Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wolden Spoons

General newcomer to Ariadna starter 101.

11 posts in this topic

My troops are purchased and assembled. I have opponents and tables. Now I'm all ready to start playing. Except for a few tactical issues.

As a brand new inexperienced player I was wondering if you veterans have some basic advice for deploying and using our camo troops, paratroopers and our impetuous stuff. 

Hmm, I could include van Sant and things like that but go on, hit me with your pearls of wisdom.

From my inexperience, I recommend re-reading all the rules to go with your camo troops.  You need to make sure that you're aware of all their potential for deployment, movement, modifiers for discovery and shooting etc, and re-camo'ing.  Last thing you want is to deploy at your starting zone only to read half way through the game that you had infiltration!

If you wanted more information on Van "Z"ant, then there's plenty of stuff via the search option :)  Good luck!

@Wolden Spoons, what troops are you using? USARF, Kazaks, Caledonia, MRRF, or a mixture?

Let me know and I'll hook you up with some articles to read :) I also write some rather generic tactical articles too, if you're interested I can link them here for you too.

I would recommend looking at the sectorial tactica threads, even if you are playing Vanilla they will still be helpful because they give a good idea of the capabilities of each unit.

For a general tactic I've always been a fan of the good old 'hammer and anvil'. By this I mean having a solid base of fire in my center, usually a tankhunter and spetsnaz, and then create two flanking forces spearheaded by impetuous troops like Irmandinhos. To ensure that my flankers actually get around my foe I usually distract them by sending something big and scary like a Dog Warrior straight up the middle.

That looks like just the thing Lazarus. I'll enjoy them later.

I currently own the following.

USAriadna box

Roger Van Sant

Foxtrot Ranger with Sniper Rifle

Airborn Ranger with SMG

SAS with BSG. 

I don't have the Antipode pack yet but soon. So probably vanilla but with leanings to USAriadna.

Here's some general links for you: 

http://prideofrodina.blogspot.com/ - my personal blog with lots of insightful articles

http://midwestwargaming.com/author/pride-of-rodina/ - the list of all of my articles that I write for a community blog (there are a few things here I haven't copied over to my own blog yet).

Alright, here are some links for unit advice:

http://prideofrodina.blogspot.com/search/label/USARF - my two posts worth of analysis on every USARF troop

Kazak unit analysis (it was too long to keep as the URL, ha ha) - I know you aren't using Kazaks, but you mentioned the Antipode pack, so I thought I'd at least share these in case you decide to start using more Kazaks.

I don't use the other troops, so I don't have articles/guides on them, sorry. I hope these links help you and if you have any specific questions, just ask! We Ariadnans are always glad to help a fellow comrade :) 

Thanks guys. PoR I read your stuff first, great tactica and I do intend in getting some Kazaks (cough hmg cough) as I go. As soon as I work out what Guardian level 1 does besides provide the Antipode I'll certainly want the colonel. 

Lazarus, your stuff is great, good basics and some other stuff I will need to read when I learn the game better. Now talk to me about very impetuous troops!

4 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Thanks guys. PoR I read your stuff first, great tactica and I do intend in getting some Kazaks (cough hmg cough) as I go. As soon as I work out what Guardian level 1 does besides provide the Antipode I'll certainly want the colonel. 

Glad you enjoyed it :) Guard Lv. 1's pretty easy: -3 to your opponent's attack and +1 damage for your attack, while in CC. It is kind of niche, but kind of nice too.

Extremely Impetuous, huh? First thing to keep in mind is they NEVER receive the bonus of cover, so it's irrelevant to them. Second thing to realize is that they have to use (unless you spend a Regular Order to cancel it) their Impetuous Order to run straight towards the closest enemy 'troop'. After they run forward and AROs are declared, you more than likely will want to dodge or throw smoke to save yourself. That's pretty much it. Don't worry about cover and try to position them so they don't always run out in front of 3+ AROs.

Now, the biggest issue though is knowing when to cancel the Extremely Impetuous Order. Don't always use it and don't always cancel it. This is a science that's best determined on your own though. Everyone has their own preferences.

All good points. Couple of things I'll add about extreme impetuous. 

1.) Where possible, try to position the troop in such a way that a single 4" mov won't take him into key firelanes. In an ideal world, the 4" move would take you jusssst out enough to see where you want the smoke to land, and not so far that you eat a Sniper bullet to the head. 

2.) Save your smoke. Late game you'll need it, and while I ALWAYS have the Antipode controller as a backup, it's worth keeping the cheap forward options around. This means that while the extreme impetuous guys tend to be dirt cheap, you don't necessarily want them to be utterly disposable. Especially Irmadinhos, as they still score, and being able to flip over an objective with an Irregular order is always nice. 

3.) Cancel the order when necessary (as prideofrodina just noted) and don't forget that if nothing else, you can always use the Irregular order to "undo" an Impetuous order, by using it to put the model back where it started. This is a useful way to control just how far up they are, and a great way to establish #1 again at the end of each turn. 

4.) Position them like landmines. Attacking on your turn is only really worth it if you can get a cluster of models under the template (or the opponent is terrible at dodging) but of course defensively the Chain Rifle is just as good, if not better, as opponent's really don't want to be endlessly dodging it (and not moving on the reactive turn). So dropping them into a nice corner say is a great way to keep them defending an area from close range foes. 

Must dash, but if this becomes a popular request I'll consider a proper article later down the line to go with my Scouts piece (dropping this coming week). 

I know a lot of this is stuff you learn while playing. Luckily I have that to look forward to. 

But then I imagine now you have things you could tell yourself when you first started.