Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Klerych

Yet another new player army question

54 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've recently gotten into Infinity - haven't had an opportunity to play a real game yet because due to availability issues I still have to wait for some models for my Nomads, so I have no experience whatsoever. What I have, turns out, are some Ariadna models from a couple years ago when I apparently bought them as proxies or placeholder models and seeing how there's a few of them, I might just as well ask here whether they (or some of them at least) would make a decent start for an army.

My latest raid into my overburdened miniatures cabinet revealed that I have the following:

- S.A.S. with chain rifle
- S.A.S. with boarding shotgun
- 112, Emergency Service doctor
- Moblot sapper with HMG (gotta love the guy that carries the pile of mud with him everywhere)

- Caledonian Mormaer with T2 rifle (the Van Damme mid-combat tactical split guy)

- Loup Garou sniper

- 3 old Line Kazaks (same as those from starter set)

- 3 Kazak Veterans with rifle

I also have the Unknown Ranger mini that came with my recent order. I have noticed that the 112 doctor appears in quite a few lists, so at least ONE is not useless! I think that at some point I will get me an army of USAriadna based on the rangers similar to the one from this article as I really like the look of it: http://magicznapodroz.blog.pl/2016/02/04/bostrias-challenge-usariadna-ranger-force/ but that will come later, when I'm done with my Nomads and Yu Jing. Do you have any recommendations on what to do to make at least some of those models work? It doesn't have to be all of them, though.

Overall I must admit that I really dig the feel of Ariadna army. Always hearing that they're the underdogs and whatnot I thought of them like they're some lame bunch, but the fantastic models combined with what I saw on battle reports with people playing Ariadna made it look like it's them who are the hunters and the other armies have to try hard to avoid becoming the prey. :D Although that might be just that particular list and the fact that the player's playstyle was very aggressive. :D

Ariadna is very much the "hunt or be hunted" faction. With all of those Infiltrators, camo, and butt-kicking models, it really forces your opponent to play somewhat more defensively than they normally would. You can play either aggressively or defensively as Ariadna too, which is pretty sweet. I know sometimes I like to be more aggressive or more defensive with my lists, so I build accordingly.

Anyway, back to the lists! I'd probably suggest doing some light to start with, so here's my suggestion:

logo_301.png Ariadna
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

orden_regular.png7  
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Lieutenant Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK (X Visor) T2 Rifle, Light Flamethrower / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 38)
logo_11.pngS.A.S. Chain Rifle, Grenades / Assault Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 22)
logo_21.pngLOUP-GAROU Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
logo_25.pngCALEDONIAN MORMAER AP HMG / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 42)

2.5 SWC | 150 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Proxy the Mormaer as the one with the AP HMG and you've got a pretty solid list that's not too overbearing! You'll learn a lot of the basic mechanics of the game and some of Ariadna's cool perks without too much complexity.

If you're feeling bold and want to go big or go home, try this:

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png8  
logo_29.png112 Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 12)
logo_52.pngUNKNOWN RANGER (Chain of Command) Rifle / Heavy Pistol, T2 CCW, Knife. (0 | 41)
logo_11.pngS.A.S. Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 25)
logo_11.pngS.A.S. Chain Rifle, Grenades / Assault Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 22)
logo_25.pngCALEDONIAN MORMAER Lieutenant (X Visor) T2 Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 33)
logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK AP HMG / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 47)
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

2 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

It's a little light on special weapons (trying to avoid proxying as much as possible and you lack a lot of good heavy weapons), but it's still pretty gross for 200 points!

Cheers for the quick and helpful reply, mate! Didn't expect to get one so soon. :D 

I like those lists very much, both look fun to play. :) Out of pure curiosity - you mentioned that I lack some good heavy options, is there anything you would recommend to get? Either to flesh those lists out and/or to fill them out to 300 points and be able to play competitively.

I do have a soft spot for the amazing new Tankhunter model, but I don't want my aesthetic preferences to affect your advice, because some of the stuff I like might be sub-par and having taught over ten wargaming systems to people in my life, I know it's never fun to tell that to new players!

13 minutes ago, Klerych said:

Cheers for the quick and helpful reply, mate! Didn't expect to get one so soon. :D 

I like those lists very much, both look fun to play. :) Out of pure curiosity - you mentioned that I lack some good heavy options, is there anything you would recommend to get? Either to flesh those lists out and/or to fill them out to 300 points and be able to play competitively.

