Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
curiouser

Suppressive Fire at a target beyond 24" what happens?

Question

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get an answer to some rules questions I have. I will post them in seperate topics in case someone looks them up later (I did a quick search and although this has probably been answered before, I couldn't find it).

If a trooper in Suppressive Fire declares a BS Attack ARO with Suppressive Fire at a model beyond its 24" range I gather the trooper in Suppressive Fire is considered to perform an Idle.

One of the cancellation clauses in Suppressive Fire is "The trooper declares an ARO other than a BS Attack using Suppressive Fire".

So because the Suppressive Fire model performs Idle instead of Suppressive Fire, is its Suppressive Fire State cancelled?

5 answers to this question

The rules for BS Attack declaration state:

If the target is farther from the attacker than the maximum Range value of the BS Weapon, piece of Equipment or Special Skill, then the BS Attack fails automatically (the Order is spent, Disposable weapons are used up, etc.).

So the attack simply fails since it was out of range.  This doesn't cancel the state, the attack simply has no effect.

Also, "Idle" is not an ARO action. It's a short skill that can only be performed in your active turn. But yes, the effect is that the attack fails, the same as if I'd tried to shoot a pistol at something 30" away. The action just fails. 

20 hours ago, Durandal said:

the attack simply has no effect.

What about shooting AROs? Do they still get the -3 for shooting at SF, or not since they're out of range?

44 minutes ago, Pierzasty said:

What about shooting AROs? Do they still get the -3 for shooting at SF, or not since they're out of range?

No they don't. Pretty sure that is either in the FAQ or it got forum FAQ'd at some point. The -3 is only for FTF rolls and if the supp fire model fails its declaration, there isn't one.

2 minutes ago, curiouser said:

No they don't. Pretty sure that is either in the FAQ or it got forum FAQ'd at some point. The -3 is only for FTF rolls and if the supp fire model fails its declaration, there isn't one.

OK thanks, I'll look it up.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0