Abd Al-Azrad

Loosing interest in infinity, rekindling the flame.

24 posts in this topic

I've been on this forum for awhile and met some pretty great people.

Lately i've been loosing interest in infinity though. I don't know what it is but in the last few games i've had I have just been kind of bored. I don't know if it's the factions I mostly play or what exactly but I feel like i'm drifting further and further away from miniature gaming in general. So I just thought I'd ask if anyone else felt or has felt the same way and what they did about it. That or if you have suggestions on how to reinvigorate infinity for me i'm all ears.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually personally felt this when Warhammer Fantasy died and 40k could convoluted in rules. Gone where my dreams of building an Ogre Kingdoms force and my unfinished German Eisenkern Imperial Guard models became harder to find (and still are). Feeling like an Imperial Guardsman, I was dragging myself forward with almost no hope of completing any of my hobby dreams.

Then I found Infinity. However, I didn't just get the jolt i needed right then and there. It took time searching the forums, looking at peoples armies, playing around in the Army Builder, and window shopping. Having started to obtain some monthly income I decided to shelf my current projects for later and jumped into a brand new world.

I ended up choosing factions that I never thought I would like. Originally going for Aleph, I ended up on Dawn surrounded by werewolves. Then I choose the Hyperpower as a backup faction because of a friend of mine was starting his own. Even though he sold it looking for better factions finding his soulmate in Qapu Khalqi (and maybe more), his decision still has an effect on me and will continue to throughout my years. I think I may never get rid of my growing PanO force since it always makes me think of him. I never met the guy yet here I am getting sentimental.

All of this is/was done without anyone around my area to play with. That's right. I started miniature wargaming knowing that I wouldn't be able to play with anyone in a reasonable distance from me. I guess that shows how much I like this hobby. I still pour over strategy for the few game systems that have armies I like and keep tabs on community news from time to time. Maybe someday I'll finish my original projects. Ogres and Guardsmen will stand along side Fusiliers and Devil Dogs. Who knows what faction/team/game system will join them in the future? But until then I have new life breathed into me to keep me going. Goals that still need to be completed. No matter how long it takes or how others will paint, convert, or play better than me I'm going to create. Humans have a need to carve out something in their lives. Something to leave their mark on in this world. For many of us on these and other forums it is the art of this hobby. No matter what level of quality, tabletop or contest winner, that drives, no, complies us to do what we do.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken several breaks from minis gaming in the past. I got bored, or felt like my life and interests were going in a different direction, so I followed them. Sometimes you just need to focus on other things, like ToadChild says. Stick the minis in a closet and focus on other hobbies for a bit. Give it a few months, six months, a year, however long. If you start to get the itch, come back. The nice thing about Infinity is your army isn't going to take up as much space in the closet as, say, 2500 points of Imperial Guard, 500 of Sisters of Battle, and 4500 of Orks. Not that I have any personal experience in the matter. Just sayin' is all. 

Point is, take a break. If you're getting bored, pack up the models, put 'em aside, and don't try to force it. If you keep dragging yourself out to game nights, or trying to force yourself to paint, or whatever, you're only going to make it worse, and you'll come to resent the game and the hobby in general. Infinity isn't going anywhere. Go do whatever else interests you for a while, and if, after six months, a year, whatever, you still feel like you're done with minis gaming, you can consider just selling off your models and going forward with other hobbies. But think about that long and hard... I've gone through phases where I quit minis gaming and sold off all my models, and then regretted it a year later when I wanted to get back in. Don't try to force yourself to enjoy the hobby, but consider thoroughly if you're completely done with it, because that's a lot of stuff to rebuild if you decide to get back into it.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I've taken several breaks from minis gaming in the past. I got bored, or felt like my life and interests were going in a different direction, so I followed them. Sometimes you just need to focus on other things, like ToadChild says. Stick the minis in a closet and focus on other hobbies for a bit. Give it a few months, six months, a year, however long. If you start to get the itch, come back. The nice thing about Infinity is your army isn't going to take up as much space in the closet as, say, 2500 points of Imperial Guard, 500 of Sisters of Battle, and 4500 of Orks. Not that I have any personal experience in the matter. Just sayin' is all. 

Point is, take a break. If you're getting bored, pack up the models, put 'em aside, and don't try to force it. If you keep dragging yourself out to game nights, or trying to force yourself to paint, or whatever, you're only going to make it worse, and you'll come to resent the game and the hobby in general. Infinity isn't going anywhere. Go do whatever else interests you for a while, and if, after six months, a year, whatever, you still feel like you're done with minis gaming, you can consider just selling off your models and going forward with other hobbies. But think about that long and hard... I've gone through phases where I quit minis gaming and sold off all my models, and then regretted it a year later when I wanted to get back in. Don't try to force yourself to enjoy the hobby, but consider thoroughly if you're completely done with it, because that's a lot of stuff to rebuild if you decide to get back into it.

