EpicDiceFail

Blackjacks? What Blackjacks?

233 posts in this topic

Not gonna lie... I slightly wet my pants...

But I guess I will convert the shoulder mounted to handheld and switch it with the SMG.

Overall I like how it turned out. The only thing that irks me is the shoulder mounted primary, it looks terrible. I really hope the HMG will be handheld, and the DEP will be shoulder mounted.

Wildly disagree with anyone and everyone who dislikes the shoulder mount.

It looks awesome and is wildly more practical than something that large just holding it like an infantryman.

I'm going to agree, those blackjacks look awesome. 'merica! Can you smell the freedom!

Could have still had it mounted underslung on the arm like the smg was.  

And if can move well enough to draw a knife from a back scabbard, he can fight like a normal infantryman.

I totally called the shoulder mount. Thing looks awesome.

27 minutes ago, Kreslack said:

Could have still had it mounted underslung on the arm like the smg was.  

It's a sniper rifle, not a suppressive fire weapon. Dollars to donuts when it fires the sniper rifle, the little "feet guards" above it would lock it down into place. Add to it that a weapon like that would benefit more from being able to poke over cover or the like(in terms of "real world thinking") than simply being held in place...and it's a good idea.

Hell, I'm surprised the SMG wasn't shoulder mounted as well.

27 minutes ago, Kreslack said:

And if can move well enough to draw a knife from a back scabbard, he can fight like a normal infantryman.

The pack on its back looks to have quick release snaps so it can be dropped, and the scabbard is attached to the pack.

I'll agree with you that it shouldn't have a knife that's "held"(suggested awhile ago that the arms should have serrated blades or 'pop out' blades ala the Katarn Commando Armor from Republic Commando), but comparing the ability to draw a knife from a back scabbard to the ability to hold and wield a sniper rifle alongside of holding a SMG at the same time is just silly.

I am actually not surprised the SMG is not shoulder mounted, wouldn't fit its primary purpose. Think of it like a tank where the sniper rifle is its main gun, the SMG is more meant for point defense like a coaxial or hull mounted machine gun. You would want it on a lower, more maneuverable platform to target fast targets while you can have a steadier platform for the larger caliber weapon. Besides this way he can swivel the primary weapon while staying in cover better. That is my two cents at least.

22 hours ago, Vita Nova said:

If you were wondering what they look like, here's some blurry screencaps:

wExEBhx.jpg

Like the concept art, but boy is that bulky.  Was expecting something a little sleeker, more like an Azrail or Al-Badass.  This blackjack honestly looks like something from about the 1970s.

22 hours ago, Vita Nova said:

zC62h9G.jpg

This is the Blackjack (in the middle) next to an Azra'il and a Yan Huo.

Damn near the size of a Gecko!

Unpopular opinion: Not really a fan. It does capture the bulky and low tech elements rather well, but I just don't like the aesthetic. I'll probably keep converting Azra'ils to look like the big old T2 cannon upthread. These just look sort of goofy like they are all flailing about.

52 minutes ago, Sergei_Simonov said:

Unpopular opinion: Not really a fan. It does capture the bulky and low tech elements rather well, but I just don't like the aesthetic. I'll probably keep converting Azra'ils to look like the big old T2 cannon upthread. These just look sort of goofy like they are all flailing about.

That's the random machete I think.

Remove the machete and it looks like he's laying down fire on a unit while engaging something beyond it at the same time.

I guess the knife is held like that to make a stronger Avatar reference. 

On rifle, I agree that weapon with such a long barrel would be terrible to maneuver with if it was attached under arm or something, but right now it looks like an oversized regular rifle glued to a model by the grip. Kinda weird.

Still better than "nondescript tube sticking out of shoulder" design of Yu Jing though.

1 hour ago, Kanluwen said:

That's the random machete I think.

Remove the machete and it looks like he's laying down fire on a unit while engaging something beyond it at the same time.

Not just the machete-- but I should probably withhold judgement until we see a finished paint job with details. It looks good in the unit dossier, but the splayed indistinct blob looks like a deformed frog. Hopefully just a bad angle.

Blackjacks should look even more low tech than the Haqqislam HI so the super bulkyness makes perfect sense.

The balance looks skewed from my viewpoint.  I'd like to see that shoulder mounted monstrosity moved elsewhere, like under the left arm, stored on the pack board, or just dropped onto the base as wreckage.  Why didn't they do the mounting point somewhat further up the body of the rifle to give it counterbalance?

I think an SMG unit on both arms would go a little way in helping balance out the model.

