Edster

First steps to infinity - Haqq Attack finished aleph started

58 posts in this topic

Looks good. This is your first forum post ever?

@Vaulsc Haha yep! I've never ever had a Facebook either :o 

thanks - I like your YouTube videos too, keep up the good work mate 

Well... I wish my first post was about something so clean!  Well done!! Keep upthe good work!

Nice job on the unique paint schemes, your miniatures are looking sharp!

Great colour schemes and nice painting. The purple PanO are particularly cool. Look great!

Very nice!

Good bright colors, clean paintjobs.

My constructive criticism would be to increase your contrast between shadows and highlights, particularly on your skin tones (they look really flat, hope it's just the pics)

@Section 9 @Pariahrob thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. 

I totally agree about the faces, they're kinda intimidating to me as they're so tiny. Ive been trying to do the eyes and then flesh washing and clean up and leaving it as is. They look quite dead you're absolutely right.

The latest minis I'm working on I've started to spend more time on the faces and it's slowly paying off. 

The trouble I find is when I try and glaze the small area such as cheeks with a red colour, sometimes there is a water mark. I guess it's down to experience learning the consistency. I've started using glaze fluid too which is an enormous help.

Any glazing tutorials anyone can recommend will be much appreciated! 

Just a quick snap off my phone. I need to work out better lighting/photo situation! 

At least the force is slowly building up.

Im planning to have my first game this wkend with my buddy. Looking forward to playing at last! 

IMG_7877.PNG

Next up for the haq-attacks is the Khawarij from red veil. I read he was quite useful somewhere... he's a cool sculpt that's for sure.

Ive tried to use more blending and I can already see the difference. Just takes a lot longer 🙃

He needs a little touch up here and there, but I'm happy with him for now. 

Photos still on iPad - I don't have a camera. Will have to figure out the best situation for picture taking, but I hope it comes across ok for now. Any suggestions would be awesome if anyone else uses iPad/iPhone? I think natural daylight will help for a start.

cheers,

Ed

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Photos still on iPad - I don't have a camera. Will have to figure out the best situation for picture taking, but I hope it comes across ok for now. Any suggestions would be awesome if anyone else uses iPad/iPhone? I think natural daylight will help for a start.

Nice Paintjob.

The picture quality is really not bad. iPad has a good camera - depending on version. Most important for picture quality is the lighting.

I have 2 links with several tips on that

http://www.data-sphere.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1338

http://www.data-sphere.net/photographing-miniatures/

@CoveredInFish thanks mate! I have definitely improved over the past month and feel much more confident with painting.

those links are perfect! Really helpful, thanks again 👊

Robo-docs and panzerfausts... what could go wrong? 

Working on the lighting at the moment this is the best rig until the new lamps come. 

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

And these mean mother truckers... I heard they pack a punch with the visors

IMG_0049.JPG

Finally what I call the HQ units. I can see slow improvements painting so I'm looking forward to gettting going on more models. Only have three more haqq to finish then planning on YJ 

IMG_0062.JPG

Started from the bottom now we're here... the whole damn crews here! 

Im running out of minis to paint for haqq attacks so I had to order a box of Ghazis... apparently they're REALLY GOOD. They look kinda cool so I'll be into it.

After that I'll probably look at Al F and maybe a box of Jans or move on to Yu Jing... I would like to make YJ super try hard so might need more practice first.

Just wanted to add, I really hated painting the Lasiq... anyone else with me on that? I just couldn't get the detail right on the armour plates... I'll strip her one day, but it's game standard for now. Cool model and the whole mass effect thing going on, but I just really struggled on her. 

Got my first game on Saturday - 150pts recon against YJ so I have a few options made up from this bunch. I'll defo need to bring some naffs as I love their models and apparently they're good for blasting camo markers(?). Any advice would be v welcome.

Ill let let you guys know how the battle goes! 

IMG_0093.JPG

Alright Chaps if you haven't checked it out I have written up my first BATREP here. It was a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing more games.

Talking of which, I've spent the last week banging out army list after army list for my haqqs and have finally painted the whole lot of them!

i will be aiming to play a 300 point game tomorrow at Norton if I can get down there. 

Today I finished off my Ghazis and Al Fasid. I have some exciting stuff coming in the post to bolster my force and synergize... I hope... anyways, here's what I've been painting 

IMG_8237.JPG

The whole HAQQATTAK squad! I'm so excited about taking these bad boys and girls out to play! 

Had some trouble uploading images off iPhone/ iPad - can't downscale them to 2MB on those platforms and the pixels go to 72d.p.i so I have to load in using Photoshop on my Laptop. 

EDIT - Although now I'm thinking its not something I'm doing... It's not uploading my images.

Haqq_attacks

DOUBLE EDIT - I've got personal issues with loading files on here. I think Photoshop is the key for me to save JPEGs at smaller then 2MB from pictures I take. 

ANYWAYS - here's the whole Squad! 

Haqq_attacks2.jpg

Edited by Edster
Pictures not loading

Nice bases!  (Might want to stick the mosaic printout back down again, though)

The thing I do for faces in general is to not bother painting eyes at all.  I usually just leave the entire area the darkest shadow I use for skin and highlight around it, then hit the eyebrows using the side of a paintbrush.  A 28mm mini 3 feet away is the same visual size as a 6' tall human 65 yards away, you can't see eyes at that distance. 