I do have a soft spot for the amazing new Tankhunter model, but I don't want my aesthetic preferences to affect your advice, because some of the stuff I like might be sub-par and having taught over ten wargaming systems to people in my life, I know it's never fun to tell that to new players!

No problem mate! I was already running around and answering questions, so I figured I'd drop in and help out ;) 

True, I probably should have elaborated, but I wasn't sure how curious you were about starting Ariadna, so I left on a vague note. My apologies. The Loup Sniper and Moblot Sapper are kind of weird for heavy weapons: the Loup Sniper's great for Fireteams, but kind of weak on their own for their price and equipment. The Moblot Sapper HMG's expensive for what he brings and HMGs are not that great as defensive weapons and Sapper is the epitome of a defensive skill. I would personally recommend these for heavy weapon options:

• Spetsnaz HMG - my favorite killer and a beast of a man. Nothing makes my opponents more fearful than one of these...well, mabye two of them.
  • Grunts - cheap, effective and you've only mentioned wanting to do USARF at some point. Grunt sniper is probably one of the best snipers in the game, so good I bought two of them and I HATE using duplicate models
  • Marauders - USARF and Forward Deployment's nice. Not too expensive and makes for good hunters and reactive pieces
  • Veteran Kazak AP HMG - More bullets, the better. One of my favorite troops in the whole game with one of my favorite guns in the whole game. I'm obviously biased though ;)
  • Tankhunters - AP HMG's kind of overshadowed by the Spetsnaz, but the Autocannon is a dream and the Missile Launcher's fun as a reactive piece.

Those are just a few of them, but Ariadna's ripe with heavy weapons, so it's more of what you like best :) The above are definitely my favorites though and make it into most, if not all, lists I make. Spetsnaz and Tankhunters are definitely worth it. I love them. They've both earned themselves a lot of infamy in my local group.

You know, the weird thing is, most things in Infinity are pretty good, if they're current and you work hard enough at it. The problem with a lot of the French models (Moblot, Loup) are that they're a bit outdated and waiting an update. That's the only reason why they don't function as well as the list I put together above. Other than that, in Infinity, almost everything is viable, so it really comes down to aesthetics. Some loadouts might get overshadowed, but never whole troops, if they're current (everything besides Shasvastii in Combined Army and the French in Ariadna).

I'm gonna chip right in here before Pride of Rodina gets to grip with a more detailed answer! ;)

If you like Kazak's, might I recommend the Spetsnaz model with HMG, I read that two can be particularly potent.  There's also the portable Autocannon Tankhunter which, if you dislike the old models or really like the new, you could probably get away with proxying it using the new Tankhunter HMG mini.  The Autocannon apparently one of the better ARO pieces Ariadna has access to if I'm correct.  But you might not get away with proxying it at a tournie, without checking first that is, since a model already exists (and is actually quite funky).

There's an interesting thread discussing the Antipodes at the moment, could be worth a read to see if that catches your eye.  Going on from this, there's a lot of threads and info on Vanilla Ariadna army lists using 10 models (for limited insertion lists) which could be of interest to keep model purchases reduced, especially if you're also looking to branch into USARF.  I sorta went the other way - I went to collect USARF following the Unknown Ranger's mini and Pride of Rodina has skewed me towards Kazaks for Spetsnaz and Tankhunters!

**seconds out.. Pride of Rodina beat me to it!

Hahaha, I have yet to see a forum for a game where people race to reply to help someone like here. :D And so helpful at that! You guys are awesome!

2 hours ago, Pride of Rodina said:

No problem mate! I was already running around and answering questions, so I figured I'd drop in and help out ;) 

True, I probably should have elaborated, but I wasn't sure how curious you were about starting Ariadna, so I left on a vague note. My apologies. [...]

I would personally recommend these for heavy weapon options:

• Spetsnaz HMG - my favorite killer and a beast of a man. Nothing makes my opponents more fearful than one of these...well, mabye two of them.
  • Grunts - cheap, effective and you've only mentioned wanting to do USARF at some point. Grunt sniper is probably one of the best snipers in the game, so good I bought two of them and I HATE using duplicate models
  • Marauders - USARF and Forward Deployment's nice. Not too expensive and makes for good hunters and reactive pieces
  • Veteran Kazak AP HMG - More bullets, the better. One of my favorite troops in the whole game with one of my favorite guns in the whole game. I'm obviously biased though ;)
  • Tankhunters - AP HMG's kind of overshadowed by the Spetsnaz, but the Autocannon is a dream and the Missile Launcher's fun as a reactive piece.

