made%20008_zpszszi

improvments%20where%20made%20009_zps9jfr

improvments%20where%20made%20005_zpscgb8

improvments%20where%20made%20011_zpsnfdm

improvments%20where%20made%20013_zpswnyn

Rawr:

improvments%20where%20made%20001_zps3ale

improvments%20where%20made%20003_zpsnhb7

Rangers look a lot better now and the Kerail's all set and done, All I've got left is the Unknown Ranger, then I've got some Mavericks and a Foxtrot with a shotgun that needs buying. Though I might wait till the Mauraders come out, get them in one fell swoop.  

@Saint I like your USA color scheme.:thumb-up:

Can you tell me how you created the scheme? I would like to incorporate some test models for my USA force.

4 hours ago, Golem2God said:

@Saint I like your USA color scheme.:thumb-up:

Can you tell me how you created the scheme? I would like to incorporate some test models for my USA force.

the theme is that all of my Ariadna are going to be a combination of Urban and the default uniforms CB gives their faction, or as i call it "Urban-ish". The Merovingians are "Urban-Urban" with grays, blacks, and muted blues. the Kazaks (I only have a scout so far) will be "Woodland-Urban", so throwing in some greens, and maybe browns, and my Rangers are "Desert-Urban" a mixture of colors from traditional desert camouflages and urban grays,mostly dark grays. Caledonians are "Urban-get fucked I'm not painting a goddamned tartan"

For the Rangers I also specifically coated the tans and browns in 'Seraphim Sepia' and the gray in 'Nuln Oil'. You need anything more than that or are you good? 

2 hours ago, Saint said:

Caledonians are "Urban-get fucked I'm not painting a goddamned tartan"

Ha! I wonder how many Scots-in-Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace forces wind up at this sort of paint job because painting tartan can be a lot of work?

Incidentially, just in case anyone is minded to attempt tartan on their Scots-In-Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace:

2 hours ago, Saint said:

For the Rangers I also specifically coated the tans and browns in 'Seraphim Sepia' and the gray in 'Nuln Oil'. You need anything more than that or are you good?

Seems good to me. Thanks for the tip and for answering my question. Hope your Ariadna forces turn out looking swell.

So I've got more things to paint...002_zpspj6dvynv.jpg

001_zpsvy49p9lz.jpg

America! AMERICAAA!!

Got the Unknown Ranger done

008_zpsyiqwxwlb.jpg

006_zpsyxrdy20p.jpg

007_zpseqof64y4.jpg

005_zpsycv2ugsd.jpg

Hanging with his buddy Clint

010_zpsbhwrrtjg.jpg

And while not mine, these are the first models my brother ever painted, and he's only gotten better

011_zps3ilhruaq.jpg

014_zps9akuky3r.jpg

He even free handed an Ariadnan flag on all of them, not that you can see that too well, focus was fucky again. 

012_zpssnwyx6xz.jpg

You may want to try focusing on the minis and not the background ;)

4 hours ago, jherazob said:

You may want to try focusing on the minis and not the background ;)

I do, it sometimes just decides that the close in focus is gonna be all blurry for a bit, or that the place i touch to focus is gonna wander a little bit to where the background is and stay there. the cameras more then ten years old i think its going senile.