Philamilapeed

Looking for Non-Standard Terrain Ideas

35 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. So I've been on a bit of a terrain-making kick lately as a friend of mine recently acquired a laser cutting tool. I've designed several buildings, walkways, etc. to fill out a rather standard urban board, but I find I'm displeased with the aesthetics and effort since there's so much good-looking stuff on the market already. So now, in an attempt to get out of my current rut, I come to you folks for help.

What are some cool ideas for terrain pieces that you've played with/thought of, that don't typically make its way onto an Infinity table?

Laser cutters excel at urban terrain. Unfortunatly the other styles usually are better done by hand. The uniformity of urban pieces is what allows aser cutters to produce tables so easily. 

You can try and mix it with outdoor terrain. Below is my outdoor table and you can use the laser cutter to make several small military building and towers to make it a small outpost.

CNUQcWKm.jpg

Nice looking table! I'm not necessarily looking for ideas to produce using the laser cutter, more just that I'm bored of the stuff I've designed for the laser cutter, so I'm looking for inspiration to make some new terrain (by whatever means)

That was my second table. I had the same issue as you. We always seem to play on urban buildings. I wanted to try a more wilderness table which is why I made the one above. I would read the terrain rules for ideas. One thing we've started to do is add pockets of jungles in our cities. Its just a batch of trees but it adds diversity to the game. While I havn't tried it yet the mountainous terrain options can add more diversity. Below is fist table which is good but get repetitive.

XrLAaLEm.jpg?1

One thing I have noticed lately is that most boards are either played on battle mats or just flat tables. A great thought I had, and maybe you could do it, would be to design some modular tiles that added height to a board. An excellent example of what I mean was done by systeema (I think thats the name). I gave this same example to @Nazroth in his thread to help him develop his board. It will add more depth to a "standard" urban board. I have a few other ideas if you're interested, but got to go work now.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm always happy to get input from the community at large to help improve the quality of games for my own local community.

http://www.data-sphere.net/systema-table-2-priming-and-first-layers/

This is what I meant by adding height. Here they've used 2 foot by 2 foot boards to achieve an extra level and variation to an otherwise flat surface. Now you could keep the same 2 foot by 2 foot or you could go smaller tiles and get even more variation. Smaller tiles though means more of them.

Another thought I had recently was to make half the table with that extra level or slightly higher than that. So 2 foot by 4 foot on 4X4 table. Then playing across it, so for me the high side is on my left and my opponent the high side is on the right. Stairs would connect the high and low sides and you could still put an objective room in the middle. It would definitely be a challenge to work out what objective to aim for first.

You want non-standard? In his thread @IJW Wartraderhas been showing off some of the fungi things from an Antenociti Kickstarter, and that made me realize that we have little to no giant mushroom terrain on Infinity. Here's some inspirational pictures you may have seen elsewhere:

Spoiler

oCmvZMe.png

latest?cb=20090709070048

xNMlyhU.jpg

Also James Cameron's movie with giant native smurfs :P

This would involve approximately 0% of your laser cutter and instead would likely require carving foam or other techniques (here's an example), but i'd say it'd make the table rather different from most Infinity terrain. As a plus you get to use those gorgeous fluorescent dayglow paints/pigments :D

Some ideas that I had for terrain were:

-Automated assembly line. Think of a modern car factory or the droid factories of star wars, with lots of robot arms, cranes, conveyor belts, bubbling vats of molten metal or chemicals, tanks, boxes, half-finished products, generators and so on.

https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/67279/area14mp/image-20141215-24297-6jsbmp.jpg

-Martian outpost. With a mixture of closed habitat modules, but also things like big solar panels, truck-sized mars rovers, and lush green hydroponics domes, all in a background of red dust and rock formations.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jUDSK9jsN1w/VfUwr36kKwI/AAAAAAAABJA/wji0tmTm304/s1600/Base%2Bfrom%2BThe%2Blast%2Bdays%2Bon%2BMars.jpg

-Slum/Favela: A maze of small huts and sheds, stacked on another like boxes, with rubble, heaps of tires, rusted cars, trash, street vendors, clotheslines, and other things.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/yndwuj/picture4376988/ALTERNATES/FREE_640/jcp2014015G00321 copy.JPG

On 11/14/2016 at 10:19 PM, Noctan said:

http://www.data-sphere.net/systema-table-2-priming-and-first-layers/

This is what I meant by adding height. Here they've used 2 foot by 2 foot boards to achieve an extra level and variation to an otherwise flat surface. Now you could keep the same 2 foot by 2 foot or you could go smaller tiles and get even more variation. Smaller tiles though means more of them.

Another thought I had recently was to make half the table with that extra level or slightly higher than that. So 2 foot by 4 foot on 4X4 table. Then playing across it, so for me the high side is on my left and my opponent the high side is on the right. Stairs would connect the high and low sides and you could still put an objective room in the middle. It would definitely be a challenge to work out what objective to aim for first.

CNC does 1 foot square elevated (by 2") tiles, and Terracutter does 40mm (so 3x3 on a standard table) though not elevated.  The CNC tiles include a wide staircase option (which, to be sure, is a bit of a pain to build) and retaining wall edges, so are worth looking at for inspiration if nothing else.