No worries, man, it was perfectly safe of you to assume. :D

As for the suggestions - I really, really love the models of Spetsnaz HMG and Tankhunter, both are on my "to buy regardless" list. :D  Given that you recommend so many USARF models, maybe I should just branch out that way? I can't afford a full USARF army yet, but I could slowly start building up that way. What'd be good purchases to gradually switch over by expanding those lists?

I'm sorry to ask so much, but I honestly haven't had the opportunity to learn army building in Infinity yet, so I don't know even the basics of it (aside from going for 10 orders and the need to have some doctor, a lieutenant and preferably some hard hitter that'll carry the game for me like the Su Jian). What'd be the best purchases to firstly flesh it out (can also replace a model or two altogether, I already bought those miniatures years ago, so I won't cry over not using one or two at all, like the Moblot, Loup and/or Mormaer - I got their value back already :D) and secondly what'd be the perfect next purchases to turn it into USARF later when I know the game well enough to try the team mechanics?

2 hours ago, infyrana said:

There's also the portable Autocannon Tankhunter which, if you dislike the old models or really like the new, you could probably get away with proxying it using the new Tankhunter HMG mini.  The Autocannon apparently one of the better ARO pieces Ariadna has access to if I'm correct.  But you might not get away with proxying it at a tournie, without checking first that is, since a model already exists (and is actually quite funky).

There's an interesting thread discussing the Antipodes at the moment, could be worth a read to see if that catches your eye.  Going on from this, there's a lot of threads and info on Vanilla Ariadna army lists using 10 models (for limited insertion lists) which could be of interest to keep model purchases reduced, especially if you're also looking to branch into USARF.  I sorta went the other way - I went to collect USARF following the Unknown Ranger's mini and Pride of Rodina has skewed me towards Kazaks for Spetsnaz and Tankhunters!

Hm. Honestly it's not an issue with tourneys for me, because for that I'll have Nomads and Yu Jing, Ariadna is more for fun, but then if I like it enough, I might try converting the Tankhunter's HMG into an autocannon if that happens before he gets a model. :)

As for Antipodes... for some reason I can't get myself to want to field those. I mean... those models are fantastic, I will most likely end up buying one sooner or later even if just for the sake of having them, but I still have some barriers when it comes to some models' design in Infinity (looking at you, Crazy Koalas and... well, basically anything of that size; and men in skirts; and people in weird poses like the Mormaer or HMG Vet Kazak) and the thought of giant military werewolves with machetes is a cheesy one to me. :D

I really hope that sooner or later there will be a Kazak sectorial with good sculpts for the line dudes, because those two amazing HMG models (Spetsnaz and Tankhunter) are not allowed in USARF. Sadness!

I know they are horrendous to find, but the Chasseurs are such an awesome piece. If you can't or don't want to get them, Fox-Trot are second best at waiting mid-field in a mine field... 

To convert your Vanilla over to USARF, there really isn't that much choice to go with for having to work out where to start.  If you were to add up all the existing models that are specifically USARF (not including 112/dozer/wardriver/traktors etc), you're only looking at less than 500 points.  Some 90 points of that comes from the new Maverick box and the second Devil Dog.  Depending on what you want to use or collect from Vanilla that crosses over will help decide how much of the USARF stuff you will need.

I think that the Army Box is a great deal for USARF, more so if you can acquire it cheap and with the Ltd Ed Maverick model (the one standing up which you will likely want to proxy for a Foxtrot).  I know you're not keen on the Devil Dog type models (going from your antipode comments), but they are actually very cheaply purchased in that boxset compared to the second stand alone pack.  Something you could pass on or swap etc.  You get the Starter Box, Devil Dogs, Maverick plus the Ltd Ed figure with luck, some tokens and rules plus dice and the scenery pack.  Hang around that well known auction site, these boxes complete are often sold on cheaply and you may get a bargain.

The Starter Pack pretty much gives you the essentials - your basic Grunts and Foxtrot, plus your generic Minuteman and Marauder profiles (which are both waiting on boxsets).  Fastest way to add to that is the Grunt SWC box for all the special weapons and filling out your basic core.

