Arachas

New Painting Support Group (NPSG): January Edition

147 posts in this topic

Yesss, your favorite excuse for painting minis is back for 2017!

December winners: Osirisblue & Ningu.

New Painting Support Group Rules

1. Post a picture of an unpainted model you pledge to paint.
  2. Paint it and post your proof. PICS or it DID NOT happen. ;)
  3. Rinse and repeat as much as you like.
  4. For each model you enter at Silhouette size S1 or S2, you get one ticket into the raffle. An S3 or S4 model is worth two tickets. S5 and up is worth three tickets.
  5. At the beginning of the next month, a winner two winners! are drawn from the raffle.

If you want to bring in something that you started on last month but didn't finish, it's perfectly fine to bring it again now!

Prizes, you say?

The January NPSG is once again proudly sponsored by:

Shae-Konnit Games

cropped-shaekonnitav2-300x300.jpg

Shae's pledged another €30 gift voucher for his website. Nice!

Also returning is:

Systema Gaming

FB_icon.png

Their contribution is especially awesome this month.

From Systema-owner Primoz Pirs:

This month's prize will be an Infinity templates and token set. All 3 templates with custom engraving, if desired, and a set of orders (10 regular, 5 irregular, 5 impetuous, 1 lt order and 4 command tokes).

Check out Systema's acrylics over here to get an idea of what you could bring home by painting some minis this month!

How cool is that?!

If you want to bring in something that you started on last month but didn't finish, it's perfectly fine to bring it again now!

First pledge for new year Bulleteer, Pathfinder and 3 Santiago Knight

pledge 1.jpg

I'm in. Been watching the awesome painting on these threads for a while and decided to get involved. This will be my first ever entry. Starting a new Morat Army and will be looking to push my use of directional light. It will an alternative colour scheme using purple and blue (hopefully will look better than it sounds. I'd base coated his face before I remembered to take the initial picture. The photo quality will improve but since this is just a black base coat I hope this is suitable. 

rsz_morat.jpg

Going to keep rolling with my Yu Jing pledge. Green ones are models completed as of 12/31, going to see what I can do on the rest this month!

Q76bOsal.jpg

Also, going to try and finish my Guijia... it's so close! Here's the before.

TSTDk9kl.jpg

So the Imperial Army are coming along nicely, but I think I'm going to aim to get some of my Combined Army done this month. Got an idea to try and make them look heroic, in spite of the generally rather malevolent and/or gribbly sculpts. I'm thinking the Umbra Legate could be a fun challenge on that score....

z1wEmiy.jpg 

If I can make some headway on these then I'll aim to get this little bunch of Pan-O finished off (and possibly the Jotums that's in the post), and then maybe dig into Yu Jing again :)

asKrMeE.jpg

h3rARSf.jpg

6 minutes ago, dawfydd said:

So the Imperial Army are coming along nicely, but I think I'm going to aim to get some of my Combined Army done this month. Got an idea to try and make them look heroic, in spite of the generally rather malevolent and/or gribbly sculpts. I'm thinking the Umbra Legate could be a fun challenge on that score....

z1wEmiy.jpg 

I had thought about something similar. A less evil looking combined army force... really curious to see how this goes.

1 hour ago, Pariahrob said:

@dawfyddthat's a mighty pledge right there!

I don't think anyone has pledged something of that size before.

@Pariahrobit's giving me flashbacks to my old all-metal all-the-time Imperial Guard armies.

(Worryingly, I started painting Infinity in December 2014. As it stands the only faction I now own no models for at all is Tohaa. Everything else I've at least 300 points, and only are the Combined Army unpainted....) 

@Golem2Godgood thing I didn't assemble the Zhanshi SWC box or the other three remotes?

And no guarantee I'll get it all painted, but go big or go home I guess...

@dawfyddAh fond memories. I had 2000 point praetorian guard army all in metal. I bought them as a special edition boxed army and took an age to complete. 

The infinity minis are a joy to paint but still glad there aren't too many. That said I've not started my haqqislam or aleph yet. 

Soon, I hope...

A whole model done already and to a high standard! I was feeling good having finished a head and torso. Well played Sir. 

I went for a face similar to those Japanese monkey's who live in the hot springs. This has made the face more pink than red but I've always liked those little guys. 

p_20161230_200747-01.jpg

Next up I will focus on making the directional lighting from the rear right look as realistic as possible. 

36 minutes ago, Icarium said:

A whole model done already and to a high standard! I was feeling good having finished a head and torso. Well played Sir. 

I went for a face similar to those Japanese monkey's who live in the hot springs. This has made the face more pink than red but I've always liked those little guys. 

p_20161230_200747-01.jpg

Next up I will focus on making the directional lighting from the rear right look as realistic as possible. 

Great job !

Nice work.  And Congrats to the winners.

So, I think I'll pledge the rest of the Yu Jing box, minus the Zuyong which already has paint on it, and the 3rd Zhanshi, which I just finished (and already had paint on it)

k05Pd6X.jpg

Ninja, Hsien and tiger.  Got a whole bottle of orange paint, and really nothing else to use it on.    So what the heck, eh?

8 hours ago, Icarium said:

I like it. The face looks very similar to your icon. You succeed in making the Morat look like the monkey.

Also did you know that Morats are based of off the oni? So picking a Japanese monkey for the skin color was a good choice.

I'll join with an Intruder + FastPanda + Cybermsk marker and a Reaktion Zond

20170103_183740.jpg

Updated the first post with priiiizzzzeeesssss!!!

My pledge so far. 3 grunts and a Marauder. Keeping it small at first since it looks like a busy month.

well i cannot for the life of me get the link to work at the moment, ill give it a go in a bit. 

IMG_4954.JPG

First pledge of the month, batch painting my remaining fusiliers and Bipandra!

DSC_0726_zpsfhokqjfn.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit

Some additions to Januar's pledge and some progress: 

kbLrl4uajmTdGiPHSXRjG6rHiXIENauJBzrsN8gr

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated. Definately motivated me to put some time in yesterday. I didn't know the Morats were based upon the Oni but good to know. 

More progress made, I have finished the 'light' side of the armour and started working on the 'dark' side. Previously I have always just applied highlights in a random fashion with no real thought to direction. It's amazing the impact it has on a miniature when you make an effort to include light direction. I've been having some trouble with powdery white paint for the final highlights which is frustrating but overall happy with it so far. 

p_20170102_204627-01.jpg

p_20170102_204618-01.jpg

p_20170102_204634-01.jpg

Back to work today so progress will slow down significantly. :(