Yeah sometimes other things happen. I can strongly echo the sentiment of don't sell too quick (most of the time it's hardly worth the cash anyway) and just go do other things which are taking your fancy.

ive taken a few breaks over the years but I always seem to drift back. 

Its a hobby, you should enjoy it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

The nice thing about Infinity is your army isn't going to take up as much space in the closet as, say, 2500 points of Imperial Guard, 500 of Sisters of Battle, and 4500 of Orks. Not that I have any personal experience in the matter. Just sayin' is all.

Pfft, 500 points of Sisters takes up no real space.  Now, 2,600 points of Sisters, 3,600 points of Tyranids and a Baneblade, for example, would take up approximately half the space under the bed!  Rough estimation ;)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Abd Al-Azrad said:

I've been on this forum for awhile and met some pretty great people.

Lately i've been loosing interest in infinity though. I don't know what it is but in the last few games i've had I have just been kind of bored. I don't know if it's the factions I mostly play or what exactly but I feel like i'm drifting further and further away from miniature gaming in general. So I just thought I'd ask if anyone else felt or has felt the same way and what they did about it. That or if you have suggestions on how to reinvigorate infinity for me i'm all ears.

Yeah, i've been there for a bit... as a few others have said. Do something a little different for a while... for me it was malifaux, something very different to paint, build and play... after a couple of months of that (slipping in an infinity tournament along the way)... I was back wanting more infinity :).

I think one thing to keep in mind is this is just a game. There is no point in stressing about it, or pressuring yourself to enjoy it.... The only thing that will happen is that you'll feel worse. Have a little break, or try something different =)

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to keep in mind is why did you get into miniature wargamming in the first place? Did you want to create a cool narrative? Maybe kick off a spec-ops campaign. Was it puzzle solving and, breaking down how to win with a faction? Maybe it's time to try a new faction/puzzle. Were you pumped about bringing a specific vision of an army to life? It might be time to get those creative juices warmed up again.

As others have mentioned it may also be time to flip up the game. Personally, I play 40k, Infinity, Firestorm Armada, Age of Sigmar, and occasionally Malifaux (thanks to my buddy who bought an entire crew for me to play). I'm also looking at getting into Frostgrave if I can get things going around it. Now I don't have time to get a game in of all these systems in a month but, it's nice to have options when I want to scratch a different itch. Infinity is still my "main squeeze" but, unlike my wife, I don't think Infinity will mind if I go mess around with another game for a bit.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even different types of missions and game sizes can help if you're stuck with the same opponents. Playing 150 points, or Limited Insertion, or YAMS instead of ITS can be a breath of fresh air. It also helps get your army list, and in turn thinking about the game, out of a rut. Sounds like you might just be burned out though - it happens. A few folks in my group are focusing on other games (though I can't say I share their enthusiasm for them).

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that I've gotten too deep in the past with certain games and interests. My intense focus caused me to burn out fairly quickly. Instead of something I did for fun, it almost became compulsory and something I felt dedicated to.

Like others said, take a break. Detach from the forums and the constant discussion over the game and just do something else, or just sit and enjoy doing some painting or assembly if that is your gig.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd look at playing different factions or missions.  Do you have the Paradiso book?  Takes a lot of terrain, but those missions are totally different from what we usually play.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the reasons I usually have two unrelated game systems going at a time.
(It used to be WHFB and Infinity, now it's Kings of War and infinity).  They each serve as a break from the other game and the playing mindset each requires is also different.

If I still get gaming ennui, I take a break.  I took a break from 40k for about 3 years back in the early/mid 90s.  Went out, partied, enjoyed myself without dice. 

Still came back to gaming in the end. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alternative game system can help with burn out and be a breath of fresh air. For me it's Frostgrave because it's less competitive and more RPG and has some real laugh out loud moments in the games. It still (kind of) has a FTF mechanic and uses D20s yet has a totally different fun and casual feel to Infinity, and with it being fantasy it scratches a lot of itches in one Not saying that Infinity can't be fun or casual either, but sometimes focusing on lists, builds, math, missions, optimisations etc can suck the fun out a little bit and make it more like a numbers game. Making a pure fluff themed list can be a nice way to break the mold too.