There should soon be a boxset release of Marauders for the full 5-man link.  For bikes (smoke) there are 3x maverick bike models (the army box for the shotgun plus the new boxset) and 2 desperado bike models.  There's both sets of Devil Dogs if you want to go that route, though I seldom see lists with one let alone two.  To add to those you can pick up the Airborne Ranger w/SMG, Hardcase and second Foxtrot models to taste which will almost complete the collection.  A lot of lists I see spam various profiles since they are so cheap and effective - ie: Foxtrots, Hardcases and Infiltrating Heavy Flamer Grunts etc.

Once the Marauders are released it'll be easy to run those 10-man lists with your Unknown Ranger and/or Van Zant (Reign of Fire inspired special char) plus Blackjacks - but we will be waiting a while for the Blackjack models (proxy with the new Al Fasid's or Azra'il's if you like).

Thankfully the collection is both small and new, so for someone wanting a nice looking army without being confused or spoilt for choices, I reckon it's a great place to start.

5 hours ago, infyrana said:

**seconds out.. Pride of Rodina beat me to it!

Like Spetsnaz, PoR's quick and deadly...watch your back ;) 

3 hours ago, Klerych said:

Hahaha, I have yet to see a forum for a game where people race to reply to help someone like here. :D And so helpful at that! You guys are awesome!

No worries, man, it was perfectly safe of you to assume. :D

As for the suggestions - I really, really love the models of Spetsnaz HMG and Tankhunter, both are on my "to buy regardless" list. :D  Given that you recommend so many USARF models, maybe I should just branch out that way? I can't afford a full USARF army yet, but I could slowly start building up that way. What'd be good purchases to gradually switch over by expanding those lists?

I'm sorry to ask so much, but I honestly haven't had the opportunity to learn army building in Infinity yet, so I don't know even the basics of it (aside from going for 10 orders and the need to have some doctor, a lieutenant and preferably some hard hitter that'll carry the game for me like the Su Jian). What'd be the best purchases to firstly flesh it out (can also replace a model or two altogether, I already bought those miniatures years ago, so I won't cry over not using one or two at all, like the Moblot, Loup and/or Mormaer - I got their value back already :D) and secondly what'd be the perfect next purchases to turn it into USARF later when I know the game well enough to try the team mechanics?

We try. It's all about the friendly competitions to see who can get there first and then provide the best advice ;) 

Do it. Spetsnaz and Tankhunters are excellent. I really only recommended so many USARF models as well since you mentioned thinking about playing them at some point and because I only use USARF and Kazak models....Also, the French are outdated and the Caledonians have few good heavy weapon options when compared to Vanilla (Cateran and debatably the Scots Guards). To expand and do USARF, you'll definitely want a Dozer. No doubt about it. Definitely the USARF starter too. I'd strongly suggest the Mavericks boxset once it comes out, Marauders, and Blackjacks. At the moment, only the Dozer and the USARF starter are available for purchase, so good thing this is a project for way down the road, eh? ;) 

No worries mate! I love helping players figure this kind of stuff out! It's like practice for me when I go to make my own lists and helps me think about what I take and why, as well as what I don't take and why. Lots of self-reflection, helping others, and list building practice...a whole lot of good! At the moment, I'd suggest the USARF starter, Dozer, Spetsnaz, Tankhunters, and Scouts (I really like them, but I know many people find them too expensive). Possibly the Cateran and the Spec-Ops to proxy as a Chasseur, if you don't mind proxying. Other than that, it really comes down to your personal preferences and taste. I might, also, suggest some kind of Wolf-man, dude-thing to be your Tank (like the Su-Jian) since that's all Ariadna has, unless you want to use Veteran Kazaks or Blackjacks, but I know you don't like their concepts.

3 hours ago, Klerych said:

As for Antipodes... for some reason I can't get myself to want to field those. I mean... those models are fantastic, I will most likely end up buying one sooner or later even if just for the sake of having them, but I still have some barriers when it comes to some models' design in Infinity (looking at you, Crazy Koalas and... well, basically anything of that size; and men in skirts; and people in weird poses like the Mormaer or HMG Vet Kazak) and the thought of giant military werewolves with machetes is a cheesy one to me. :D

I really hope that sooner or later there will be a Kazak sectorial with good sculpts for the line dudes, because those two amazing HMG models (Spetsnaz and Tankhunter) are not allowed in USARF. Sadness!

