Followers 0
Abd Al-Azrad

Red veil, operation icestorm, or two army boxes

Best choice for a small infinity army?   5 members have voted

1. 1. Best choice

• Operation icestorm
    • red veil
    • Two army boxes.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this topic, I wasn't honestly sure where it should go so I just placed it here.

So lately I've been clearing out my old miniatures in an attempt to get a little extra cash. My friend and I like playing infinity and I was thinking of just keeping a couple of small armies for us both to play . I was wondering whether yall thought red veil or icestorm were better for a general introduction to the game? Or if it might just be better to ask my friend what army he wants to play and grab a couple of the small army boxes instead?

I bought both red veil and icestorm, and for the army that I wanted to play I went out and bought the army box for them. I felt that gave the best variety of models to expand from in terms of cheerleaders and elites. Not being predictable in terms of troop selection is important from game to game!

I suppose it also boils down to what you consider a small army to be. My understanding is that red veil/icestorm have armies that are around 170 points, and if you wanted to play full games, you would need to keep around 300-400 points worth of models so you can have some variety. 

I don't have red veil, but I assume it's comparable to icestorm, which is an awesome introduction to the game. It chunks out most of the basic rules across seven matches that each add a couple of manageable elements. Plus the models are fantastic.

Get both Ice Storm and Red Veil. That gives you four armies to try out. If you don't want both then decide which army you like the looks of the most. If you want the most bang for your buck on a single army then the Tohaa 300 point box is just the best deal in Infinity. But seriously, get the miniatures you like the looks of the best. Armies are balanced well enough that if you go for looks you will still have just as good a chance at winning as anyone else.

10 hours ago, Cothel said:

If you want the most bang for your buck on a single army then the Tohaa 300 point box is just the best deal in Infinity.

Do I detect a bit of bias here, Cothel? ;) The Onyx Task Force is also a really solid 300 points. As much as it pains me to say, if you want a full army, steer clear of the USAriadna big box. While it's a great jumping off point if you want to start a USARF collection, the models included are pretty cheap, points-wise, so you'll only get roughly 150 points out of the whole box. Fine if you're looking for a small collection to play quick, low-points games with, but if you want to get a full army in one fell swoop, it's not the answer. However, it does come with more of the cardstock terrain, which is surprisingly good, especially if you reinforce it and make it a little more durable (one trick is to take the little brown cardboard inner boxes that models come in and stuff them inside the larger buildings - they fit perfectly and make the terrain much more solid.) I haven't taken too close of a look at Red Veil, but I bought Icestorm when it came out, and the models inside are ace. I wound up selling off the Nomads to a buddy when he started a couple months ago, and he's been rocking almost all of them in every game he plays. Red Veil does have a different set of terrain, which I'll probably pick up later, but as far as models/factions and learning the game goes, they're probably a wash. Both are really good choices. 

Another piece of advice: Icestorm, Red Veil, and army starter boxes are great for building up to around 150 points. Regular Infinity isn't entirely at its best at low point values, and having 6 or 7 models on a 4x4 board is a bit oversized. Look into the Recon rules put together by Guerrilla Miniatures Gaming. They're designed to be played at 150 points on a 3x3 or 2x3 (which is conveniently the size of the playmats that come in Red Veil and Icestorm) and they're intended to be a good bridge between the big box scenarios and full ITS play. Ask anyone on this forum, and they will tell you that the best way to learn Infinity is to take it slow, baby steps. Start at 150 points, then after you've got a solid handle on the rules and that scope, move up to 200, then 250, then finally 300. If you dive into a full 300 point ITS game right out the gate, you'll be confused and overwhelmed. Take it slow, and you'll be much better prepared when you hit the big leagues, and you'll have a lot more fun.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Do I detect a bit of bias here, Cothel? ;)

Maybe.....

I own everything Tohaa and recommend them. I also own Icestorm and recommend that as well.

Yes, but Tohaa don't have werewolves. Just sayin'. JUST SAYIN'.