I'm looking forward to more Paradiso / Combined Army invasion narrative type missions and campaigns for Infinity in the future to get that overarching story feel again. ITS without narrative can feel a little...stale sometimes.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing a friend of mine is doing to keep interest alive in Infinity is playing the occasional TAG Wars (we've modified the drop table to be more consistently decent (double chain rifle isn't very... exciting)).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have pointed out, switching up games is great advice. I also play Chain of Command (a WW2, platoon-level historical wargame), which has a very different feel from Infinity. It scratches a different itch, so to speak.

But I also find that having varied interests within the hobby also helps. I tend to alternate not only rule systems but also which aspect of the game I'm focusing on. I like to play the games (with all of the list building and theory-crafting which that entails), I like to paint, I like to design and build terrain, and I like to write. If I get burnt out on any one aspect, I'll just shift to something else for a while. That way, I still feel "productive" without feeling like anything has become a slog. Painting is especially time consuming for me, so that in particular is one I can only focus on for so long before I need to take a break.

Right now, my Infinity group is playing a narrative campaign, which has been a ton of fun. All of the battles are linked into an overall story, which is really cool. I find it's almost as much fun to write the narrative story of the mission and its context within the campaign as it is to fight the battle itself. It also has the added benefit of constantly making me wonder, "what will happen next?" which helps keep my interest up.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the best of games become routine. Switching armies is one way of getting some change, but also to mess about with the basic objectives of the game - the variation in ITS scenarios is good, but what happens if you theme the armies, so one could be a normal Infinity spec ops team, another plays an army of regular grunts with double the points and half the SWC?

How about terrain? Having generic modular terrain is great and all, but how about planning a space port? Hydroponic gardens? The caliphs harem? NeoTokyo pre-akira? Plan an encounter with custom built terrain, and have the whole experience be a mix of hobby and gaming.

One of my personal gaming epiphanies was when I gave up playing for the win, but started focusing on having fun in 'playing' with the games, I play.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through a somehow similar phase last year. I wasn't bored but just didn't prioritise playing too high with a lot of other things to do. 

I didn't actually try to counter that and took my time to wait until the fire starts to really burn brightly, again. After a break (only a few games every now and then) I am back on track and enjoy Infinity like I ever did. 

Maybe taking some time away from the hobby. Maybe you developed away from tabletop gaming. I guess that is yours to find out. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:04 PM, Golem2God said:

I actually personally felt this when Warhammer Fantasy died and 40k could convoluted in rules. Gone where my dreams of building an Ogre Kingdoms force and my unfinished German Eisenkern Imperial Guard models became harder to find (and still are). Feeling like an Imperial Guardsman, I was dragging myself forward with almost no hope of completing any of my hobby dreams.

Then I found Infinity. However, I didn't just get the jolt i needed right then and there. It took time searching the forums, looking at peoples armies, playing around in the Army Builder, and window shopping. Having started to obtain some monthly income I decided to shelf my current projects for later and jumped into a brand new world.

I ended up choosing factions that I never thought I would like. Originally going for Aleph, I ended up on Dawn surrounded by werewolves. Then I choose the Hyperpower as a backup faction because of a friend of mine was starting his own. Even though he sold it looking for better factions finding his soulmate in Qapu Khalqi (and maybe more), his decision still has an effect on me and will continue to throughout my years. I think I may never get rid of my growing PanO force since it always makes me think of him. I never met the guy yet here I am getting sentimental.

All of this is/was done without anyone around my area to play with. That's right. I started miniature wargaming knowing that I wouldn't be able to play with anyone in a reasonable distance from me. I guess that shows how much I like this hobby. I still pour over strategy for the few game systems that have armies I like and keep tabs on community news from time to time. Maybe someday I'll finish my original projects. Ogres and Guardsmen will stand along side Fusiliers and Devil Dogs. Who knows what faction/team/game system will join them in the future? But until then I have new life breathed into me to keep me going. Goals that still need to be completed. No matter how long it takes or how others will paint, convert, or play better than me I'm going to create. Humans have a need to carve out something in their lives. Something to leave their mark on in this world. For many of us on these and other forums it is the art of this hobby. No matter what level of quality, tabletop or contest winner, that drives, no, complies us to do what we do.

To be honest the biggest thing with infinity is that I just don't care for the backstory that much. I am one of those people that needs a good backstory or I just can't get into the game.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Abd Al-Azrad said:

To be honest the biggest thing with infinity is that I just don't care for the backstory that much. I am one of those people that needs a good backstory or I just can't get into the game.

Interruptor isn't going to come around, knock your door down and drag you away if you change the setting around for your own enjoyment. The RPG in particular seems custom-made for changing up the setting to personal taste.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Counting_Kittens said:

Interruptor isn't going to come around, knock your door down and drag you away if you change the setting around for your own enjoyment. The RPG in particular seems custom-made for changing up the setting to personal taste.

