AdmiralJCJF

Strikezone: Wotan Is Coming!

20 posts in this topic

So we've got a glimpse at Strikezone: Wotan from the seminar at Rumble on Route 66.

Wotan%20Title_zps3kj3q65h.png

This online campaign will, once again, be a collaboration between Corvus Belli and Beasts of War (using the BoW online system that we were playtesting last year).

Wotan%20Ships_zpsqru3fjsa.png

It's going to be a space based campaign focused around one of the "gates" in the Paradiso system, to be precise the one which leads to the Svalarhima.

Ariadnan troops are being used to inspect ships travelling through the Wotan blockade, a crisis kicks off when Irmandinos discover Shasvaasti aboard a Nomad ship (don't try to out smuggle Irmandinos). 

Wotan%20Spacegate_zpswg3ddpef.png

Rather than an island the map will consist of multiple space platforms and capital ships. Ariadna will start with one half of an O-12 customs orbital as their turf, the other half is under the command of Aleph. It looks as if all the other Human Sphere factions start with one "territory" while the Nomads and PanOceania have two.

There's at least one new mission: Kill Cage and some missions will be time sensitive, combat areas will close with their results fixed and others will open up. There will also be other "special events" which will impact on the ships, their missions and the games played there/points scored there. All of the dates will be known in advance and pre-planning and co-ordination based on these is both expected and encouraged.

Wotan%20O12_zpswoerpslv.png

Wotan%20Haqqislam_zps0hru5gne.png

Wotan%20Nomads_zpswyakwfyv.png

Wotan%20PanOceania_zpsq6huf6co.png

Wotan%20Yu%20Jing_zpsgp8fvbut.png

The map will evolve and change during the campaign with the addition of new ships and areas, including a Tohaa ship which will enter later and an ALEPH zone which isn't open initially, and there will be ongoing impact within the Infinity world based on the outcome of the campaign.

Wotan%20Blockade_zps6hlrdimp.png

We also know that CB have experimented with alternative terrain rules, including giving movement bonuses to 0G units rather than penalising the movement of units without the trait and that the overall scoring system is "new and improved from the previous version".

A lot of effort has been put into ensuring that pure numbers aren't the deciding factor in this campaign so that the factions with fewer players aren't significantly disadvantaged. It won't be a purely win/loss basis however, and there will likely be incentives built in to encourage the reporting of defeats (well reported) as much as victories, with a well reported loss likely contributing as much as a poorly reported win.

The campaign will evolve over three major "stages", which will drive the cutoff dates for the missions/zones and the addition of the missions/zones coming in. There aren't solid dates yet as the technical issues are still being worked on, but somewhere around May for the initial launch is expected at this point.

I can't wait!

Is there anything else we know so far?

I can't see the pictures :(

But I'm curious for the new campaign and hoping to see more of the ships and spacestations :)

I did a "Spaceship Boarding" game last week (with Spacehulk tiles) and it was really cool (and incredible brutal xD)

But I'm still unsatisfied with everyone having nice spaceports whil haqqislam just got a rock :P

Need to paint those Santiagos fast!

I'm very curious how the results of campaigns will affect fluff/game. 

I've updated the OP with additional details from the various sources @bostria has spoken to about the campaign.

And I have added my own screenshots from the Rumble seminar so that the source doesn't disappear again.

Nothing for Tohaa? I mostly play Ariadna and my Merovingians or Rangers are more than willing to kick ass in space but it seems strange to not have them included somehow.

Anybody got any suggestions on somewhere I can put the images so that they can be shared here?

Clearly linking from my own dropbox doesn't work.

Just now, AdmiralJCJF said:

Anybody got any suggestions on somewhere I can put the images so that they can be shared here?

I use photobucket when the forums get wonky, you can insert images from the URLs it generates.

49 minutes ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

I've updated the OP with additional details from the various sources @bostria has spoken to about the campaign.

And I have added my own screenshots from the Rumble seminar so that the source doesn't disappear again.

Please update photos as they are not visible. 

On 19.03.2017 at 2:56 AM, AdmiralJCJF said:

We also know that CB have experimented with alternative terrain rules, including giving movement bonuses to 0G units rather than penalising the movement of units without the trait and that the overall scoring system is "new and improved from the previous version".

Santiagos 6-4 MOV  ? Throw Joan 2.0 in and you have at least 6-2 MOV 5 man link team .... (on the other hand this link team will cost you both kidneys and one eye)...

10 minutes ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

Imgur is your friend. 

Just to recap (and to properly prepare in advance)

Missions

O12 [Ariadna side]

- The Armory

Haqqislam

- Shootout

Nomads

- Supremacy

- Kill Cage [NEW]

PanOceania

- Capture and Protect

- Comms Center

Yu Jing

- Transmission Matrix

Aleph's side at the O12 Orbital starts locked and Tohaa will join later on.  Combined Army already stirred the pot and has all of us at each other's throats, so well played in advance.

Is shootout a direct Spanish-to-English variant name for Firefight?

Or might that be a new mission too?

Gotta admit, I'm pretty cold on the whole online campaign after how last year's went.

That said, it looks like CB is trying addressing those complaints and trying some new and interesting things. I'll probably drop a shit ton of time into this... again.

2V+!

Lord knows that I have even less time now, with a second baby in the house.

But hopefully they'll significantly drag down the maximum number of games an individual can post per week.

Glad to see Transmission Matrix in the mix here. That should cause some serious hacking-war action, which is going to be even crazier with Alive around

8 hours ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

But hopefully they'll significantly drag down the maximum number of games an individual can post per week.

That would be a very, very good idea.