unclesrouge

Paradiso Table for Shock Army of Acontecimento (SAA)

47 posts in this topic

Your ideas/experiences requiered: Paradiso Table for Shock Army of Acontecimento (SAA)

Want to here YOUR comments on what you have enjoied most when playing on outdoor tables and what not.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

The aim is to build a enjoiable and PLAYABLE table.

There are some reasons, why I want to build up my jungle table:
- the "Shock Army of Acontecimento PanOceania Sectorial Starter Pack" is comming soon, and
- the TAGline, with cool missions for a jungle board is out recently.

I've seen a lot of great jungle table in the forum.
My overall favorite is the "LOST IN PARADISO" by Scenery Planet, showing a lost civilication.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVnBMgcqjNQ

There is a realy good thread on outdoors tables - what to get/do - what to avoid:
http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/45762-outdoors-table-what-to-getdo-what-to-avoid/

For this table will jungle and a modern scifi city.

I've collected some ideas, what such a table should have:

* 1-2x large elements - objectvie room size (8"x8" h=3.5" up to 12"x12")
[ ] 1x objective room

* 5x medium - building size  (4.7"x6.4" h=1.7" up to 6"x9")
[  ] 1x military outpost (sniper tower)
[  ] big multi-level rock (double building size)
[  ] rock with waterfall
[  ] 1x administrative building for freight area

* 1-2x tall - tower size (up to 12” tall)

* 6x small - container size  (10"x2" h=2")
[+] big tree on rock
[+] big tree/s
[  ] extraterrestrial tree
[+] big dead/fallen tree
[  ] rock
[  ] artefact hidden in jungle
[  ] container for wood and exotic resources

* scatter size  (1/2" up to 4"x2" h=1.5")
[+] small tree
[+] fallen trees
[  ] bundle of felled trees
[  ] rock
[  ] bridge

* difficult terrain
[  ] river/swamp

Project Duration: 6-12 Month

Maxime for scratch building: "Terrain building, ... is always a process. ... start building stuff and learn what works, what doesn't and what can be improved. ... to get your first table filled with enough terrain ... start playing, fast, and if you're on a budget ... the best route might be to put your ambitious project on hold and fill your table with papercraft terrain. This will cost you a few hours of searching, printing and building time (a few more if you have no previous experience with papercraft), but it'll be way faster and way cheaper than anything you can build. It'll look decent and, if done right, will be resilient enough to last you while you expand your scenery collection. The tools you buy for it and experiences you make doing this will definitely come in handy later, again, for more DIY - do it yourself -- kinds of projects.” [by TerrorTigr]
http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/40978-silly-diorama/

* checklist for table layout

Spoiler

- No Line of Fire (LoF) from deployment zone to deployment zone at ground level
- check LoF's from four different directions
    Deployment zone to deployment zone
    Side to side
    Diagonal from one side
    Diagonal from the other side
- Try rotating everything 45 degrees
- always have enough options to deploy your troops in full cover
- some small pieces like crates or so help a lot to give cover on the way through the board
- nice defined edges (rocks) where minis can take partial cover
- remember the windows: sometimes players forget about them and end up in a laser-pointer nightmare table

837191_sm-WIP%20Jungle.JPG

picture: shows a draft of currently collected items for a SAA table.

1a35ba9038ec5295a3516904150b35d2.jpg

Climbing Tree and Snipers Paradise

Idea is to have a multi-level tree instead of a building in this jungle terrain. The levels are currently 4" .

What's your thoughts about such a thing? Climbing isn't realy used often - maybe a short movement can bring you up the tree?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

That tree is awesome, and I really like the fact that it can actually be used in the game. It's one of the issues, I think, with natural terrain - trees and such - versus artificial terrain. Ladders, catwalks, and other human-accessible things are easy to add to artificial terrain but making natural terrain accessible is more difficult.

The only thing I'd add is thicker trunks so it's possibly at least in theory to have total cover while climbing up and down the trunk.

Thx for your suggestions- good point to have cover while climbing/moving up.

So the trunc will be 1" at the "first level". In the "second level" you will have only partial cover.

What about a "base" in the tree that can be moved up by a rope ladder?

This would be similar to the ladders at the buildings - that means you just need two short movement skill (its 8" up from ground) to get up.

The rope can be withdrawn - so the next one has to CLIMB up (not move).

Some more hints on playability of big jungle trees?

840846_mb-Accontesiamento%2C%20Infinity%

The methods suggested for 40k Catachan tables back in the day are applicable to Infinity as well, and Infinity even has the rules in place already.

Real world jungles are a mixture of nonspecific hindering low level roots, shrubs and branches, larger trunks that are full LOF and movement blockers, and a constantly changing visual filter of leaves. Paths can vanish in days or even hours depending on what made them and how frequently they are re-used.

Paradiso is supposedly a hyper jungle, a constant race between the large and aggressive animal inhabitants and the otherwise unchecked plant life.