Antipodes are stupidly great and if you want, you could easily buy up the old Antipodes and convert them into Snorks from STALKER, if you'd like that better. I did it and it was a pretty cheap and easy conversion and I think looks better than Wolf-dudes running around. I can give some pointers with that, if you'd like.

But don't worry comrade, the Kazak sectorial is coming soon and we're getting resculpts of the Veteran Kazaks relatively soon. I expect we'll see a Kazak starter within the next year, maybe a year and a half.

47 minutes ago, infyrana said:

---snip---

Listen to this man. He's got the right ideas and he beat me to giving advice. Luckily for him, I was in the middle of a meeting, or I'd reply sooner ;) 

You'll find that Spetznaz are the boogyman of Infinity. They're the guys that everyone else checks their closets for before they go to bed. Because they murder everything, especially the HMG version.

You deploy down a sea of camo markers and your opponent is going to be sweating wondering which one(s) are/is a Spetznaz with HMG.

1 hour ago, grey templar said:

You'll find that S.A.S are the boogyman of Infinity. They're the guys that everyone else checks their closets for before they go to bed. Because they murder everything, especially the HMG version.

You deploy down a sea of camo markers and your opponent is going to be sweating wondering which one(s) are/is a Spetznaz with HMG.

S.A.S. with HMG? Do you mean Spetsnaz?

Ahh yeah, pay no attention that man behind the curtain!

The Spetznaz is so good he makes you think he's SAS!

Holy Mother of God, I had no idea there was such thing coming to Ariadna as Blackjacks! I've recently bought the Red Veil and added both Azra'il to my collection and couldn't help but think that it should be Ariadna that should have those, rather than Haqqs. Now I can't wait to see their sculpts when they come out.:D And rangers, at that! Gonna be amazing, methinks!

Alright, so the first purchases for Ariadna that'll be added to my buying queue are going to be the Spetsnaz HMG and Tankhunter. As for dozer - should I pick the cool guy with MUL control device or the pinup girl with an RPG? As for the pack... I really am tempted to buy the big box, because I'd also like to have the terrain from there - combined with Red Veil terrain it'll look very nice (the moto.tronica terrain sticks out like a sore thumb next to the Lotus buildings) and give me a crapload of stuff to put on the table in addition to what I already have in my collection to make a nice table. Then again I am no huge fan of bikes and werewolves... I guess I'll check online and at the local store if they have the pre-order edition at a decent price. If not, I might go for the starter instead. We'll see!

So let's say I'll go for vanilla Ariadna until I have enough money to spend on army pack/starter + unit boxes. I'll have the Spetsnaz and Tankhunter and the latter will be okay to proxy as any loadout for the time being (until they get a sculpt of their own). Should they be fielded together, or should I alternate between them in later lists? Same for the Dozer. Generally how many and how varied heavy weapons should I want? I really dig the models of MULs and they seem to carry some potent weaponry on them, but I don't know whether they'd fit and if they wouldn't be an overkill if I include the Spetsnaz and/or Tankhunter. As for scouts I assume it's the dashing Ojotnik model?

I must say that I quite want to field the Unknown Ranger now that I have the mini, because, boy, does he look badass! And from the special rules I saw on his unit entry he's kind of a Punisher-esque dude that likes to wreck face (although he lacks some potent gun with just a rifle, but then again the heavy pistol might be deadly in close quarters).

Edit: sorry, guys, that I won't multiquote everyone - there are so many helpful replies I just have to reply to everything at once. :D 

Dozer with Mul Controller + Twin Minesweeper Muls are a great source of cheap orders in Ariadna. I don't much rate the weapons (cool though they are) but built mine with them anyway and nobody seems to mind. Likewise converting the much newer Sniper Scout into an "ojotnik" version by modding his rifle. 

Sounds like yo're on the right track anyway. I'm a big advocate for Vanilla (well, and Kazaks) so I think you can't really go too wrong there, and it does let you find your feet as you try a little bit of everything you like the look of. :)

I must admit that I honestly fail at making lists in Infinity! Been playing around with the Army tool and it's really hard for me to make a list that comprises of 10 models (to have single group) and doesn't leave ridiculous amount of points unspent.

