the huanglong

Major Lunah, Ex- Aristeiai Sniper for Imperial Service

43 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Stormygeddon said:

No bloat from Close combat or other debatable use skills like AD or grenades on a sniper.

Some sort of defensive MOD like mimetism, maybe even full camo

BS 13

MSV 1 or 2. 

Is that so much to ask?

No, but we're not talking about Knauf. :xp:

Well, the concept art shows her using uniform parts (shin guards, trousers and I guess maybe the tunic too) I've recently seen on the Red Veil Touareg sniper. 

Note that parts of the trousers and tunic match the design for the inner side of her cape / cloak (and to my eyes, the pattern is damn close to Kryptek camouflage pattern actually :P just) more brown than the real Kryptek's Banshee variant). I'd say Mimetism is a given, and wouldn't be excluding a full-blown TO Camo. 

...as if the IS didn't had TO Camo Sniper Ninjas already...

6 minutes ago, Errhile said:

Well, the concept art shows her using uniform parts (shin guards, trousers and I guess maybe the tunic too) I've recently seen on the Red Veil Touareg sniper. 

Note that parts of the trousers and tunic match the design for the inner side of her cape / cloak (and to my eyes, the pattern is damn close to Kryptek camouflage pattern actually :P just) more brown than the real Kryptek's Banshee variant). I'd say Mimetism is a given, and wouldn't be excluding a full-blown TO Camo. 

...as if the IS didn't had TO Camo Sniper Ninjas already...

The cloak is snakeskin, according to Carlos at Rumble. 

A Viral sniper with TO our Camouflage would be really ace, especially without the Infiltration tax. 

It would need some bloat to avoid embarrassing the Hexa and Lasiq though, X-Visor, light shotgun, and MA1 should do it :P

I doubt the light shotgun - she's packing a Heavy Pistol already. I guess that's it for the weapons.

X-visor is possible (some other visors too), I wouldn't be excluding some form of a Hacking Device either.

I was thinking of the classic bloat skills CB have used, adding a light shotgun to make a unit more expensive was a classic N2 trick, especially as they were kind of awful back then. 

What about Sensor on a Sniper? Triangulated Fire wouldn't be quite as good against revealed ODD/TO as MSV2, but damned close, and wouldn't shoot through smoke. BS 13, Sensor, TO camo, no infiltration.

Regarding Ninja: a Ninja is so very precious to ISS for its hacking profiles more than the sniper, so regardless of if she gets TO camo or ODD, the Ninja won't be replaced because by large the Ninja is presumably not used in the sniper role anywhere near as often as in hacking roles. It could be that she's there specifically to ease up on the pressure on the Ninja profiles without increasing Ninja (aka Killer Hacker) AVA.

For the sake of argument, though, Marksmanship LX on a BS 14 or 15 platform would be very interesting. It is high enough that dropping to one bullet is nearly universally better.

At any point, this game has so many snipers that regardless of what we theorize, she's going to end up "like unit X, but better". Lasiq? Don't care*. Intruder? Intruder isn't Yu Jing. If she's a Mercenary only available to a single sectorial, that means she's going to offer something that they didn't think the vanilla faction should have access to. Other factions be damned, they really don't matter.

* Actually, I do care about Lasiq, but mostly because it is not unlikely that she is modelled on a Lasiq, but since she's a special character she's likely going to be a Lasiq Plus. In this case we'd need to ask ourselves "what upgrades would a Lasiq have to make it especially interesting in ISS?"

Actually, I love the Sensor idea. It would be giving some purpose to those damn Sniffers (IIRC Celestial Guard or Bao troops already pack a Sensor loadout, but still). Damn pity we don't have Sensors in Haqq beside the ubiquitous Rafiq the Sensor Bot...

17 minutes ago, Errhile said:

Actually, I love the Sensor idea. It would be giving some purpose to those damn Sniffers (IIRC Celestial Guard or Bao troops already pack a Sensor loadout, but still). Damn pity we don't have Sensors in Haqq beside the ubiquitous Rafiq the Sensor Bot...