For the game reality of Infinity the simple approach would be to declare the whole table Low Visibility, place the big landmarks like that tree, alien ruins, this week's bunker, etc, and mark the spots or zones that are either better or worse than the LV default.

For the spectacle, the Catachan table, full of 60mm round bases with terrarium foliage that you remove and replace as models move, is tempting to do, but a time and storage investment entirely separate from the usual urban boards Infinity is known for.

If certain types of trees are present on Paradiso, a board could also be approached as a traditional catwalk table, with huge and high branches connecting trees with paths large enough to traverse with a little agility and moxie.  The rules covering legal model placement in Infinity do threaten to make such a board look a little odd, however, so you will want to mix really wide and suspiciously flat-topped branches with liana bridges, multi-branch tangles, and super-leap gaps.

2ddabea60fab12f43d1448bcccceaa88.jpg

three level tree

d48dbc7310f1539e2d5c05239a3d5f13.jpg

I have 5 or 6 trees made from kitchen roller towel / print roll that go up about 30cm. I made large, thick roots to provide cover. I tried to make a Paradiso-style "fungus" ledge but it kind of failed. I'll post some pics when I get round to building more terrain.

1 hour ago, Lampyridae said:
...made from kitchen roller towel / print roll that go up about 30cm...

Great idea. Will try that on the next one - giving the wire around an inner roller. This was the tree will get a thicker trunk.

The Magic mushrooh idea is also great! The association with Alice in wonderland will come up ... think the mushrooh has to wait a bit :-) But what about a giant carnivore plant? What rules to use?

4 minutes ago, unclesrouge said:

Great idea. Will try that on the next one - giving the wire around an inner roller. This was the trete will get a thicker trunk.

The Magicians mushrooh idea is also great! The association with Alice in wonderland will come up ... think the mushrooh has to wait a bit :-) But what about a giant carnivore plant? What rules to usw?

There are Hazard (Hostility?) Zones in the Paradiso rules that you can apply to them. On any roll of 19/20 in the zone, take a BTS hit etc.

1 hour ago, Lampyridae said:

... I'll post some pics when I get round to building more terrain.

I'll be realy interessed in seeing your trees to get an idea of the look of your trees. Have you some playing experiences with them?

I just read the "Maxime for scratch building" in the first post and was like "Man, I gotta write that down, that advice is gonna help me build my table!" Hahahaha.

58916834ee10112e9567a66a9c2744b0.jpg

Toastes leafes for the Jungle. 30 min at 60 degress. Then matt varnish spray

478916440054f9dc839b78f94215c685.jpg

Like that tree of pandora but no idea how to use tactical in game

On 03/12/2016 at 3:24 PM, unclesrouge said:

Like that tree of pandora emoji9.png but no idea how to use tactical in game

Electromagnetic interferences? Mark the zone below somehow and make it Nimbus, Eclipse or something like that.

Using leaves to make leaves........that's cheating!

Using leaves to make leaves........that's cheating!

You are right It's like using branches for trees and stones for rocks

I tried doing this - but couldn't see any difference when using colored and "painted" paper. Will post some pics soon.

I just read the "Maxime for scratch building" in the first post and was like "Man, I gotta write that down, that advice is gonna help me build my table!" Hahahaha.

03cdb2b1aa3bdcc4464335e2dea71158.jpg

268cfe21a46280951d86b9475c9e83f4.jpg34df1bd637cec46e0f7bfef07d2e8d8d.jpg

Now the jungle can grow

Your tips and help needed on how to do (cheap) forest soil / jungle ground!

The (cheap) jungle tree procedure with aquarium/terrarium plants worked out very well.
The next step is that i want to have a "realistic" jungle ground terrain for the "realistic" jungle trees.

What I have so far - collected from all over the forum and web - is the following:

Three layers of forest soil / jungle ground:
- earth tone soil / mud
- foliage
- low vegetation

Material for buildung that layers are:

* soil material:
1. potting soil (sifted and baked)
    or
2. coffee powder (cooked in a mixture of water and dishwashing detergent, sifted and baked)
    or
3. plaster (powder/crumbs/gravel mixed with earth tones acrylic colors)

- Apply a mixture of wood glue and water to terrain.
- Crumble or sprinkle the “jungle soil” all over in varying density.
- To fix spray with a mixture of wood glue (transparent), water and dishwashing detergent.

* mud material:
- mixture of potting soil (sifted and baked), wood glue, water, brown color and clear varnish

- Selectively apply the “jungle mud” to terrain.

* foliage material:
1. green or black tea (roughly chopped - no teabag)
    and/or
2. leaves (baked and stamped)
    and/or
3. freeze-dried parsley and/or marjoram (stamped)

* low vegetation material:
- wood shavings (colored)
- tuft of grass material (long static grass glued with wood glue drops)

On top of that forest soil / jungle ground apply your plants and trees.

Pics or it didn't happen

d2650437534da5a8a404f78b32ccf6fa.jpg

But first I need the earth jungle ground - but now idea whats best? Your help is needed!