Paintswise, I bought all 10 sets of Reaper Master Series skin tone triads and use them.  I start with the "_____ Shadow" color, give it a reddish brown wash (like the old GW Ogryn Flesh wash), go back with the "_____ Shadow" color for my first highlights, mix the "_____ Shadow" with the "_____ Skin" color 1:1 for the second highlight, straight "_____ Skin" for the third highlight, and maybe get to the "_____ Highlight" color.  If I do get to the "_____ Highlight" color, I start mixing it 2 parts "_____ Skin" to 1 part "_____ Highlight", then 1:1, then straight "_____ Highlight" (there's a big jump between the Skin and Highlight colors).  All of this is thinned with a drop or two of Glaze Medium so the paint stays where I put it.

For painting the ladies, I usually shift up a shade and start with the "_____ Skin" color instead of "_____ Shadow", as females almost always have lighter skin than guys do.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:49 PM, Section 9 said:

Nice bases!  (Might want to stick the mosaic printout back down again, though)

The thing I do for faces in general is to not bother painting eyes at all.  I usually just leave the entire area the darkest shadow I use for skin and highlight around it, then hit the eyebrows using the side of a paintbrush.  A 28mm mini 3 feet away is the same visual size as a 6' tall human 65 yards away, you can't see eyes at that distance. 

Paintswise, I bought all 10 sets of Reaper Master Series skin tone triads and use them.  I start with the "_____ Shadow" color, give it a reddish brown wash (like the old GW Ogryn Flesh wash), go back with the "_____ Shadow" color for my first highlights, mix the "_____ Shadow" with the "_____ Skin" color 1:1 for the second highlight, straight "_____ Skin" for the third highlight, and maybe get to the "_____ Highlight" color.  If I do get to the "_____ Highlight" color, I start mixing it 2 parts "_____ Skin" to 1 part "_____ Highlight", then 1:1, then straight "_____ Highlight" (there's a big jump between the Skin and Highlight colors).  All of this is thinned with a drop or two of Glaze Medium so the paint stays where I put it.

For painting the ladies, I usually shift up a shade and start with the "_____ Skin" color instead of "_____ Shadow", as females almost always have lighter skin than guys do.

Thanks @Section 9 this is useful advice. Since I am relatively new to painting I'm enjoying the progress I'm making and faces and eyes are super hard. However I'm still going to keep trying, because practice makes perfect... right? 

Most of my minis are pretty bright and  colourful at the moment so the cartoony eyes look fine. I'm going for a 'high game standard' I guess...

I do want to make a 'try hard' YJ army next, once I've finished the 'practice' haqq army. Maybe that will be the push for realism.

Good shout on the reapers I'll have to put an order in. I'm using an odd bunch of Vallejo that I've collected, not really built around skin tones - mainly sunny skin tone and warm skin tone. 

Do you guys find the glaze medium easier to use or thinner medium? The glaze certainly has its uses but I often find it can seem to run into the recesses and become almost ink like - I presume that is the purpose....

Gosh I'm really having trouble editing/ uploading pictures on here. A quick photo from Sunday's game. 

Again It was a skirmish 150pt 'shooty' game for beginners but a lot of fun. If you look closely you might see some combined hiding somewhere because unfortunately my haqqs dominated the mid field turn 2 with a spitfire and breaker rifle (sorry Josh!). 

I won't write a report as it was a friendly game and we were really learning the rules together, so a few mistakes were likely made. 

I will say that my opponent josh was a really nice dude and it was cool hanging out. I don't know if he is on the forum - will ask him next time.

Two learnings from the game -

1. The combined alien have horrendous plasma rifles!!

2. I might need to make some more scatter terrain 

IMG_0159.JPG

jamming ARO - urgh I feel so dirty 

IMG_0161.JPG

Lasiq took two HMG crits to the face - she seems to be a common target for my foes...

IMG_0160.JPG

On 2/28/2017 at 6:12 PM, Edster said:

Thanks @Section 9 this is useful advice. Since I am relatively new to painting I'm enjoying the progress I'm making and faces and eyes are super hard. However I'm still going to keep trying, because practice makes perfect... right?

Yeah, practice does make perfect.  One of these days I will get going on my civvies, since I have about 100 of the little bastards to use for painting practice...  A high-model-count fantasy or historical army will also work wonders for practice.

On 2/28/2017 at 6:12 PM, Edster said:

Do you guys find the glaze medium easier to use or thinner medium? The glaze certainly has its uses but I often find it can seem to run into the recesses and become almost ink like - I presume that is the purpose....

You may be using too much Glaze medium, I usually use one drop glaze medium per drop of paint at the most, usually 2 drops paint per drop of glaze medium.

Been on holiday for a few days and came back to find an early Xmas! 

Cool mini or not had a sale on and I scooped up some of the old blisters. 

Looking forward to trying out the Al Hawwa / Hazanut combo. Maybe leather and cyberpunk inspiration for painting. I'm still learning hacking so that will be interesting with the camo options in game. I have a ragik hacker I'm dying to take out too so it's going to get messy. 

The old sculpt Bashi Bs are not as 'cool' as the new ones but I totally love the  charm to them. I'm thinking Red or pink satins for them. For their holo echoes I'm going to create my own inspired by the awesome @Yunzhi - check out his blog in here. 

Also now I have the option for a muyib link team now too which could be cool in games. Camo trousers all round.

Ok enough noise from me - Best get cracking on the painting!! 

IMG_8420.JPG

Edited by Edster
Link to yunzhi blog