Edster

Mars Attacks - RAISED PLATFORM UPDATE pic heavy

58 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I'm having trouble getting regular games in Boston as there are no stores that are really suitable. So I thought screw this, I'd build my own board.

I want to create a Sci Fi industrial city off planet. Somewhere tough and gritty and dirty, but also habitable. A city that revolves around the mining the heck out of the planets resources and acting as a trading colony. It also has to be a little bit alien - maybe some kind of strange artifact has just been dug up a la 2001:Space Odyssey or maybe forerunner architecture coexisting with the settlers. 

I'm planning for asian influences and nods in architecture and the graphics/graffiti. It is a clash of colours and dust and graphics.

Obviously Mars is a big influence here - but generic red dust planet is the story for now. 

This is my first board ever and a long term project. Expect this to be something that will take time. In terms of resources, I am investing in a game mat and some key pieces of terrain. I will try to make everything else on a budget. Starting out with papercraft/scratch build scatter to get a board up and running.

MOOD BOARD

inspiration.jpg

Since you mentioned papercraft stuff, here's a tip: while heavy duty paper or cardboard will make for surprisingly durable terrain, you don't need to make them out of paper. If you desire (i for one don't as i think cardboard is enough), use the model as a base to make things out of plasticard.

Also, here's a great resource for free papercraft, and i won't link them because of forum rules but WorldWorks is to everybody's surprise still around and selling great stuff as it has for years.

I feel your pain concerning Boston. When I left two years ago, I couldn't get a game in regularly at all. Good luck there man. I just recommend demos. Pandemonium is decent for it also Hobby Bunker in Medford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome start! If you have ever come down to Virginia, lemme know and we'll get you a game. 

I really do recommend reaching out to Lazlo and Wax and DTJunkie in NYC. Also Plebian is in CT and I heard he's pretty good. 

On 4/4/2017 at 9:15 PM, RattlerNxt said:

Also Plebian is in CT and I heard he's pretty good. 

Fake news.

Board looks great btw.

Looking good!

At this point @det may be interested because it's a Papercraft heavy table :D

That looks great!

although, I have to say, the really skinny spires of rock look silly. No way they'd stay standing IRL. I like the ones you built better. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!

Ancient_Art.jpg

A solid pillar of rock is very different than the stack of rocks depicted by the terrain pieces, but I'm just expressing an opinion. Feel free to ignore it. B)

He (or Warlord Games*) went a bit overboard with randomness, yet Nature's "pranks" can be really weird:

Spoiler

white_desert.jpg

Mother-and-Child-Balancing-Rocks.jpg

And maybe they are one piece, yet look like multiple levels:

296px-Salt_cellar_2_%282%29.jpg321px-Barbarine004.jpg

They can look highly inestable too:

320px-TH_Phang_Nga_-_James_Bond_Island.j

They are just waiting to fall... strong storms destroyed interesting formations in recent months.

Or maybe aliens like to stack rocks too. :lol:

*: looking at the shop, it seems WG's are the absurdly random ones (another classic "model things like toys, sell them as miniatures"), while the big block he created look a lot more natural.

On 07/04/2017 at 2:20 AM, Edster said:

boardprocessingplant2.jpg

Bubbles can be fixed with some putty, or cut that and install a tube. Looks like plastic conduit used inside walls to lay cables, also sold precut as cable organizer.

Edit: no automerge posts today? :xp:

21 hours ago, Edster said:

@Plebian thanks dude.

PAPERCRAFT CRATES

I've downloaded numerous paper craft terrain off the internet and all of it seems good stuff. Its takes a bit of time to get used to, but it is doing a great job for me. 

