Col

MAY we have a speculation thread? Full releases in Op 24/4

662 posts in this topic

That deserves an upvote. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Cothel said:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

You're gloating about the absence of a downvote button aren't you? Well played.

2 minutes ago, Teslarod said:

You're gloating about the absence of a downvote button aren't you? Well played.

Nah, he's simply pandering for up-votes. 

Just now, ItsUncertainWho said:

Nah, he's simply pandering for up-votes. 

Was afraid that could be the case and fell for it for the completely wrong reasons *curses* 

1 hour ago, Teslarod said:

Was afraid that could be the case and fell for it for the completely wrong reasons *curses* 

You can always take it back. ;)

5 hours ago, Cothel said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Keep rolling, kitty!

12 hours ago, Solar said:

Having a relatively large amount of upvotes compared to posts could mean any of a number of things and not all of those things necessarily mean that your opinions are relevant, well thought out or even supported. Just means people upvoted you for whatever reason.

You know who get the most upvotes to posts ratio? People who regularly post their painted minis of quality/terrain/art and nothing else. Their opinions on anything else doesn't really come into that now does it!

I'm certainly more inclined to listen to the opinion of those people than filthy nopaints peasants.

57 minutes ago, Spleen said:

I'm certainly more inclined to listen to the opinion of those people than filthy nopaints peasants.

I'm not saying nopaints are scum whose opinions belong in the trash or anything, just that if a paints and a nopaints were drowning in a river, I'd save the paints first.

Then, when the nopaint's family sells his unpainted army for what he told them he paid for it, I'll be there to hoover it up and paint it without need of dettol and metho. 

Upvotes to posts ratio doesn't grade the quality of someone's opinions count more or less.

HOWEVER, it does mean that people felt that their posts contributed to the forum at large sufficiently for them to upvote them.  Banning that person means banning their contributions.

My point wasn't that: his opinion counts as much as yours because you have the same post to upvote ratio.  My point was that one person was calling for the ban of another person when looking at their post to upvote ratio is a pretty decent indicator of the rate at which people feel like both parties have made contributions, and maybe the party calling for the ban out to look in a mirror and wonder if it might be possible that someone else with a similar contribution rate might be contributing too.  Because objectively they are.

As for down votes...  That relies on the concept that speech can be a negative contribution.  Which in my opinion is abject bullshit of the highest order, and the foundation for a highly dangerous mentality.  No speech has ever been uttered that actually made people dumber for hearing it.  Much speech has been uttered that made people more enlightened for hearing it, and a goodly portion of that speech resulted from people listening to speech they didn't like and attempting to articulate why they didn't like it.

The internet is the most dangerous piece of technology ever created.  Not because it enables speech, but because of its unprecedented ability to filter speech in a way that has never existed in human history, and ultimately allowing humans to engage in a brand of tribalism so pure that the evolutionary environment that lead to tribal tendencies never accounted for it.  You can't put someone on ignore at Thanksgiving dinner.  One click on the internet and you become blissfully unaware of opinions you dislike or challenge your preconceptions.  Your neighbors one hut over or your coworkers at the office will have opinions that don't align exactly with yours (unless you live or work in a cult compound) because random factors instead of uniformity of opinion is the primary driver in how people associate in the non-internet world, and these people have to deal with each other constructively and learn to see alternate view points as a result.  One search on google and you can find people half way across the globe out of a sea of billions with opinions exactly like yours.  One click and you silence any opinion not in perfect tune with the rest of that echo chamber.  In that perfect echo chamber people can double down harder and harder on their opinion to the agreement of all (well, except the ones that didn't agree and were silenced with a click), and can lead them into more and more extreme stances.  To my understanding, ISIS most likely wouldn't exist if the internet didn't allow a very small number of people around the world to use the connection and filtering capabilities the internet offers to form a virtual private cult.

The ignore button is nobodies friend.  Anything that is a tool to create the sound of uniformity surrounded by silence is the true negative contribution to us all by being the breeding ground of extreme actions: Like advocating that someone be silenced for all listeners because you don't like their opinions.

While i agree with much of what you said I also believe the ignore button is there because there are people who frequently dont contribute anything to the discussion. I for one I'm glad to engage opposing view points, hopefully we end up moving our views slightly to the middle or in the  "worst" case scenario we merely agree to disagree after respectful debate.

But we both know that isnt how the internet functions, there are hordes of people out there who might reply to your every statement with "nuh uh, you are just an idiot", and while some times it is cathartic to unleash an unending string of expletives back, the reality is nothing of value was contributed to the discussion , once you notice a pattern you can easily hit the ignore button and stop wasting your time.

I think there is a difference between ignoring disruptive people and creating an echo chamber,  but im looking at your post in a vacuum without reading the prior ones,  so there might be a reason your post applies to this specific case