Edster

Mars Attacks - Industrial off-planet trading city

46 posts in this topic

Some rooftop and fencetop billboards will help reduce the snipers arcs of fire, that Ninja sniper looks like she should have owned most of the table.

Very nice, and things placed so they match the print below... all looks well integrated. :thumb-up::aha-!:

It doesn't work for the chickenbot (as per the rules, the ENTIRE base must be supported - ie no overhangs) but otherwise, the idea is sound and so is the execution.

Thumbs up.

Awesome stuff! This board seems like a treat to play on.

What is the yellow APC vehicle? I am thinking some warsaw pact APC with the sides removed?  I am looking for something good and cheap for my an ariadna setting.

Thanks @zagdag! I'm looking forward to getting some games in this weekend. There's a Nomad threat on the horizon and it'll be cool to get involved in Wotan. Will upload some pics.

the vehicles are by Airfix and 1:48 scale - the British expeditionary forces collection. I must say they were a joy to build! It's plastic and the detail is great. 

This model is the Jackal and I have a 6x wheeled supacat coyote waiting to be built. The tuk tuk is a conversion of a trailer from the quad bikes with the infinity Kum unicycles. Again I have another waiting for a little more conversion work.

here is a link to a thread for scale - 

Wow, that is great to look at! I don't know what a 'long-term project' is to you, to me you've assembled all this in breathtaking speed! :D The dusty paintjob is on point, if it's really that easy to do then it's just perfect! Makes me look at my stuff if I should give it more hues.

I'm taking the matchstick-palettes with me. I wanted to do palettes for some time, and when you encounter an idea like yours, where you realize you have all the material already lying around, practically for free, it's just the best!

The touches with the posters and graffiti are great, tearing them up makes it very lived in! How did you do the pretty straight looking chinese signs on the round generator towers? Template + airbrush?

A comment what I would tweak about the terrain: looking at the pictures, the FedEx scatter terrain pieces are great, but the white is very sterile and clean, standing out a lot to me in these dusty surrounding.  Can you dust them up somehow, dimming the flashy white? Pigments maybe?

And an idea for an extra layer of detail done very quick: I thought when I would start doing boxes/ barrels grouped together on a palette like yours, I'd try to wrap some piles up in plastic. Seems plausible and should look nice and immersive! Clingfilm should work?  And maybe some spots of Mars dust on top of that plastic wrap, cause it's windy and the stuff is getting everywhere, right?

Pallet_wrapper.JPG

Amazing table for just 2 months (really?!) time of assembly. Great job man!

Your terrain looks great!  Keep up the good work and I hope you find some local opponents.

Thanks guys @PauloCavalcanti @ToadChild And especially  @Yunzhi for the kind words since you are an inspiration to me dude!

loooking back, yeah it's been a really quick turnaround I guess! I started in April and just got addicted. My painting is super quick and energetic which really helps - is is all spray can and brush.

I use a limited palette to keep the board unified - white, grey, bluey turquoise and orange/Fluoro yellow for highlights. The extra depth of colour comes from the paint splashes and 'mars dust'

1. Spray model grey for white main colour or black for grey main colour 

2. Spray over with white (or grey) as base colour, treat as highlight - ease up on the can - 'speckling' or 'dusting' by holding it further away or pressing nozzle softly.

3. Spray bottom edges rusty brown - again 'dusting' from further away 

4. Splash and paint lots of bright colors over model - be careful not to overdo it, keep colour in a similar palette. I'm going for dusty pastel hues and soft neons to represent  lights.

5. Paint details (usually panels are a soft grey and features turquoise)

6*. Cover whole thing in watered down black wash

7. Using off white slightly wet and an old brush 'streak' from top to bottom a little at a time. It's a bit like dry brushing with a glaze and a streaky brush.

8. Dry brush highlighted edges with white

9. Using watered black wash do the edges

10. Finish with glazed weathering of 'mars dust colour' focused on the bottom and the areas dust would collect in corners etc.

11. Stick ripped posters and printed out tech panels using white glue - I put a quick wash over the posters once they're dry.

12. Stencils are a paper cut I made and done with white paint and dabbing with a brush. I've tried to keep all the stencils and posters the same throughout to unify the scenery.

there is sometimes a 6A* step where I will 'dust' the model with white spray can after the watered down black wash depending on how white I want it to look - I will have to put some pics in of this. Basically its all spray cans and wet streaky paints. 

I've been meaning to paint the paper terrain but haven't got them all together in one place yet as they get stored away after use and I've been too excited about new projects. Love the idea of the cellophane scatter! I was thinking of using paper cloths like Tarpaulin and even making little awnings on bits and bobs, but I've been focused on my main buildings at the moment to fill up the bulk of the board. Talking of which, I've been building a small rocky pump building today so will upload that tomorrow probably. 

It is worth saying to myself that I've put more time into the hobby over the past month or so as I'd rather spend my free time on something creative and hands on then playing computer games or watch tv or whatever. I am a designer by trade and sometimes it's nice to use my 'skills' in my own time on 'non-commercial' projects for myself. I find painting and building very relaxing and enjoyable. 

The other motivation is definitely the community here - I am constantly inspired and interested in everyone's work and the support they give each other - it's a great feeling to be part of such a creative, positive community.

I would love to do tutorials or some kind of blog - that will be my long term project. Something I'm thinking about for the future.

thanks again guys!

Just one word :

Awesome .... Awesome ... 