Hell, I've even been adding "badasses" repeatedly and still ended up at 269 points. Somewhat feels like having 16 or 18 orders is not really hard for Ariadna. :'D I know this is crap and it's order-starving (then again I can just send them one by one and in case the first dies, the second has 9 orders to burn through and so on - I have seen what a single Hsien can do with enough orders!), but I've been throwing heavy weapons all over the place and still couldn't spend all the points! I probably could use more specialists and stuff (Van Zant sticks out like a sore thumb there too), but that's literally the best I can do with my present knowledge. :'D

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png10  
logo_3.pngSPETSNAZ (CH: Ambush Camouflage) HMG / Pistol, CCW, Knife. (1.5 | 38)
logo_52.pngUNKNOWN RANGER (Chain of Command) Rifle / Heavy Pistol, T2 CCW, Knife. (0 | 41)
logo_5.pngTANKHUNTER AP HMG, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 35)
logo_12.pngSCOUT Ojotnik, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
logo_51.pngBLACKJACK AP HMG, Chest Mines, D.E.P. / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (2 | 36)
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Paramedic (MediKit) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
logo_39.pngWARDRIVER Hacker (Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 19)
logo_18.pngVAN ZANT (Executive Order) AP Rifle / Heavy Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 39)

6 SWC | 269 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Some like to play Ariadna with 10-12 orders, but I've found that Ariadna is much more powerful when it leverages its wonderful cheap units and hits 15+ orders. I think you'll have to trade in those line Kazaks to get to 300 points and ten orders. 

18 minutes ago, Klerych said:

I must admit that I honestly fail at making lists in Infinity! Been playing around with the Army tool and it's really hard for me to make a list that comprises of 10 models (to have single group) and doesn't leave ridiculous amount of points unspent.

Hell, I've even been adding "badasses" repeatedly and still ended up at 269 points. Somewhat feels like having 16 or 18 orders is not really hard for Ariadna. :'D I know this is crap and it's order-starving (then again I can just send them one by one and in case the first dies, the second has 9 orders to burn through and so on - I have seen what a single Hsien can do with enough orders!), but I've been throwing heavy weapons all over the place and still couldn't spend all the points! I probably could use more specialists and stuff (Van Zant sticks out like a sore thumb there too), but that's literally the best I can do with my present knowledge. :'D

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png10  
logo_12.pngSCOUT Ojotnik, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
logo_51.pngBLACKJACK AP HMG, Chest Mines, D.E.P. / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (2 | 36)
logo_1.pngLINE KAZAK Paramedic (MediKit) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
logo_39.pngWARDRIVER Hacker (Hacking Device) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 19)

6 SWC | 269 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Replace those Line Kazaks with Veteran Kazaks and the points deficit will just melt away like butter in the sun.

Hm... well, I have three veteran kazaks with rifles, so I might do exactly that, but then I need some lieutenant (currently Line Kazak) and would removing the medikit one not cut down my low amount of specialists even further? That being said I have to ask around at my store to see if limited insertion is actually played in my area at all. If not, I guess that more orders might be neat to run rampant with two badasses each turn rather than just one.

Not sure about the Wardriver, I added him just because I thought that having a hacker would be nice and it's the only model that can hack in the whole faction according to the army builder.

11 minutes ago, Klerych said:

and would removing the medikit one not cut down my low amount of specialists even further?

It won't, if you take a veteran kazak paramedic :D

It might also be interesting to take the T2 sniper Blackjack instead of the AP hmg one 

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png10  
logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK Paramedic (MediKit) AP Rifle, Light Flamethrower / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 39)
logo_51.pngBLACKJACK T2 Sniper, Submachine Gun, Chest Mines / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (1 | 36)
logo_12.pngSCOUT (Forward Observer) Ojotnik, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30)

5 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Hahaha, and now I struggle to stay under 300 points and use up a reasonable amount of SWC, thanks!

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png10  
logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK Paramedic (MediKit) AP Rifle, Light Flamethrower / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 39)
logo_11.pngS.A.S. Chain Rifle, Light Shotgun / Pistol, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 21)
logo_8.pngVETERAN KAZAK AP Rifle, Light Flamethrower / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)

3 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Right now Van Zant competes for the right to be in the army with a Blackjack (wish it had a model, but I have the HMG Azra'il to proxy it if I want) or something punchier in general. Overall I have no idea what to think - everything either has ludicrous armour or Camo. Added a S.A.S. because I like and own the model, but I can be persuaded to put Wardriver back in if he's more useful.

I bet this is unplayable as hell. :D

Nah, thats a functional list. Though I'd prefer the Autocannon Tank Hunter to the AP HMG. Nothing says "SURPRISE BITCH!" like an autocannon surprise shotting a TAG from camo.

