Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zagdag

Now is the time to acquire trees!

11 posts in this topic

Xmas is over and all the chrismas town kitch is super marked down. You can get snowy forest trees for a few dollars, making the good basis of a snowy board. Get out there people anr jump on it! 

I really wish I could get non-snowy trees cheaply. This time of year you can get the snowy kind a dime a dozen. When getting the same type without the snows you need to pay an arm and leg for a tables worth. If I wasn't moving in a month I would be tempted to start a snow table. 

Even nice trees really aren't that expensive, relative to other terrain products made for this game. You can get packs of 10-24 good looking HO/O scale Noch or JTT trees on ebay anywhere from $16-$26 (there are also quite a few cheaper/lower quality trees from chinese suppliers in the 3"-5" range). Slap those on some cheap 50mm/60mm bases, and you're covering a pretty big footprint for $20-$30. Spread those across larger homemade area terrain bases, and coverage gets even better/cheaper (for cheap/quick, in the past I've used irregular shapes cut out of sheets of green fun foam, then flocked with grass).

I bet that with a little bit of work (maybe a soak in the sink), those Lemax christmas trees can be de-flocked, and then re-flocked with a better material (Woodland Scenics Fine Turf works really well, just pick the color you like best). They're sort of an odd shape too (I think they're supposed to be Cedar trees), so maybe some trimming before flocking if you want to go for a spruce or fir look. Just keep in mind, that while you're getting a lot of trees, you may not be getting as many usable trees (if I recall, over half the bag is the extremely tiny out of scale size), and you're putting in more time making them look good.

Unless it is a plantation farm (and given terraforming perhaps most of them should be), trees range in sizes, so I find the little ones extremely useful to clump together in little stands that break up low level LOF.

I think the snowed trees can be de-snowed with hot water, though it might take *really* hot water.

Alternately just line 'em up and re-spray them green with the snow in place.  Alien world and all...

I just used em as is and slapped a coat of gun metal on some light boxes (prefabs), nerf gun muzzels (as drilling rigs), and garnish with cargo containers. Boom, snow table for ~$30. Even if you can't use them for most terrain,  its kinda hard to resist the cheapness. 

Another cheap tree method: craft stores sell this stuff in the fake flowers section that is essentially a flock ribbon. Its made to look like moss but come in a roll 3 inches or so wide and a few feet long. I have made some cool looking trees by cutting of small patches and laying them over a tree armature. Its cheap, green, and doesn't shed as much as flock. Ill post picks if folk are interested. The effect is more savanna than endor. 

16 hours ago, zagdag said:

Ill post picks if folk are interested.

Yes, please, trying to trace the exact name and any local avaliability.

The brand is Panacea. Its called Moss Roll. Here is one that is not quite finished. Old haramaki for scale. The armature (trunk) is fake sticks that were originally covered in fall leaves. 

20161231_130434_zpsya06cyim.jpg

20161231_130102_zpsf3ke8bb6.jpg

Could you please post some link to what kind of tree you find so cheaply?

These kind 

http://m.kmart.com/lemax-village-collection-bristle-tree-set-of-4/p-009W717925110003P

Bristle trees is one term I have heard before. This link is for a small batch but you can usually find sets of 20 or so in varried heights for a deep discount one bag will do you for a forest. 

From there either use felt or painted foam core for bases to deliniate areas of rough terrain or place the trees individually and have them block LOS as they do naturally. You can rule shots through the trees as Low Vis, and give cover t models in b2b with the snow covered clump. If I happen to be at a store over the next few days and see a bag, i will send a pick. 

As fr where to buy them, the craftstores tend to have smaller boxes of them while he big box stores more often have the bulk bags of 20-25 trees. Those are the ones you want. Be quick though, since most places ditch that stock within a week or two of xmas. 

Around here, those trees went on sale early december (pre-xmas) and a couple of local players cleaned out several local stores of them.
Then they told the rest of the local group they were on sale (but out of stock).

I have enough cypress and pine trees (brother-in-law is into model trains, and his mate runs a store catering to that hobby.  I get a discount on my terrain stuff, so scored a couple of hundred trees almost 9 years ago now.).