The scatter crates I glued into little piles that stack like packed boxes or provide suitable barricades for models to shoot over. I made the pallets out of match sticks and PVA glue. 

boardpapercrates.jpg

PAPER VEHICLES

The offroad trucks are perfect for my mars terrain - I want them to be industrial and utilitarian not military styled. No guns really. They are a great size - big enough to provide a lot of cover and block LOF. They were tricky to put together at first, but I knocked the second yellow one out much quicker once I knew what to expect. The wheels I messed up a bit, but for wargaming purpose they look great. I know I still need to paint the white outlines, I will do that one day ;)

Also note the civ space craft - I cut and glued the bottom of a blister on the bottom to raise it up to provide total cover for S2 models. 

boardpapervehicles.JPGboardcloseup1.JPG

MAS HABITAT

I love the Micro Art Studio ranges I feel its really Sci Fi and utilitarian and durable. Also the prices are decent for what you get. This is the first building for my 'residential' city area and I have matching tower blocks to come. They can double up as general offices or whatever too. The bridge is plasticraft and the Tri adverts I made my self from cardboard. 

boardcloseup3.JPGboardhabitat.jpeg

PLANTERS 

idea for quick and easy planters - Tea Light Candles! Spray, stab a hole in the bottom, superglue some aquarium plants in, light the wick and melt the wax to secure. Don't inhale the melted plastic fumes. 

boardplanters.jpg

FENCES/GENERATOR

these I made from plasticard scraps I had knocking around. Super easy to do. The ripped poster graphics and TV screens I made help the aesthetic I want to achieve. I was going to do some more but ran out of the textured plasticard I like so may try cardboard. 

The silver Generator is from a Swifter mop debris I found in the street! still had the motor attached. I stuck a plastic bottle top on the end and a plastic circular shape I had knocking about. Had to make a little cardboard wedge to stand the motor up on.

boardfences.jpgboardcloseup2.JPG

NEXT UP 

more Micro Art Studio buildings - 2x tower blocks to fill in the habitat section. Also a few more walls and another building from an Australian brand. I am considering more paper scatter too - maybe a chicken hawk or walkers... will have to see what tickles my fancy. 

thanks for the support guys, makes it all the more worth while! 

Awesome stuff man! Nice samsaras you have there! I really need to build the ones I have...ooops...

One little tip for the papercraft: consider edgeing everything with a black felt marker...it really adds to it and you can quickly conceal any mistake done!

@Deathklokk @Plebian @Mob of Blondes @det @jherazob thanks for the advice and support Lads, I'm glad that we can get some discussion flowing - it helps a lot!! 

It seems that the Hoodoo Rocks are not to everyones taste and I'm cool with that. It was an experiment for me to create a rocky planet surface, but also act as scatter terrain. It helps naturalize the environment - I don't want just buildings and man made structures/scatter. 

I have noticed:

• They act as good cover but don't block LOS from all angles which is an interesting mechanic - you can flank your opponent.
  • Due to their height they can block or channel LOS from some rooftops, a sniper dominating a deployment rooftop for instance.

--

Moving forwards height is important to me - how to bring levels into the terrain. I purchased some Pink insulation foam to consider 'sand dunes'/big rock outcrops/craters with bark rocky cliffs as an interesting alternative to buildings and sky scrapers. 

To be clear, I love the idea of rock pillars and the use of bark chips (I have a bag of them in my work area awaiting my desert table construction!) it's just that some of the towers just look either way too symmetrical or absurdly unstable. 

Loving the table so far though! When I start doing my wasteland themed table I hope it looks as good.

@Deathklokk thanks mate :) that's awesome - I hope I can help inspire you! 

The bark was so simple and a massive light bulb moment for me- and best of all super cheap! 

Just go and steal it from your Neighbour's rhododendron patch 🌷😉

Another thing that's made a difference, I believe, is giving everything a good 'mars dusting' after painting to fit into the mat! My painting is not the best so dirtying it up helps it feel more lifelike for this scheme.

good luck! 👊

11 minutes ago, Edster said:

Just go and steal it from your Neighbour's rhododendron patch 🌷😉

Beware, it's said that natural stuff like this may have natural stuff living inside it, so you better ensure that it doesn't, i think heating them in an oven for a bit was one way but honestly i'm not sure, never done it

4 hours ago, jherazob said:

Beware, it's said that natural stuff like this may have natural stuff living inside it, so you better ensure that it doesn't, i think heating them in an oven for a bit was one way but honestly i'm not sure, never done it

Yeah, I found a wonderful piece of bark once that came complete with an ants nest. half a can of fly spray later and its seen over 20 years of use on my games table.

Robert