falsemind

Tiny Head Tim

31 posts in this topic

I picked up a taskmaster today at my friendly local gaming store and was pretty shocked when I got home: He's goddamn itty bitty. I thought I was getting a meaty S5 model but I just got  a slightly buffed brigada with a tiny damn head out of this blister. 

His arms are almost the same size, his torso IS the same size, only his legs are bigger than the brigadas... And his head is smaller! What's up with this figure?

Seriously, though, beside a headfix ( I plan on giving him brigada style antennas and build out his head size a bit), am I mistaken in thinking he is quite a bit smaller than expected, especially next to other S5 infantry like the al fassid?

His head is absolutely too small. I replaced mine instantly upon realizing it.

Took out a spare head of a Croc Man I had--- and there's no way his head would fit in the helmet. In fact, the helmet would fit inside the Croc Man's head, aside from the ears!

I have to agree, a head swap for this figure just makes sense. Spekter or Intruder head is a good choice...

I did just make the observation that next to the corrigidor starter, he looks like a monster. I wonder why they made him so compact, yet still went with S5. And, hopefully, the next one released will be the same odd size. It'd suck if the second taskmaster was much larger...

More musings than really upset about it, mind you.

Does anyone know how similar in model size the Taskmaster is to a Yan Huo? I've been trying to find a use for my Yan Huo within CA or Nomads. I removed the shoulder mounted weapons for my Overdron. With some appropriate insignia and paint scheme the rest of the Yan Huo seems like a good choice to represent a Taskmaster.  I'd prefer to use them for Gecko's but i imagine those will have a larger size discrepancy.

The taskmaster, top of base to highest point, is about 1 9/16 tall. the head is at about 1 3/8 high off base, for reference.

Taskmaster is almsot the same size as a Mobile Brigada, literally, or the Yu Jing Invincible HI. I can give you other comparison points if you need them, specifically from nomads.

Now I'm not going to discredit anyone or back the weird taskmaster. But when i noticed the discrepancy i just chalked it up to the fluff fact that S5 HI are actually obsolete or outdated suits and that the ARM5 S2 HI are more technologically superior. And that Nomads being not far behind Pan'O and Yu Jing in tech level means that their clunky S5 armour are actually slimmer and closer to S2 to show their technical skills. That being said it does look weird, but that's the black labs for you.....

(Remember that the only S5 HI in Yu Jing (Yan Huo) is S5 not because it's outdated, but because it needs to be bulky to carry the TAG level armaments that it does. And Pan'O don't use S5 because all their super heavies are S2.)

Imho it's a problem due to silhuette size.

clearly they were sculpted to be bigger than a brigada, thicker arm/legs and a not so armoured head big as a brigada.

Probably the sculpt came out a little too high for the silhuette, so they resized it to match the silhuette. (please notice that S5 is just 5mm higher then S2, but 15mm wider)

so you basically get a S5 model of something that was close to S6, hence the small head compared to brigada.

The S5 silhuette is a bit off for Super Heavy HI. it's ok for Heavy REM i guess, but not for HI.

A silhuette for super heavy HI should be something like 50mm high for 35mm wide, so they are clearly bigger than S2, but still proportionate with a human figure.

I've assembled and painted it too.
m2StkGp.jpg
It  does look kind of small compared directly to Al Fasid, but when I compare it to the S5 Marker we use it's the right size so there's technically nothing wrong with it in height or bulk. Put it on top of a scenic base and all of a sudden it rightfully dominates the table over Moiras, morlocks, Crazy Koalas near it, and looks comparable in size to Mobile Brigadas. The pose makes him/her look hunched over, but implies if it was standing upright it would be taller than Brigadas. Plus, overall it's a neat looking model, although I'm inclined to agree that the head does kind of look out of place, not so much because it's small but because to me it looks like it belongs with Tohaa or some kind of Batroid and doesn't look in line with what humans wear.

This thread, along with the suit of the Taskmaster, makes me think of Earthworm Jim...

Hmm. his blaster would fit more with an assault pistol, else I'd build one to have holstered...

On 07/03/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jujoji said:

Does anyone know how similar in model size the Taskmaster is to a Yan Huo? I've been trying to find a use for my Yan Huo within CA or Nomads. I removed the shoulder mounted weapons for my Overdron. With some appropriate insignia and paint scheme the rest of the Yan Huo seems like a good choice to represent a Taskmaster.  I'd prefer to use them for Gecko's but i imagine those will have a larger size discrepancy.

The Yan Huo is very similar in size without the guns. 

On 08/03/2017 at 11:10 AM, Darkvortex87 said:

Probably the sculpt came out a little too high for the silhuette, so they resized it to match the silhuette.

The whole point of silhouette rules was to break free of strict size constrains for miniatures. Which they used to silly levels sometimes, like Umbra Samaritans being S2. :laugh:

uExGHkv.jpg

As pointed, Taskmaster pose is to blame in part. Someone changed it a bit:

Scarhandpainting-Infinity-Nomads-Swast-T

And also the head:

Scarhandpainting-Infinity-Nomads-Swast-T

To great effect, IMO.

On 07/03/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jujoji said:

IMG]vjIOztJ.jpg

Thanks @chaos11. Seeing them side by side is perfect. I can make those models work as Taskmasters.

I am reluctant to do a head swap as I really like the bull horns, however I agree the head appears undersized.  I also wish you could see his eyes without picking up the model and looking at it from below.  I am tempted to try to sculpt a head out of green stuff at some point.

2 hours ago, Blimps said:

I am reluctant to do a head swap as I really like the bull horns, however I agree the head appears undersized.  I also wish you could see his eyes without picking up the model and looking at it from below.  I am tempted to try to sculpt a head out of green stuff at some point.

I am currently resculpting the head of mine. Just a thin layer of green stuff over what I have here to make it mimic the brigada helmet. I reason that the arms and legs look like buffed up brigada limbs, and the torso's share a lot in common, so why not? I figure giving it different ears (I'm considering antenna on one side for assymmetry to keep in with the arms and shoulders being different) and slightly different profile shapes will make for a nice, similar head feel. 

Also not doing 'eyes' on the helmet. I love that many bakunin armored figures have smooth or inhuman shapes to their helmets.

It's like the Wildcats - just a tiny mexican inside. People are of different sizes you know. My friend has a head the size of an watermelon so I would know :D

Scarhand Painting's repose of this unit (the one in the pics above) is frigging ace, as are all his swaps and reposes.

I'll be doing the same thing with the head, either a Grenzer or the spare helmeted SpecOps head. The horned Taskmaster head might go one one of my all-scavenged-armor Riot Grrls.

More Headswaps!

20161107_000010_zps8phexgtg.jpg

Yes, I love that head as well, Killionaire, but I can't place it. What did you use?

Ah, that head's from another game. 'Codebreaker' helmet from Relic Knights. Thought it looked sufficiently anime for the Taskmaster. I was also thinking of using Mad Puppet's 'Cyber Insect' heads, since those were like futuristic helmets, but perhaps that'll wait for the other taskmaster sculpts.

Mad Puppet? Or Puppetswar? And whichever they are, how do they fit with normal bodies sizewise?

Leopold Magnus could also make for a good head :)

Static could be a nice tohaamon or with minimal conversion a mascott for some hero :)