28 minutes ago, BLOODGOD said:

Some like to play Ariadna with 10-12 orders, but I've found that Ariadna is much more powerful when it leverages its wonderful cheap units and hits 15+ orders. I think you'll have to trade in those line Kazaks to get to 300 points and ten orders. 

Some like this crazy Kazak guy ;) 

Agreed that Ariadna excels at 15+ with lots of camo, there's no doubt about that at all.

@Klerych,

For the Dozer, get the Mul Control Device fella. You can always use him as the standard one too. The USARF terrain definitely looks great with the Red Veil terrain, but I'd kind of suggest against getting the USARF box. You don't need the Maverick with shotgun (unless you want to proxy the rifle) and you might not use the Devil Dog that much. Then again, if you DO plan on using the lady biker and the Devil Dog, then definitely get it! That's just my personal hindsight speaking, not sure if that will apply to you too.

You can definitely use the Spetsnaz and Tankhunter together, I do that quite frequently. I usually try to fill up my SWC, that's my only criteria for heavy weapons. I try to have a few "active turn" (high burst, medium ranges) and a few "reactive turn" (low burst, long range) weapons. Muls are kind of....bad. That's a story for a different day though. Scouts usually prefer their ojotniks since their the universal weapon and can be specialists :) 

Your list is playable, but I would do what grey templar say and swap out for the Autocannon. Definitely wouldn't bother with the Wardriver unless you take artillery Muls or plan on doing tournament stuff with your Ariadnans (even then, it'd be rare to need the Wardriver).

Here's a list I might play similar to yours, but that's because I'm not a fan of Van Zant. I also like lots of big weapons and specialists ;) 

logo_301.png Ariadna

orden_regular.png10  
logo_51.pngBLACKJACK T2 Sniper, Submachine Gun, Chest Mines / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (1 | 36)
logo_5.pngTANKHUNTER Portable Autocannon, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)
logo_12.pngSCOUT (Forward Observer) Ojotnik, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30)
logo_52.pngUNKNOWN RANGER (Specialist Operative) Molotok / Heavy Pistol, T2 CCW, Knife. (1.5 | 47)
logo_4.pngGRUNT (Marksmanship LX) Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Alright, so instead of the S.A.S, Van Zant, and 112, I added another Veteran Paramedic (functionally the same as the 112, but sturdier), a Grunt sniper (defense), and a Blackjack (defense and offense). I also swapped out the Chain of Command Unknown Ranger for the far deadlier Molotok version.

37 minutes ago, Klerych said:

Hm... well, I have three veteran kazaks with rifles, so I might do exactly that, but then I need some lieutenant (currently Line Kazak) and would removing the medikit one not cut down my low amount of specialists even further? That being said I have to ask around at my store to see if limited insertion is actually played in my area at all. If not, I guess that more orders might be neat to run rampant with two badasses each turn rather than just one.

Not sure about the Wardriver, I added him just because I thought that having a hacker would be nice and it's the only model that can hack in the whole faction according to the army builder.

Vet Kazaks have both Paramedic and Lieutenant options, so you're going to run out of points before you run out of specialists.

@ToadChild I found out after I started playing with the army tool, was stupid of me to not check up first, I swear I was convinced that they only had the regular and heavy gun version, gonna be more inquisitive next time! :'D

@Pride of Rodina I like that list very, very much. To the point where I'll most likely just go for it, given that it encourages me to get the Grunts pack (which will kick off my USARF list later) and uses all the models I really fancy!

Now it feels really bad to keep asking questions, because I already got a lot of help from you (and everyone else), but if it's okay, I'd like to ask two more questions:

1: what would you put in the list in place of a Blackjack just in case I didn't want to proxy it and wanted to field something else?
2: (this one is more demanding, feel free to ignore it) how to play it? Obviously I can read up the tactica, in fact I did already a bit in my spare time and I can figure out a lot from what you already said (as in - defensive and offensive use of particular models), but it could always help me to get the gist of playing this list (and Ariadna in general) if I knew the basics of operating with this list. :) 

Of course it's perfectly okay if you tell me to figure it out myself or, say, go to the local store and have someone explain it to me on models once I get them. You already helped a lot and I don't want to tire you with my questions, haha!  

Don't forget the T2 Rifle / X Visor version; it can't be anything special (specialist or lieutenant), but it packs quite the punch.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0