That would be great. I hope it is true.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Golem2God said:

That would be great. I hope it is true.

Switching up a setting to your liking isn't something you really need permission or guidelines to do. You just do it. Almost all of the time, it'll have no effect on gameplay, and within an RPG context, you make sure the players are on board first.

For instance, here's a few changes/extrapolations to the setting I've made. If/when I run the RPG I'm sure they'll come up, but as it stands, they're just fun things that I've changed about the setting to make it more relatable, and by extension enjoyable:
1) The relationship between PanOceania and the Military Orders is more explicitly PMC-like, with PanOceania essentially holding perpetual, exclusive contracts to their services. In addition, the influence the Church has in PanOceanian governance can create some interesting tensions, particularly with Hindu, Muslim and Secular dominated lobbies constantly working to counter the Church just on general principle.

2) The YuJing Imperial system integrates both the Japanese and Thai royal families into it, creating a four-way system, and in the case of the Thais, increasing their relative (or at least seeming) importance in YuJing society. Now on one hand, this changes things up a bit, but on the other hand, not as much as you might think: Sure, the Emperor might be Japanese, and YuJing might trumpet on about healing the ancient enmities of Asia, but on the other hand, the language of the Judiciary is still YuJingyu, and for the average citizen, you're still less likely to get a job if you have a Japanese name than if you had a more "socially conscious" one.

3) Caledonia and Merovingia are not as much monocultural as the "Default" setting depicts them as, both being far more of a cultural creole. The Caledonian language integrates a lot of Danish for instance, and you'll find Clans and Clan Septs with stereotypical English and Danish names. Merovingian doesn't resemble the French spoken in some parts of PanOceania, having integrated German and Dutch words, and in parts of Merovingia, those languages are the ones mainly spoken.

Now those basically have no "concrete" changes to the game mechanics. I could make changes to miniatures; a samurai-inspired Imperial Agent for instance (painted in Shinsen-Gumi colours, of course) or Celestial Guard based upon traditional Thai uniforms. I could have a Merovingian army with all the unit names changed to German and Dutch equivalents. What's important however is that by changing up the setting, even if only in my head, I've made it feel more personally mine, and thus I enjoy it more.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all those changes, and they mostly reflect my own "perspective" on the setting.

I also run the PanO church as being the one given the most face-time, so to speak, but with massive amounts of Hindus and old-school Muslims as well as atheists etc in PanO. The resurrection licenses are mostly given out to Catholics and Hindus because most PanO citizens are from South America or India, but there's plenty who get them from other faiths and a specific government dept. for those of no faiths. This is how the setting works already! But I tend to see PanO as considerably more Indian/South American/Australiasian than others. The caucasian part of PanO is relatively small (but for me includes the US West Coast tech and media industries, a big source of PanO corporate power).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Counting_Kittens said:

[...]

I could make changes to miniatures; a samurai-inspired Imperial Agent for instance (painted in Shinsen-Gumi colours, of course) or Celestial Guard based upon traditional Thai uniforms. I could have a Merovingian army with all the unit names changed to German and Dutch equivalents. What's important however is that by changing up the setting, even if only in my head, I've made it feel more personally mine, and thus I enjoy it more.

That is obscenely tempting, except that I already used the Shinsengumi colors for my Kempeitai.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is what it is.  Hobbies are meant to be fun, so do something fun.

Honestly, I see a lot of gamers who couldn't stay focused on just one system even if it was the greatest, tightest, most thrilling rule system in the universe.  The industry is saturated by flashy releases, great up-and-coming systems, and very cool new developers.  Even the best players I know (and I know some freaking fantastic Infinity players) need to back off for a week, a month, or longer just to focus on other things and come back to the system. 

Personal anecdote time:

Just a couple of months ago, I was all prepped to go to GenCon.  Having worked the booth the year before, I was really excited this year to do nothing but play.

Then life got in the way.  A major work deadline got moved around.  I had to prepare a major presentation last minute.  My girlfriend and I opted to move houses.  My grandfather died.  Life got in the way to such a jarring degree that I couldn't even look at or think about Infinity for a month, which was stark contrast to preparing for one of the Western Hemisphere's most competitive and awesome events.  It was the longest period of time I've gone without an Infinity game since I started playing 5+ years ago.

Just roll with it.  Now I'm back in action, built half a dozen new minis last night and am organizing an ITS and a league.  Breaks are healthy.  Either you come back to it because you miss it, or you leave and never look back.  Both of those are pretty positive experiences.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now