Incredible work ... i am not just fan of multi-color flower ... in fact if i had to change something i would have repaint all the flower in reds nuance ... 

But this is a fantastic project ... how many around us says "I would like to have a table ..." and how many does one.

This is a terrific work 

Just a note to say that I love your work! I'm currently working on my Bourak Table, and yours has been an inspiration (yes, yes, I've been lurking around for some time). The colours and atmosphere is spot on! I'll go for something a little "cleaner", but really, I am a huge fan of your table.

I also struggled with some of the Micro Arts buildings myself, but I put that on my desire to make an L-shaped garage with the pieces scavenged from a Garage and a guard tower... It was a headache at some points (I obviously had to cheat here and there since I did not have all the necessary pieces), but as you said, their stuff is still great and pretty sturdy. Plus painting those is such a pleasure.

I'm just curious about one thing though (if you don't mind), with all the spray paint you're using, why don't you invest in an airbrush? Not saying you should, (you should, it's amazing) just curious. Spray paint, if you have to buy several cans, can quickly become rather expensive.

Thanks a lot guys @Epidote @KayWroshyr it means a lot to lure a lurker out ;) I was a fellow lurker for a while too before I introduced myself - every comment like this makes it worth while so feel free to share when you're ready! This site was my first ever blog posts and now I'm thinking about starting a website!! 

In the meantime I've got a step by step to follow up on. This build took 1 day - but the concept was knocking around my head for a week. The trick with speedy builds is actually the design. The physical build and execution is mostly the easy bit - as long as you have an idea or plan and stick to it you can bang it out quickly. 

Designing takes the longest part - coming up with ideas and solutions for how to solve problems. I know this happens as you go along, but if you get a plan together first projects are quick and focused.

Base your ideas around inspirations - I use Pinterest and store screenshots off my phone from my commute on my computer. Base ideas around peers - check out ALL the pages on this thread (theres around 40-50 i think). There is a ton of amazing design and ideas bouncing around in here as well as other websites for other games. And finally just remember - you don't have to be a brilliant designer or artist or creative or builder - check out my crappy sketches! They're scrappy and quick but they give me the idea and then I build off that. Paper and pencil are your tools. Get sketching.

STEP 1 SKETCH IT OUT

sketching - on the train - in front the telly - on the toilet - wherever and whenever - added bonus - it gets your tired eyes away from the screen for an hour or so.

sketch1.jpg

looking at the scaffolding to scale for the pipes - I used coffee stirrers on the build cos they're cheap. I counted each piece I needed and measured and then cut them all in one go - bulk production saves time. The sketch is to scale so I simply placed them on top as a 'template' when building the frames. 

sketch2.jpg 

The base gave me an idea of how big to make the rocks underneath and what to expect on the table.

sketch3.jpg

STEP 2 BUILDING

I missed a few steps I'm afraid as I forgot to photo. I used plasticard and old MDF sprue parts - the door was from a MAS Habitat build I have where I made sure to keep the spare door off it for a project like this. 

NOTE  - the building and rock are not glued together yet for painting. The white stuff is spackle which I used to try to stop the spray paint melting the pink foam.

rock2.JPG

rock1a.JPG

rock1.JPG

rock2a.JPG

STEP 3 painting

I painted both parts separately but this is a guide to my technique for painting buildings

PAINTING 1 - Spray paint - all over gray, then rust brown 'dusting' along the bottom edges and finally a white 'dusting' from above

spray1.JPG

PAINTING 2 - paint splatter - use different colors to make points of interest and depth. I like to use pastel hues and neons to represent lights reflections

spray2.JPG

PAINTING 3 watered down wash - I use black and this pot of sticky badness was bought from a FLGS I only use it for terrain. You could use any colour depending on your preference - brown/blue/red, but remember to water it down. 

spray3.JPG

PAINTING 4 - white glaze streaks - once wash dry using an old brush with a bit of wet white paint start to streak white paint from the top down the model. It's a technique I've invented called Wet-Dry-brush... Be gentle and soft and remember that it will tint the other colours out a bit

spray4.JPG

PAINTING 5 - dusting - while painting the orange mars dust rocks - glaze over the parts of the building that will collect dust and be dirty. I use the same manky brush from the last step and make sure it is watered down paint and really just let loose and don't worry about mistakes - it goes with the look of the piece

spray6.JPG

spray7.JPG

PAINTING 6 and FINAL CONSTRUCTION - use the black wash and do the outlines of detail around the edges of the pieces. I then glue the elements together including the walkways and the steps I made (which are huge and out of scale but do fit minis on). I go back and touch up any details that get mucked up in this process. 

spray12.JPG

spray9.JPG

spray11.JPG

All of that took 1 *FULL* day to build and paint. We are missing the final stage to add posters and do the details but I have not had time yet as it is a busy week in the office. 

Now I need your help - I need to find a way of Varnishing the models to make them last longer and stop the Spackle from chipping away. I use Testors Dull coat varnish and really feel like there must be something better out there. 

PLEASE let me know if you have any advice for Varnish! 

--

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial - let me know if you have any tips for improving the next one.

Heres a cheeky reward for lasting to the end - my 8pt Daylami using the new terrain to his advantage and smashing a Su-Jian who was, quite frankly, asking for it... 'Till the next time! 

daylami.JPG

Thank you for the tutorial!
It is great to see such awesome looking terrain without the need of an airbrush. Very inspiring!