I'm considering some Paradiso themed additions to the board options.  They might look a lot like the old Catachan board from back in the day.

I've seen the CNC ones. For what I had in mind for my half up half down table idea they aren't tall enough. I was thinking at least a 2 story (equivalent) drop to the lower sections. Maybe some walkways connecting the terrace level to some buildings on the lower section, but not many. It would have to be fairly dense on the lower sections to avoid sniper camping.

This would really challenge even experienced players to be aware of their surroundings and would also create unique fire lanes. Do you go hunting that sniper who's dominating the high ground or try to be sneaky in the low to avoid it? Which antennas do you aim for first? What if your opponent has the same idea? See lots of new challenges. 

Given the usual terrain suggestions for Infinity, I'd recommend 18"/40cm square terrain tiles.

One thing I haven't seen anyone try in Infinity is the Kowloon Walled City.  Instead of a favela that's spread out at ground level, imagine a favela that extends 5-10 stories vertically.

Though once you start going vertical, you do run into access issues.  How do you remember where all your models are when people can't see them easily, and how do you make the terrain accessible?

25 minutes ago, Section 9 said:

One thing I haven't seen anyone try in Infinity is the Kowloon Walled City.  Instead of a favela that's spread out at ground level, imagine a favela that extends 5-10 stories vertically.

Though once you start going vertical, you do run into access issues.  How do you remember where all your models are when people can't see them easily, and how do you make the terrain accessible?

I understand that Infinity doesn't lend itself well to multi-storied buildings, but personally haven't tried it

There's a few ways you could do Kowloon @Section 9, the first thing to consider is the footprint of the building. 2 X 2 foot you get a smallish footprint but you could have multiple levels and with a higher ceiling height, accessibility shouldn't be too difficult. You're still gona have issues but shouldn't be too bad. Would create a very cramped game though.

3 X 3 foot and onwards you'd start the need to have each level separate-able, either removable floors or just have each "floor" set up on a different table. Big problem with that is if you want to shoot/interact between floors. It would be doable but very difficult. 

I saw this one table once that hand buildings, like, on the outside of it, so that they were open in the back and you could access the inside of them easily. I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, maybe for a judge dredd game or something? Hmm...

12 hours ago, TerrorTigr said:

I saw this one table once that hand buildings, like, on the outside of it, so that they were open in the back and you could access the inside of them easily. I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, maybe for a judge dredd game or something? Hmm...

Yes, just make narrow buildings with removable sides.  These are three story examples, but it will work on taller buildings.

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/4700-tommygun-iron-works/?page=25#comment-170857

I finally got a chance to play on my table again. I think I've used it 4 times this year. The extra building helped.

vKjOHJrl.jpg

4 hours ago, Tommygun said:

Yes, just make narrow buildings with removable sides. 

Or install lots of balconies and bridges, and provide *covered* elevators or ladders in a few places.

Then invest in some mirrors, because your LOF determinations stop reaching the table edge very often once you go seriously vertical.

2 hours ago, GypsyComet said:

Or install lots of balconies and bridges, and provide *covered* elevators or ladders in a few places.

Then invest in some mirrors, because your LOF determinations stop reaching the table edge very often once you go seriously vertical.

Yep, that's what war gaming periscopes and laser pointers are for.

9 hours ago, Tommygun said:

Yes, just make narrow buildings with removable sides.  These are three story examples, but it will work on taller buildings.

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/4700-tommygun-iron-works/?page=25#comment-170857

Apparently i haven't perused the whole of your thread, must fix this egregious mistake at the nearest opportunity

3 hours ago, Tommygun said:

Yep, that's what war gaming periscopes and laser pointers are for.

Dear diary: Today i learned about the existence of wargaming periscopes, and now want one or more

One type of very, very non-standard terrain I've been kicking around was a zero-g section of a space station, using tins and other metal objects (yay, recycling) and rare earth magnets in the bases of miniatures.

Think of a larger version of the current modern ISS station, with an X-Wing star mat as a base layer, and lots of zero-g manufacturing modules, docks, etc with models able to move on the sides of the modules thanks to metal construction and magnets.

Maybe with acrylic "flying" bases for models floating in between modules?

13 hours ago, jherazob said:

Dear diary: Today i learned about the existence of wargaming periscopes, and now want one or more

I recommend getting Laser Line pointer. Its basically a laser pointer that has a small prism on the end to generate a line. Hold it above pointing down the table to draw a line from A to B, or hold it in the silhouette area of one model to see if it hits the target.  Its a lot smaller than a periscope.

Don't take the Army Painter one.

It is dirt cheap, but there are many negative reviews about it.

Take 15€ and buy a decent one

There is one other material I thought of, it's 1/4 inch/6.4mm gypsum board without any kind of paper backing.
I have seen miniature building made from this, but at the moment, I can't find any links to any.
It great for making destroyed buildings or desert mud brick structures.  It's also cheap to buy.

Balsa foam is also a great, but messy material.  (Warning: if you sand on it, do it outside with a mask on)

http://horizing.ocnk.net/page/26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOoQdTXHyk