Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kreslack

Loving them Kazak's

56 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Pride of Rodina said:

See, SamboR actually has a solid point here (the bold is obviously my doing, for emphasis. It's not as awesome as described in the fluff and it kind of relies on the Scout platform to make it awesome.

Its important to remember that's the case with a lot of things in the game though, particularly as 3rd edition has the attitude of "game balance trumps fluff". Atalanta is a good example of a similar (though I suppose kind of opposite) case; the fluff paints her as one of the finest marksmen that humanity has ever produced, and yet mechanically her danger as a shooter is pretty highly due to the equipment she has rather than her as a natural marksman. There's a ton of others too. But really, as long as the end result works (And oh my does it with Scouts), it doesn't really matter.

4 hours ago, Counting_Kittens said:

Its important to remember that's the case with a lot of things in the game though, particularly as 3rd edition has the attitude of "game balance trumps fluff". Atalanta is a good example of a similar (though I suppose kind of opposite) case; the fluff paints her as one of the finest marksmen that humanity has ever produced, and yet mechanically her danger as a shooter is pretty highly due to the equipment she has rather than her as a natural marksman. There's a ton of others too. But really, as long as the end result works (And oh my does it with Scouts), it doesn't really matter.

Agreed. I'm not arguing to make them 'fluffier', but I was trying to help others understand SamboR's point of view.

Also, I think the Asawira are the best example of when the fluff clashes with game-play ;) I honestly couldn't care less if the ojotniks were closer to their fluff depiction, game-play and balance are more important to me.

Honestly, I don't see how the ojotnik's profile is less than fluffy. It's described as a modified big game rifle - so probably something akin to a .30-06 or something. Not necessarily *huge* game, no .700 Nitro Express shit going on here, but a large caliber rifle designed for hunting large game, so DAM 14 is about right. It's bolt action, so B2 is appropriate. Depending on the game being hunted (I'm thinking of things like cape buffalo vs. white tail here) having heavy bullets with good penetration would be a good idea. So if it's a gun designed for hunting big game, I'd say they got the profile about right. 

Only way it would be better suited for big game would be if it was T2.

10 hours ago, grey templar said:

Only way it would be better suited for big game would be if it was T2.

And that would be even better than DA :)

On 8.02.2017 at 8:56 AM, Sgt. Rock said:

Honestly, I don't see how the ojotnik's profile is less than fluffy. It's described as a modified big game rifle - so probably something akin to a .30-06 or something. Not necessarily *huge* game, no .700 Nitro Express shit going on here, but a large caliber rifle designed for hunting large game, so DAM 14 is about right. It's bolt action, so B2 is appropriate. Depending on the game being hunted (I'm thinking of things like cape buffalo vs. white tail here) having heavy bullets with good penetration would be a good idea. So if it's a gun designed for hunting big game, I'd say they got the profile about right. 

Seems to derive from the old Mosin-Nagant rifle (7,62x54R). Which is still pretty popular in Europe as a hunting rifle (true, low cost being a significant factor), and AFAIK it is considered adequate against any big game that happens around here (obviously, not the "African Big Five"), despite being well over an century old.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0