N21

Dodge ARO against Move+CC Attack

Question

Happened to me a couple of days ago. I was playing Tohaa, my Clipsos had successfully stunned a Dog-warrior. Then one of my Triads (Neema, Sukeul, Sakiel) declared Move, in order to enter BtB with the Dog-warrior and subsequently declare a CC Attack with Neema as the second half of the order. Ariadna player declared Dodge ARO, succeeded with the PH-3 roll, moved the model 2", and then claimed that I cannot make a СС Attack, because the Dog-warrior made a successful Dodge, thus automatically disengaging from CC. We argued over this a little and then agreed that successful Dodge against Move doesn't prevent a subsequent CC Attack.

What is the correct way to resolve this?

15 answers to this question

You declared a move to X point, opponent declared a dodge away from X point, you declared a cc attack using martial arts (assuming that's where the -3 on PH came from?).

If the dodge beat your CC roll, why would you still get to hit him? At the end of the order, he's no longer at X and you missed the attack.

If your CC roll beat the Dodge, then he failed the Face to Face roll and doesn't get to move, and you hit with the CC attack.

Short answer - you started rolling dice too soon!

Long answer:

1. Triad declares Move, measure and move the models.
  2. Dog Warrior declares Dodge including where they wish to move if the Dodge is successful and unbeaten.
  3. Triad declares CC Attack.
  4. Resolve the opposed Face to Face Roll between the Triad Leader's CC Attack and the Dog Warrior's Dodge.

If the Triad Leader wins the FtF Roll, the Dog Warrior will be locked in combat and making saves.

If the Dog Warrior wins the FtF Roll, his Dodge will avoid the incoming attacks and move him 2" away, out of combat.

@IJW Wartrader, thanks! I knew it had to be a Face to Face roll, just couldn't find it :)

To piggy back on this, would martial arts effect this roll? Would it still effect the dog warrior if he declared a shoot instead?

See 'How to Read CC Charts' on http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/CC_Special_Skills

The opponent's MOD will apply to any FtF Roll, whether it's a Dodge, BS Attack, CC Attack, a Hacking Program etc.

If the Dog Warrior did something that wasn't a FtF Roll, such as firing a Chain Rifle, the opponent's MOD wouldn't apply.

You declared a move to X point, opponent declared a dodge away from X point, you declared a cc attack using martial arts (assuming that's where the -3 on PH came from?).

The -3 came from Stunned state :) I figured that making a CC attack with Neema's Viral Pistol while having another friendly model in BtB (yes, I somehow pulled this off) would be much more efficient than BS attacks. Because +3 DMG from Martial Arts L2 and +1B from a friendly trooper in the same combat.

On the other hand, I actually could've just ignored the Dog Warrior after stunning him and go for the objective :D

5 hours ago, N21 said:

The -3 came from Stunned state :) I figured that making a CC attack with Neema's Viral Pistol while having another friendly model in BtB (yes, I somehow pulled this off) would be much more efficient than BS attacks. Because +3 DMG from Martial Arts L2 and +1B from a friendly trooper in the same combat.

On the other hand, I actually could've just ignored the Dog Warrior after stunning him and go for the objective :D

Does the DAM bonus from Martial Arts apply to weapons that don't use PH such as pistols?

Does the DAM bonus from Martial Arts apply to weapons that don't use PH such as pistols?

I couldn't find any rule against that, so why it shouldn't?

39 minutes ago, N21 said:

I couldn't find any rule against that, so why it shouldn't?

Because  the pistol has a fixed damage. 

The ccw's (and knoife's) damage depends on a MODifiable PHY.

That and the explanation of the CC Special Skills MODs says the damage bonus is added to the trooper's PHY to calculate the damage increase.

Thanks, I didn't notice that.

Rulebook, page 99, "How to read cc charts":

"» Damage MOD: A MOD to the PH Attribute of the user to determine the Damage of a successful CC Attack. "

CB could've just marked the DMG MOD cell with an asterisk and explained it below the table..

They could do that nine times (eighteen when it's done for the Opponent's MOD column as well), or do it once in the bit that explains how the charts work... ;) 

Why nine or eighteen times? You just place an asterisk next to the header cell, and make a reference to the 'How to read CC Charts' article. Easy :)

There are eight CC Skill charts. You suggested adding the text below every chart.