Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XiMeng

Is that a Daofei?

48 posts in this topic

That's going to be impossible to transport :(

5 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

Magnet under the base and in the carrier.

And now I want to buy both Beyond boxes... dammit, I don't have the $$ to do that!

8 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

Much easier once you cut the HMG off to make it a universal proxy

It's mostly that I'm using foam case to carry, so while magnets solve everything, foam isn't magnetic and put some restrictions on miniatures in order to protect them. Also the reason why Yojimbo and the monks don't ever have straight weapons.

Assuming that they stand vertically in the foam, you can get a small piece of steel to Gorilla-glue to the bottom of the foam tray (you're going to need tin snips or a Dremel to cut it, though).

Nah, it's the wrong thickness. Typically I use a Kaiser Rushford 1/2 case to carry my troops (and a small fishing bait bag to carry all the tokens). The KR case has two 3x6 sheets and 1 sheet with 2x TAG, a whole bunch of REMs. The sheets for infantry have them lying down, so making a custom slot for the Daofei is... less of a problem by cutting into the sides. However, that makes it less adaptable.

You know. 1st world problems. But the arms spread pose is bad in general.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:21 AM, Spleen said:

Much easier once you cut the HMG off to make it a universal proxy

Can probably swap the forearm with the Zuyong Multi...  Not like I really need a second Zuyong HMG, though.

uhm...dunno...argh...I must admit I don't love it....lately yu jing releases are bit "meh" for me :( might be the fact they all stem from the same base with some variations...but the cape and the chainmail-ish thing...no please! (same goes for the guilang sniper...zanshi with different helmet and furry coat? the old combi rifle one still wins for the pose!)

12 hours ago, Section 9 said:

Can probably swap the forearm with the Zuyong Multi...  Not like I really need a second Zuyong HMG, though.

Eh, I'm about as likely to use the plain Dao Fei Multi Rifle as the HMG to be honest, and I'm fairly convinced the Hacker will be the next Dao Fei to come out (and potentially the final one) so I'm in no rush to try to create a dodgy pseudo hacker Dao Fei who won't have any of the hallmarks of a real hacker.

9 hours ago, det said:

uhm...dunno...argh...I must admit I don't love it....lately yu jing releases are bit "meh" for me :( might be the fact they all stem from the same base with some variations...but the cape and the chainmail-ish thing...no please! (same goes for the guilang sniper...zanshi with different helmet and furry coat? the old combi rifle one still wins for the pose!)

If I'm honest, I wish he could've kept his ponytail. I guess the ponytail thing was co-opted by Imperial Service. It's weird, cuz it looks like he has a slot for the ponytail on his model!

UbOlCdq.png

23 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

Nah, it's the wrong thickness. Typically I use a Kaiser Rushford 1/2 case to carry my troops (and a small fishing bait bag to carry all the tokens). The KR case has two 3x6 sheets and 1 sheet with 2x TAG, a whole bunch of REMs. The sheets for infantry have them lying down, so making a custom slot for the Daofei is... less of a problem by cutting into the sides. However, that makes it less adaptable.

You know. 1st world problems. But the arms spread pose is bad in general.

I used a KR Case with my Malifaux and had to do that for Lady Justice.  It isn't that bad other than taking up 3 slots.

I actually like the new Daofei. The old one is well... old. That and I never liked the look of it. The new one brings it in line with the current HI look. The one minor thing I don't like is the camo capes on the shoulders. Looks like he put a camo jacket on then put on his heavy armor next...

19 hours ago, det said:

I'm with you man. 

They also removed the cyber-braid :(:(

7 minutes ago, Solodice said:

I actually like the new Daofei. The old one is well... old. That and I never liked the look of it. The new one brings it in line with the current HI look. The one minor thing I don't like is the camo capes on the shoulders. Looks like he put a camo jacket on then put on his heavy armor next...

The cloak definitely doesn't look like it has any continuity unlike the Hsien one. Which is a real disappointment, it feels very tacked on. 

And why is 10 out of 11 resculpted core yu jing heavies all dudes? Some of the most iconic were ladies, and amazing models. Yu Jing heavy infantry corps are becoming a real sausage fest.

7 minutes ago, alphz said:

I'm with you man. 

They also removed the cyber-braid :(:(

The cloak definitely doesn't look like it has any continuity unlike the Hsien one. Which is a real disappointment, it feels very tacked on. 

I don't even really know what the hole-y part is intended to be. Chainmail of some sort? If so, fucking why? It looks like they're intended to be represented as the same piece, sewn together. If it's not metal, the question remains, what is that intended to even be?

1 hour ago, Keyrott said:

I don't even really know what the hole-y part is intended to be. Chainmail of some sort? If so, fucking why? It looks like they're intended to be represented as the same piece, sewn together. If it's not metal, the question remains, what is that intended to even be?

Camo net?  (only thing I can think of...)

33 minutes ago, Section 9 said:

Camo net?  (only thing I can think of...)

Looks like a ghille net, something he can add foliage to so his silhouette is broken up. The shoulder flaps are there for the same reason, disruption of the soldiers outline against the terrain. 

Why is he orange? Because it looks cool and adds cohesiveness to the studio collection, it makes it instantly recognisable as Yu Jing, feel free to paint yours in full camo. 

25 minutes ago, Col said:

Looks like a ghille net, something he can add foliage to do his silhouette is broken up. The shoulder flaps are there for the same reason, disruption of the soldiers outline against the terrain. 

Why is he orange? Because it looks cool and adds cohesiveness to the studio collection, it makes it instantly recognisable as Yu Jing, feel free to paint yours in full camo. 

Woah, as stupid as it sounds I had never even considered painting Yu Jing in any kind of camouflage. That could TOTALLY BE SICK AS HELL DUDE I WANNA DO IT

I assume the armour probably has some kind of mimetic technology in it. Much like Tiger Soldier armour does.

From what I understand, pretty much the majority of the armor (barring Ariadna and some of Haq) is capable of changing colors to an extent. What color schemes you see are the parade colors. Actual combat mode is less ostentatious.

Though I suspect ISS tends to flash their colors more for intimidation factor. 

I actually asked the peeps at CB about this.

Here's a direct cut and paste of their response:

It's mostly reinforced ceramic, but that's not really important, as color and brightness of the armor's surface can be adjusted to fit with the environment. The yellow color is just the default color, used in parades or low intensity conflict areas, in such situations brightness can be customized, but when in combat a matte finish of the surface is activated and a low profile pattern (color depends on the environment) is adopted.

I think this tidbit is in the core rulebook (or at least was in the second edition).

Also, I admit this pose and kit isn't the best, though it seems like they put the less desirable one out first. I'm also not crazy about the 'camo net,' but I think that can be painted over to minimize it. I checked the unboxing and it is indeed sculpted and not painted on. Anyway, call me when its the MULTI rifle or spitfire version!

9 hours ago, vorthain said:

Also, I admit this pose and kit isn't the best, though it seems like they put the less desirable one out first. I'm also not crazy about the 'camo net,' but I think that can be painted over to minimize it. I checked the unboxing and it is indeed sculpted and not painted on. Anyway, call me when its the MULTI rifle or spitfire version!

Yeah, I really would have preferred the hacker or Spitfire.  Spitfire's not a difficult conversion, since you can get a spitfire out of the Guifeng SpecOps blister.  Multirifle needs some more work, either stealing the forearm from the Zuyong or the loose combi from a Ninja.