Zhanying and Crane have Sensor.

It'd be sweet if there's more Sensor+Sniffer in game in general, but I'd also like it if Celestial Guards had a profile with Sniffers. Preferably the combi and LT profile or the Boarding Shotgun profile (Sniffer is cheap enough that it could conceivably not increase cost).

Marksmanship Level 2 with nothing else would be very interesting.  Extreme damage output, but no utility or defensive abilities. 

I have to wonder at the proliferation of long-range special characters.  I feel like someone at CB really loves the image of the lone mercenary sniper... Certainly enough to give us three of them. 

I could see her as a decent female Djanbazan sniper proxy, so she's going to end up on my table in any case :)

3 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

At any point, this game has so many snipers that regardless of what we theorize, she's going to end up "like unit X, but better". Lasiq? Don't care*. Intruder? Intruder isn't Yu Jing. If she's a Mercenary only available to a single sectorial, that means she's going to offer something that they didn't think the vanilla faction should have access to. Other factions be damned, they really don't matter.

The thing is, ISS already has two very good active turn snipers with the Bao (smoke trick) and the Dakini (speed, mimetism, Marksmanship L2), plus cheap Bounty sniper for ARO. If anything, a standard sniper rifle with some stuff (Good BS, mimetism, MSV, etc...) might have been interesting purely for SWC economy, but she has a viral sniper which cost 1,5 SWC so it's not an option...

I guess a sniper with infiltrate/forward deployement and mimetism could be interesting to take advantage of transversal fire lanes (Bonus point for minelayer), but otherwise ISS doesn't need a new sniper really.

I think she'll be situationally useful, if not an auto include. If you routinely play against lots of warbands or antipodes, I can see viral ARO working very well. It can also do nasty things to expensive models with total immunity - sun tze v2 hates it, for example.

That's what's pretty nice about list building in infinity - a lot of times, certain pieces end up being much more useful for a certain opponent on a certain mission. As long as a model won't always sit on the shelf, it's a fun addition to the faction. You don't want a new model that just does what your old model does better, you want one that does something slightly different and works better sometimes, yet sometimes isn't worth the extra points because it's just not what you need to bring..

Anyway, who knows what tricks she'll have. ISS could always use more minelayers. If this is the sniper that brings the fabled marksmanship Lvl 3 we were expecting on knauf, we might all be impressed.

I understand Aristeia combatants as elite in what they do (eg. Musashi and CC), so I have hopes of her having some high BS, and Marksmanship lv2 to enhance that.
Regarding her equipment, I'd say that cloak will give her some kind of protection (I'd go with normal Camouflage or Mimetism), and hopefully she will get some kind of visor (any MSV would do for my taste). 
Total reaction or Neurocinetics might add to her uniqueness as well... (please!) :D 

Why is her name written like that in the logo? Like, left to right using the isolated forms of the arab characters. Not to mention not putting the vowels in the letters, but I can take that as most arab writings don't have the voweks.

I'll get her tho. She will probably be a fine addition to my projected "Bounty Hunters plus Cheerleaders" list.

Don't forget that at some point Cb is likely to start doing Mercs lists again. So perhaps we're seeing a useful thing for the future (White Star?) tagged on to a current force to give it somewhere to hang in the meantime.

I'm with everyone thinking Lasiq-plus. A sniper who is actually mobile is a nice thing, if you play with a bit of vertical terrain. Maybe Forward Deployment?

10 hours ago, Errhile said:

CB could fix that.

What about a bio-visor?  I'm leaning towards Lasiq+, so what would make mimetism, climbing plus, and XVisor, but I'd rather have the bio or MSV instead of XVisor.

13 minutes ago, the huanglong said:

360 visor, total reaction for those sick arena noscopes.

Pose supports that, or at least SSlv2.

A sniper in Aristeia? I'd bet on NEUROCINETICS. Come and get me, if you dare!