AgeOfEgos

Template (Flame thrower or shotgun) ARO vs. Move - CC

Question

I have model A that declares a Move which brings him to base to base with Model B

Model B declares a BS attack using a template (Auto-hit)

Is Model B's template attack canceled as it was engaged when it declared it's ARO, therein the template would hit a friendly (himself) and the enemy?

Or does this happen?

Model A takes a hit from the flamethrower, needs to make a save (and keep making saves due to fire if he fails)

Model B takes the CC hit (Normal Roll from Model A)

Sorry if this is a silly question, new to the game and the "Can't target in CC" part is tripping me up with Templates.  If it auto hits, seems pretty suicidal to ever CC someone with a template!

9 answers to this question

Direct template weapons have an exception which says they do not hit the shooting model - they are placed touching the model so it would be awkward otherwise!

The second one. 

The trooper attacking with the template can choose to target the active model at a point before they reach CC.

Yes, running straight at someone with a flamethrower tends to end badly. 

Direct Template Weapon hits, and the CC attacker gets a Normal roll (no face to face to cancel the attack).

This could potentially be suicidal, yes, but it might be worth the trade. My faction example: Ariadna Galwegians for 6 points. CC 20 something. If I can take out a bigger model and only lose 6 points, I'm totally OK with that!

Alternately, this is why you might use Stealth to creep up behind someone's facing, forcing them to ARO with CC-valid options, and not get a BS attack option.

Now that I'm home, I can paste the relevant rules passage. http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Template_Weapons_and_Equipment

IMPORTANT!
Even in contact with the Template, troopers declaring an Attack with a Direct Template weapon are not affected by it, unless the description of such weapon states the contrary.

Do note that there is a type of Direct Template Weapon that we (afaik) haven't seen yet - circular direct template weapons. Essentially an aura or emanation that uses the circular template and is focused directly on the attacker.

@Col that's not how it works. If it were, you would be able to move though a template weapon with the rest of your link team or coordinated order models. The relevant FAQ is thus:

N3 Frequently Asked Question Updated: 1.1
Q: When a group of troopers activate simultaneously (using a Coordinated Order or a Fireteam, for example), and they receive an ARO from a Template Weapon, does the attack affect all the troops that traverse the area of effect at any time during the Order, or does the Reactive Player have to declare the exact moment where he places the template, affecting only some of the targets?
A: The template affects all the troopers that get in contact with the area of effect during this Order, as everything happening during the Order is simultaneous.
Related Pages: ARO, Coordinated Orders, Fireteams in the Active Turn, G: Servant, G: Synchronized, Template Weapon

Circular templates have always been impact only, I doubt we will see any DTWs added with Circular.

16 minutes ago, macfergusson said:

Circular templates have always been impact only, I doubt we will see any DTWs added with Circular.

There is always a first time for everything (techbee giving WIP bonus on other models) :P

Aura effect would be good, but even in the case of chest mine they made it be a directional template. With reason, you don't want to kill yourself. actually... kuang shi self-exploding use circular template, but not directly as an attack unlike chest mines. E/M circular DTW attacks would still be possible, or a nanotech that shoots all directions around you, or poison cloud.

The terminology was different due to the edition change, but in N2 Mines could detonate with a circular template and E/Marats used a circular template that also hit the user, and they were both Direct Template Weapon equivalents.

Forgot about those.... " some exceptions may apply." Lol