Wolden Spoons

New to Infinity, starting with Ariadna

10 posts in this topic

Hi all. I've been watching infinity with adoration from afar for about a year, mostly from the Beasts of War Ariadna week. I've long had my eye on the starter box to get beginning playing as Werewolves, firemen and minutemen drew me to the faction in the first place.

Luckily through my prompting I've managed to get four other people to split the starter boxes between them cunningly leaving Ariadna free for me.

My dilemma though is the start up cost. I can get the USAriadna full box and get the dice and their rules, and a lot of the stuff I'd need for a Rangers force. I want Van Sandt because he's so cool, however, the Caledonian box is half the price and I also like the look of them. The SAS being a big selling point. 

If I go Caledonian I can start soon, if I go Foxtrot Rangers I will have to wait but the box is great. What would you all recommend?

(Pretty sure there isn't a Kazak box 😉)

Well first question is between the two of them, (oh god do I wish there was a Kazak box!) which has more models that you like? Personally I would want to start sooner rather than later so I would get the Caledonia box and maybe some blisters so you can start playing with your friends. Besides nothing is stopping you from picking up the Rangers later or vice versa.

The choice also depends on your preferred playstyle, Caledonia from what I can tell tends to favor the horde approach and their starter reflects that clocking in at around 118 points depending on the options you take.  USAriadna can also do hordes but they tend more for mid size armies with way too many flamethrowers for my taste (as an opponent that is) :P

By the way, Welcome to Infinity! And more importantly, welcome to Dawn!

You can get 5 d20 on ebay for £2.50.

There aren't really any rules that come with USA. There are some scenarios but the actual rules are all online for free and in the army builder. The starter/beginner rules are also online for free. 

So I wouldn't choose one set or the other based on dice and rules. 

That said it's a good set, even at twice the price,  as it has a lot more points that a 6 model starter. 

If money is an issue I would avoid Scots as they will be one of the biggest forces around in terms of model count at 300 points. The starter is half the price sure but it's way less points. 

To an extent I'd say that's true of the USA as well. They don't yet have models for all their higher cost options.

They dont make a bad starter for Vanilla but I'm not sold on the minuteman or marauders outside of link teams. Grunts are good,  foxtrot fantastic,  maverick useful and devil dogs good (and you said you like werewoves). 

Although its an older set and some of the models are not up to modern standards the Vanilla starter is a good set. 

Sorry that's probably jot much help... 

I wrote a big post of Facebook about starting vanilla if you were interested? 

5 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

(Pretty sure there isn't a Kazak box 😉)

The Vanilla starter is pretty close to a Kazak box ;) 

My question is, why don't you want to go Vanilla and then expand when USARF gets some more models and Caledonia gets some sweet resculpts? Then you can use those oh so Kazaks that you seemingly enjoy. Or, if you're feeling really brave, you could just play Kazaks which a few of us here on the forums do to some extreme effectiveness.

To actually answer your question though, I'd probably do Caledonia or Vanilla if you want to play immediately. I'd then expand into USARF once we get some of the other boxes that aren't currently out yet.

Of course not having played yet I'm not sure how I feel about camo tokens. I think at this stage the box is better and I can diversify later. Of course the Haqqislam player has already bought Maggie.

I do like the Kazaks, especially the big dog. 

You could limit your collection requirements if you wanted to opt for a Limited Insertion style list (single group so approx 10 models).  Best options here is to run a Vanilla list giving you access to almost everything - but would require you to run the slightly costlier models in terms of points.  You could then pick up some of the nice individual purchases like the new Spetsnaz models, Tankhunter, Col Voronin, Van Zant, Unknown Ranger, Scout etc.  Then later on choose whichever sectorial starter you want and add in models appropriately building your Vanilla options and your sectorial beginnings.  I've ended up starting a USARF collection but really want to grab some Wulvers, Uxia and the Kazak's I've listed - so spoilt for choices I like that I'll end up mixing them together for a Vanilla list.

The downside would be trying to learn the game the hard way with an elite list and limited options, maybe not so advisable :)

Obviously expanding after my starter is good, I think my opponents have approx 200 points now.

Tractor Mul is essential. Then an engineer and camo forward observers. Ahem. 

And dice from eBay don't tend to be those special Ariadna ones 😉

Tractor Mulls are SUPER expensive for two 5 point models. Even the missle launcher ones seem order intensive. 

I'd get some Volunteers instead. Hell for the money you go practically get the Scots starter. 

The Ariadna Starter box and the Caledonia starter box are both full of good models to have. They are somewhat dated, older sculpts, however if you like how they look that shouldn't really be a problem. Personally I'm not a fan of the USAriadna as much, all my favorite toys besides Van Zant are in other sectorials. This leaves me playing vanilla Ariadna a lot, but I definitely lean Caledonian for sectorials. 

If you want to run lower model count lists to save on cash, you can do that in Ariadna, and even with Caledonian sectorial, but you end up building different types of lists from what people normally consider with Ariadna players. in Caledonia, bringing a Haris link of Mormaers and a Core link of Wulvers, for example, gives you a lot of beefy elite models eating up points. For Vanilla, the Vet Kazak is a super star. Just some examples.

I find the Traktor Muls get very little play, but your mileage may vary. Units that I bring a LOT include Uxia, Scouts, Foxtrot Rangers, and Chasseurs for infiltrators. Spetsnaz and Vet Kazaks are great at solving problems. Wulvers are exceedingly sturdy and bring you a mobile climbing platform for grenading your opponents when they try to turtle up.

Lots of great ways to play this game when you live on Dawn!

Lots of good advice. I think the important thing is that the big box is worth it, if I didn't get that I'd want it anyway so makes more sense to start there. Van Sant next then the world is my oyster.