5 hours ago, infyrana said:

Why didn't they do the mounting point somewhat further up the body of the rifle to give it counterbalance?

Likely because, if the Blackjack existed IRL, it wouldn't need it. It has the whole rest of the suit to act as counter balance.

What I find really cool is that the way it's mounted, it looks like the Sniper Rifle is actually modeled so it looks like it can detach. The blackjack's shoulder mount could actually hold multiple types of weapons, and if necessary you could remove the rifle and use it manually. It's not a purpose built T2 sniper rifle for the Blackjack, it's the T2 Sniper Rifle that the Cateran uses.

It actually looks a lot like the mounts that some armed ground drones have.

On 08/01/2017 at 11:55 AM, Kreslack said:

just checked. Your right Golem. The Panzerjagers weren't discontinued they were just entirely out of stock for a while.

Alkasyn those Drone Muls are awesome.

Thanks! Only problem with them might be the silhouette size. But that can be fixed with some magnets and flight stands:)

Wow, I saw the seminar on youtube and I love everyone's reaction to the blackjack reveal. The Avatar is a close second when it comes to hype.

17 hours ago, grey templar said:

Likely because, if the Blackjack existed IRL, it wouldn't need it. It has the whole rest of the suit to act as counter balance.

What I find really cool is that the way it's mounted, it looks like the Sniper Rifle is actually modeled so it looks like it can detach. The blackjack's shoulder mount could actually hold multiple types of weapons, and if necessary you could remove the rifle and use it manually. It's not a purpose built T2 sniper rifle for the Blackjack, it's the T2 Sniper Rifle that the Cateran uses.

It actually looks a lot like the mounts that some armed ground drones have.

That's a cool thought.

Whether it was done intentionally by CB or no, it makes sense that a force that's both limited in manufacturing capability and also highly utilitarian would want interchangeable weapons.  I'm sure Blackjack pilots, or units operating in tandem with Blackjacks, would love being able to scavenge a functional weapon from the suit if it's damaged beyond combat capability.  Having the suit destroyed but the pilot survive, only to find he's restricted to using his sidearm and nothing else, sounds like it would be a problem.  Similarly, fabricating/machining custom weaponry for Blackjacks sounds like it would be a pain.  Much easier to just adapt it to utilize existing weaponry.  

Well I'm throwing money at it! It looks rad, and like everyone else here, been waiting for ages!

It doesn't look like a hard conversion for the sniper rifle to be underslung on the knife arm, or for the knife arm to become a shield, or for the sniper to be mounted a little lower. In any case, I really do love the look (and the profile), even for Vanilla Ariadna.

22 hours ago, Barakiel said:

That's a cool thought.

Whether it was done intentionally by CB or no, it makes sense that a force that's both limited in manufacturing capability and also highly utilitarian would want interchangeable weapons.  I'm sure Blackjack pilots, or units operating in tandem with Blackjacks, would love being able to scavenge a functional weapon from the suit if it's damaged beyond combat capability.  Having the suit destroyed but the pilot survive, only to find he's restricted to using his sidearm and nothing else, sounds like it would be a problem.  Similarly, fabricating/machining custom weaponry for Blackjacks sounds like it would be a pain.  Much easier to just adapt it to utilize existing weaponry.  

Maybe that's why his BS drops when he takes a wound. He's had to take his main weapon off it's mount and use it manually.

898541_md-Blackjack%20Dossier.jpg898540_md-Blackjack%20render.jpg898542_md-Blackjack%20Model.jpg

Have some good pics. I like that the Chest Mines actually say "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on them.

3 hours ago, Kanluwen said:

Have some good pics. I like that the Chest Mines actually say "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on them.

Good, Americans need that warning :)

And this may be unpopular opinion, but I think the whole thing is a bit of a hot mess.   I'll wait to see a painted version before finalizing my opinion, but at this stage it is a big disappointment.

Edit: I figured out what bugs me about it.  Many of the single elements in the model are fine, but none of them seem to go together.   Fluff-wise it should be a bit rough around the edges, but it seems like they had a million ideas while sculpting it and decided to go with every idea instead of one cohesive idea.  It's quite the camel.

for how much stuff he has on his back I'm surprised he doesn't have baggage. XD

was so happy to see that video go up and get a closer look at the blackjacks. It was a real relief to see all the detail and especially the unpainted model. It looks like I can strip off everything I dislike on him. Gonna be a fun conversion project. (I just got the rifles in, Barrett .50's)

picking up three is gonna make my wallet cry. Still October can't come fast enough.